LEB Discussion Thread '10

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Well that's what I'm thinking! I know I can swap two dagger with relative ease. Someone with melee combat experience/training could likely do it with much more ease.

To clarify. My sorceress now has two magic daggers. If both are already drawn, what kind of action would it be to change which is the primary implement, and which is the secondary?

Velmont

First Post
As I have seen no rules about being left handed and right handed, we can suppose all adventurers are ambidextrous and can use either dagger as primary...

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Well that would certainly be in my favor. The only thing I can think of against that, is that you're Main Hand and you're Off Hand are distinguished as being two different item slots. It would seem odd, to suddenly be able to claim which hand is which (say in the middle of combat), instead of having to take an action to unequip each hand, and reequip each hand.

Then again, it seems un-realistic to require four actions in order to unequip and re-equip each hand individually.

If this was my real life game I think I would rule as DM that it take one minor action, but I'm hoping maybe someone can think of something more solid to rule on.

Velmont

First Post
Why is it unrealistic? The rules say you can hold you breath 3 minutes underwater, so why cannot every adventurer be ambidextrous?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
The two legal ways that we have involve either two move actions, or four minor actions.

1) Drop weapon 1 free, drop weapon 2 free, pick up weapon 1 move, pick up weapon 2 move.

2) Stow weapon 1 minor, stow weapon 2 minor, retrieve weapon 1 minor, retrieve weapon 2 minor.

So, I think it is reasonable to use two minor actions to achieve this, one to move item 1 from primary to off hand and one to move item 2 from off hand to primary.

One minor action seems a bit generous considering how many actions it takes to do this with the rules that we do have.

Having said that, there are no requirements to use an implement in a primary hand if casting a spell. So, there is no need to swap the daggers. Use whichever one you want.

Having said that, if you are using Dual Implement Spellcaster, you are required to use the additional damage implement in your off hand. And, PCs do have a "main hand" and "off hand". So in this case, you are more or less required to swap the daggers.

Walking Dad

First Post
What about characters that are canonical left-handed?

And yes, there is a main hand and an off hand mentioned (not right and left!), but I thought this more as a kind of 'stance', switchable at will.

Velmont

First Post
1) Drop weapon 1 free, drop weapon 2 free, pick up weapon 1 move, pick up weapon 2 move.

Compedium said:
Minor Action

Minor actions are enabling actions, simple actions that usually lead to more exciting actions. You can normally take them only on your turn. Examples: pulling an item from a pouch or a sheath, opening a door or a treasure chest, picking up an item in your space or in an unoccupied square within reach.

Considering someone at your feet is within your reach, I would call that a minor to pick up an item, unless within reach mean you don't have to bend down to take it (like someone hand an item to you or it lay on a table)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases