LEB Discussion Thread '10

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Telepathy allows two way communication. It is not explicitly specified if the non-telepath can initiate, but if we make the (reasonable) inference that the kalashtar is always "listening" such as our ears are, so that a non-kalashtar can telepathically attempt to call out.

"a non-kalashtar can telepathically attempt to call out"

Non-kalashtars do not have telepathic abilities. By allowing them to "telepathically call out", you are giving telepathic abilities to a non-telepathic race.

The Group Mind feat gives this, but why should non-kalashtars get it for free?

The kalashtar might be "telepathically listening", but without a telepathic transmitter, how does the non-kalashtar dial the call?

The purpose of Group Mind is not just to allow non-kalashtar PC 1 to communicate with non-kalashtar PC 2 without the kalashtar PC filtering the message and to allow simulataneous communication, it is also to allow non-kalashtar PC 1 to telepathically communicate in the first place ("Any ally within the range of your telepathy can communicate", not just the kalashtar). By giving the non-kalashtar PC a telepathic mouth with which to dial the call for free, you are giving the most important part of this feat to the non-kalashtar PCs in the party and invalidating most of the utility of the feat.

A kalashtar without the feat can totally emulate most aspects of the feat by just saying "go ahead guys, I'll forward your messages". Why have the feat if the kalashtar PC basically gets it for free anyway. Nobody would take the feat.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Your reading is a more strict one, I agree. It comes down to the analogy used:
- The communication channel one, like radio. This is the more strict one.
- The senses channel one, like hearing. This is the more lenient one.
There seems little in the rules clarifying which is the correct one. Groupmind lets two PCs without telepathy communicate mentally directly; the ability to communicate between the telepathic and non-telepathic PC is granted by telepathy itself (if you use the more lenient version, not if you use the more strict).

If you want to fix a version of it in LEB canon, a proposal is the way to go.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
There seems little in the rules clarifying which is the correct one.

The only thing we have in the rules is the difference of:

Telepathy: You can communicate

Group Mind: Any ally can communicate

There does appear to be rules intent here.

If you want to fix a version of it in LEB canon, a proposal is the way to go.

Agreed. I just wanted to see what other people thought before putting through a proposal.

renau1g

First Post
Any thought of doing a census of power source as well?

No problem. Here we go. Also included the character just submitted. I think I have the power sources right. Arcane are the most common (although there's 6 with that power source and only 4 with the others). Shadow's the least common (only assassin so far) and the others are about the same.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Just an FYI, I'll be off in about a half hour or so for the holidays and at home watching the boys. I'll certainly be less post-y at that point and will not be around after noon or so EST tomorrow (the 24th) until likely Monday the 28th (also slow posting that week, still watching the boys, daycare's closed). Resuming normal posting rates on Monday Jan. 4th.

If I'm holding up any games feel free to NPC me. Enjoy the holidays everyone!

KarinsDad

Adventurer
No problem. Here we go. Also included the character just submitted. I think I have the power sources right. Arcane are the most common (although there's 6 with that power source and only 4 with the others). Shadow's the least common (only assassin so far) and the others are about the same.

Thanks for doing this. I'll definitely bring in a Controller for my next PC with this information.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
A Question: Anyone know how to get MapTools from trying to re-download itself everytime I run it?

elecgraystone

First Post
Agreed. I just wanted to see what other people thought before putting through a proposal.
I'll have to agree with KarinsDad. I see it this way.

Everyone has a phone but only the kalashtar's has a key pad. The non-telepath can pick up the phone but only get a dial tone. If it doesn't work this way then think what happens when a kalashtar walks into a crowded bar and a dozen people are in their range. They wouldn't be able to hear themselves think. For there own sanity I'd think that kalashtar wouldn't 'always "listening"'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases