LEB Discussion Thread '10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleverusername

First Post
That's weird. The Character Builder doesn't let me put them in the "Hands" Slot but rather in the main Hand or Off-Hand slot. So it seems like buying a +1 Spiked Gauntlet is actually a pair of them. Just curious as I plan to take Dual Strike as an at-will,

Thanks.

twilsemail

First Post
That's weird. The Character Builder doesn't let me put them in the "Hands" Slot but rather in the main Hand or Off-Hand slot. So it seems like buying a +1 Spiked Gauntlet is actually a pair of them. Just curious as I plan to take Dual Strike as an at-will,

Thanks.

It may have gotten errata'd I've only got my paper copy with me. Anyone out there with a Compendium and some free time?

Edit: Oddly enough, the Spiked Gauntlet isn't in Scryer...

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Nope you're right twilsemail. Probably just an issue with the way the CB works rather than anything else. I'm guessing they don't have a way for the software to calculate properly if you don't have a weapon in or something like that.

[sblock=DDI]
Spiked gauntlet

Simple one-handedmelee weapon
Cost: 5 gp
Damage: 1d6
Proficient: +2
Range: -
Weight: 1 lb.

These gauntlets are specially fitted with metal spikes. Unlike other weapons, the spiked gauntlet occupies your magic item hands slot while enchanted. [/sblock]

twilsemail

First Post
Well, there you have it Cleverusername. I remember, now, having issues with the CB when making my TT Brawler on the thing. Oddly enough it didn't have issues with the weapon from the Boar Tusk Helm(D378).

horvagab

First Post
I'm fairly new here, and characterless, for now. I've been popping up some ideas for others, since I'm new to DnD, but the awesomeness of Eberron lured me here :p. Since I couldn't really decide what kind of character to do (and the math is scary for an American Studies major), I'd like to ask two questions:
1. What is the most noob-friendly class?
and
2. What role is lacking currently? I like to adjust to the needs,since I am usually the new one, so I have no preferences really.

twilsemail

First Post
I'm fairly new here, and characterless, for now. I've been popping up some ideas for others, since I'm new to DnD, but the awesomeness of Eberron lured me here :p. Since I couldn't really decide what kind of character to do (and the math is scary for an American Studies major)

The Math really isn't that bad. If you're very worried about it, check out the trial version of the WotC CharGen program. It's a very helpful tool when it comes to creating a character. You can get the whole thing for about $10 and with it you get access to Dragon & Dungeon Magazines and also the Compendium. In the end I think it's money well spent.

1. What is the most noob-friendly class?

The best advice I can think of is "Avoid Psionics." PPS have confused the hell out of my players at Encounters.

The classes out of the first PHB are probably the easiest to play IMHO. As we're a bit shy on defenders in the Tavern (as far as I can tell) you may want to roll up a Fighter.

2. What role is lacking currently? I like to adjust to the needs,since I am usually the new one, so I have no preferences really.

I guess I answered that one above. Though really, play what you think you'll enjoy, a party will form around you. More often than not at least. We're about to have a pretty big purging of the Tavern with two adventures kicking off in short order (3 counting the one that just left) so making a character based on who's around might not be the best of plans.

If you can roll up an adventurer in the next day or two you might be able to get in on Antithetist's adventure, the party is forming now.

Velmont

First Post
I agree with twilsemail. Avoid Psionic, they are a bit more tricky to understand as they have special rules for them.

PHB role are more straight forward in there role while PHB2 class are more in gray areas.

Take a concept you want to play, and then see which class fit it better. You'll understand the technique fairly easily I think and having a character you like is teh most important you want. If you want suggestion, you can always post here.

horvagab

First Post
Hm, was thinking of a fighter earlier, a Warforged Brawler possibly named Jayne with a penchant for, wel..., brawling :D. He also has a brown cloak, and may be regarded in some parts of Eberron as a hero..... (just watched whole season of Firefly. You gotta love that show. And Adam Baldwin. Wit the guns. Lots of guns.)

evilbob

Explorer
"Simplicity of play" is a difficult thing to gauge, and depends on your own preferences, but personally I find the most "noob-friendly" classes to be strikers. For many striker classes, most rounds all you need to do is decide which attack power is most appropriate and which target to apply it to. I'm not trying to knock any class or style or anything, but that's my experience.

Controllers are probably the trickiest classes to play (in general), and defenders and leaders are both in the middle. Defenders have to keep track of lots of marks/status conditions and how to react to them, and leaders have to watch everyone's HP total. Again, these are all wide generalizations and do not apply to every single class (some strikers are more complex than certain leaders, for example). Also, these are my own opinions and I claim no superiority over anyone else's views. :)

I'd agree to ignore psionics, and that PHB1 materials are probably more straightforward than PHB2 or 3. (Then again, those classes have been out longer, so they have more options to choose from!)

As for roles that are lacking, in general this type of thing seems to balance out over time on its own so I'd suggest just go for something you prefer and not worry about filling out the community at large. Frankly, that advice goes for the class-choice as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases