LEB Discussion Thread '10

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilbob

Explorer
Got a rules question about the interaction between the item "hammer shield" and the feat "mark of warding."
Hammer shield said:
When you hit an enemy with an attack power using a hammer while wielding this shield, you gain a +1 bonus to all defenses until the start of your next turn.
Mark of warding said:
Whenever one of your powers grants a bonus to a defense, increase that bonus by 1.
"When you hit with an attack power," you gain the +1 bonus... and "whenever one of your powers grants a bonus," I should increase it by 1. Essentially, all my attack powers grant a bonus to defense now when they hit. I think the combo here is effective and it actually grants a +2 to all defenses.

Does this seem sound?

evilbob

Explorer
I just edited this onto my above post, but in case you missed it, I said all my attack powers now grant a bonus to defense (when they hit). Not sure if that makes a difference to you.

LadyLaw

First Post
I would actually say no, it doesn't combo because the power isn't what's increasing your defenses, the shield is. However, I'm far from being an authority on the subject.

Edit: and I see R1 beat me to it. :)

Velmont

First Post
I agree with R1. The item give you a bonus when a power hit, but the bonus come from the item.

The mark is clear, it bolster you powers effect, not your items propriety. They shouldn't stack.

evilbob

Explorer
I guess my line of reasoning is that because of the item, all powers grant a bonus. Therefore, because the bonus comes from when you use a power, it would count.

Antithetist

First Post
I have a DMing question regarding treasure distribution that I could use some advice on.

It's possible, using the parcel system, to work yourself into a hole where for one particular given level there is only one parcel you can take, and no items of that level that are any use to you. Take, for instance, somebody who took an n+4 parcel at level 1 for a level 5 weapon, an n+3 parcel at level 2 for a level 5 suit of armour, and then gold at level 3. The only parcel he can take at level 4 is of course n+2, giving a level 6 item.

Now, say that this player conspicuously hasn't bought a neck slot item (yes, I have somebody in mind here :p). He also hasn't made a wishlist, so it's up to me to find something sensible to give him - obviously my first thought is a neck slot item, so I do a Compendium search for level 6 neck slot items and turn up... zero. Absolutely nothing. Okay, so I figure he can buy a basic neck slot item with his gold, and in the meantime I look for something else useful to give him.

A weapon or piece of armour would be highly questionable, since it'd only be a 1 item level upgrade from what he already has. There are possible options for hands/waist/feet slot items, but none of them look like items I would be happy to receive if I was playing this character.

So my question is: is it viable in this situation to award a level 5 item instead? It's 1 level below what was expected, but it's going to be a whole lot more useful. If so, do I make up the difference in item budget by giving him some gold as well? (The difference between a level 5 and level 6 item is 800gp). Or am I honour bound to give him a level 6 item even if it's crappy?

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I would ask the player to choose. Or make suggestion(s) of sixth level item he would like to receive.

You don't know, he may prefer armor/weapon upgrade to crappy 'other slot' item. Or will take basic +2 neck and buy something himself.

evilbob

Explorer
I was about to say the same thing: a +2 plain-ol' anything is a level 6 item. Most of the time, especially at lower levels, a straight +2 is better economically with this system anyway.

My other suggestion would be to just give gold equal to a level 6 item. I hope that's ok; sometimes an item just doesn't work and gold is much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases