LEB Discussion Thread '10

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathfinderq1

First Post
I'm not sure if this question has been addressed, but with lots of folks hitting that magic 5th level I figured I should ask: For the House-ruled "free expertise", is this still considered a Feat bonus (as if the expertise feats are given out free), or is it an untyped bonus (thus stacking with some of the feats which grant situational attack bonuses, like Mror Stalwart from the EPG)?

EDIT: Also, since I forgot to do this when Sweetness leveled up, and my approvals for level 5 missed it, do I need to resubmit for approval after fixing it? Also, I have two approvals for level 5, but the bottom status bar still lists as 'Approved for level 4'- do I change that, or should one of the two approval-granters make that change so it is official?

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
I would put it as a feat bonus as the whole point is avoid every character taking expertise as a feat (i.e. feat tax) so this is a feat bonus. Also, it avoids any crazy stacking bonuses this way.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
I would rather it not be a feat bonus. My problem with expertise is that it's so good that...

a: everyone should eventually take it, and...

b: it makes feats like Hellfire Blood and the like poor choices.

I'd rather solve both problems than just one. If Tieflings gaining an additional +1 to attack (and damage) with fire and fear powers wasn't overpowered before, I don't think it's any worse now.

ryryguy

First Post
The issue of whether it is a feat bonus aside, how do we note it on our sheets? As a bonus feat?

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The Expertise Feats (Weapon/Implement) do not provide a feat bonus; its just a bonus. So it stacks.

As for noting it, I just put it under feats (see Tondrek).

EvolutionKB

First Post
I too did add to the the feat section of Valahad.

Also wanted to make sure my latest PC didn't get lost in the shuffle of new recruits.

[sblock=Link]http://www.enworld.org/wiki/index.php/LEB:pC:Varak_Satyurk_%28EvolutionKB%29[/sblock]

On Puget Sound

First Post
Talenta dinosaur rider?

I'm working on my LEB character, a Talenta halfling beastmaster ranger with pet lizard. It seems pretty straightforward (though I sure wish I could just import from Character Builder... this template thing is taking forever), but...

There doesn't seem to be a way to RIDE my dinosaur companion, as shown on virtually all the artwork featuring halflings from this culture. Fasteiths and clawfoots are both medium sized lizards with the "medium mount" ability, but ranger's companions are generic and don't have any specific abilities other than the generic ones described in the class feature.

I'm not looking for any "Mount" powers, or a fasteith's speed, but I wonder if it might be possible to create a feat:
Riding Companion
Prerequisite: small size, ranger, beastmaster class feature.
Your animal companion will accept you as a rider.

Alternately, if I purchase a clawfoot and take the Mounted Combat feat, can we just assume that the purchased creature IS my companion, with standard companion stats, but also has the "Mount" abilities (only) of the purchased animal? (I say clawfoot and not fasteith because the clawfoot is the speed-6, combat capable version closest to the beastmaster generic lizard; the fasteith's speed 10 would be too radical a power for a companion to have).

ryryguy

First Post
I think there is no way (that I can find) to do this within the rules. Interestingly, there is a paragon path in the EPG that lets you turn your companion into a griffin, but that doesn't help you much.

I wonder, have you considered simply being a beastmaster ranger who has both a lizard companion and a separate mount, or an archer or dual-wielding ranger that has a mount? Both seem like they'd do a decent job capturing the Talenta halfling flavor.

Regarding a house rule solution to let you ride your companion, I'd definitely start by saying that the companion should remain primarily a companion, using the stats and rules for companions. A feat that essentially granted the companion the medium mount property, like the one you describe, seems quite fair, and seems like a simpler and more natural solution than having to pay to purchase the mount/companion.

I could be missing something, but I don't see that you'd really be gaining any great advantage in combat from riding your companion. You'd actually be losing out on its ability to be a flanking buddy and threaten a separate area while mounted. The main advantage would seem to be that you could use the ritual to bring it back when killed.

In fact I would venture that if the feat gave your companion the medium mount property, the clawfoot's Mount power, and you the equivalent of the Mounted Combat feat for riding the companion only, it would not be unbalanced. It would be a pretty steep cost to make you have to take Mounted Combat as a separate feat, considering that riding the companion doesn't really seem to give you that great of a benefit.

Of course I am not a judge. :) And you'd have to make a formal proposal for this house rule if you really want it. I'd definitely think seriously about just taking a regular mount... that way you could indeed have a fasteith!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases