LEB Discussion Thread '10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antithetist

First Post
Oh hey, you're right, Amulet of Protection +2 is level 6. Huh. A Compendium search for level 6 neck slot items totally fails to turn it up, how thoroughly unhelpful. Problem solved I guess. ;) Thanks.

twilsemail

First Post
Oh hey, you're right, Amulet of Protection +2 is level 6. Huh. A Compendium search for level 6 neck slot items totally fails to turn it up, how thoroughly unhelpful. Problem solved I guess. ;) Thanks.

I have to wonder how you phrased the search. I got it just fine through Scryer.

renau1g

First Post
One item that everyone except implement-only users would likely want at level 6 is either Iron Armbands of Power or Bracers of Archery. +2 to damage for all melee or ranged attacks is pretty good.

Velmont

First Post
I always felt these items are broken, because everyone end their dogs want it (and sometimes me too). I think they should have halved the bonus, and people would still be considering those items but might also want to use something else.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
That's weird.

If you explicitly state "Amulet of Protection", you get it from the Compendium.

If you try a lot of other searches based on level or the keyword amulet or protection or many other things, you don't get it.

Antithetist

First Post
That's weird.

If you explicitly state "Amulet of Protection", you get it from the Compendium.

If you try a lot of other searches based on level or the keyword amulet or protection or many other things, you don't get it.

Exactly. :/

re: Armbands of Power/Bracers of Archery - it's a wizard. :p

evilbob

Explorer
Also, as an aside, the parcel system helps highlight a semi-frustrating issue with items in general in 4.0. Specifically, you are supposed to get an item about every 4 out of 5 levels... but if you want to continue to keep up with your upgrades, at least 3 of the 4 items are spoken for: weapon, armor, neck. That leaves precious little time to accumulate interesting or fun items - especially with stuff like the iron armbands, which are practically required and ALSO need to be upgraded every 10 levels.

I find you're much better off doing everything you can to skip an upgrade toward the beginning - like skipping your +1 armor or neck item - in an effort to save your precious "buys" for those non-big-3 items, especially since levels 6-9 have a lot of great stuff to choose from for your other slots. Another tactic is to just purchase plain magic equipment until you get much higher in levels; you save a ton on your "buys", and a lot of the good properties and powers aren't available until the mid-levels anyway. In other words: you don't gain much by getting that level 4 sword instead of just a level 1 sword most of the time, so save that higher level item buy for something better. Then, get a level 14 sword with a better property when the time comes.

Again, this is not a reflection on the parcel system, just on how 4.0 works. In fact, I think the parcel system is more than fair when it comes to items: the only downside is that it favors people who enjoy planning out what you get for the next several levels.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Actually, in my experience, things seem to "open up" a bit more at higher levels. My lower level (< 6) PCs focus on the big three, but afterwards, there starts to be a more interesting mix. The big three are still important, but other items start holding their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases