LEB Discussion Thread '10

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyLaw

First Post
Although it seems overpowered, if it were my game I'd rule that each die could turn out no less than 3 (so 6 total) because it actually says a result of 3 on the "die," which refers to only 1 object. As each die in a 2d4 is a separate object, I would treat them separately. However, that may not be the actual intention of the feat.

Taken from another perspective, if you crit, would you count a 1 or 2 on your crit die as a 3? What about if it wasn't a falchion but a greatsword, and you used an attack that allowed for 2[W] damage? Would each of those dice be taken separately? (I would say so.) If the answer is yes, then I think the same should apply to each of the 2d4 for a falchion. However, I do think that's a bit powerful, so I can see how it might get ruled differently.

renau1g

First Post
I believe that it should be 3 on each die, therefore 6 is the min damage. It's not OP'd, especially compared to the Fullblade.

[sblock=Math stuff]
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25040989/Falchion_suck&post_num=28#452085997

Falchion:
Of the 16 possible outcomes with 2d4, 9 of them result in 6 damage (the ones where each die is either a 1, 2, or 3), 6 of them result in 7 damage (one die is a 1, 2, or 3, and the other is a 4), and one of them results in 8 damage.
6*9/16 + 7*6/16 + 8*1/16 = 6.5

Fullblade:
The normal average damage is 6.5; Avenging Resovle adds 2 damage 1/12th of the time and 1 damage another 1/12 of the time, for a total of 3/12 = .25 extra average damage. 6.5 + .25 = 6.75.

In heroic, a 1[W] crit would deal an average of 14.5 for the Flachion and 18.75 for the Fullblade. That's a more noticeable difference. Crits on attacks with multiple [W] damage would excerbate this difference.

Let's see the overall difference, though. An Avenger attacking his Oath target has a crit rate in heroic tier of 9.75%, so his total average damage, with Avenging Resolve and crits taken into account would be the static modifiers (assumed same in both cases) plus 9.75% of the average extra crit damage from the enchantments (assumed same in both cases) plus the following:

1[W]
Falchion: 7.28
Fullblade: 7.92
difference: 0.64

2[W]
Falchion: 13.92625
Fullblade: 15.181875
difference: 1.255625

3[W]
Falchion: 20.5725
Fullblade: 22.44375
difference: 1.87125

Let's consider Jagged (crit chance now 19%) in Paragon (high crit now giving an extra 2[W]):

1[W]
Falchion: 9.255
Fullblade: 10.3125
difference: 1.0575

2[W]
Falchion: 16.04
Fullblade: 18.06
difference: 2.02

3[W]
Falchion: 22.92
Fullblade: 25.8075
difference: 2.8875

So, when it comes to an Avenging Resolution Avenger using a Falchion, the feat Weapon Focus: Heavy Blade should be taken before Weapon Proficiency: Fullblade, because on most of his bread-and-butter attacks the +1 per tier from Focus will outdo the damage boost from upgrading to a Fullblade.

Of course, the Avenger is a striker, and the Fullblade does do more damage in all cases, so he should take both the Focus and Proficiency feats. In fact, Falchion + Valenar Weapon Training loses to Fullblade + Weapon Focus except for 1[W] attacks in heroic tier.
[/sblock]

Velmont

First Post
Thanks,

That's how I thought it would work. And after some math, I found out that my Valenar Avenger would be slightly better against his Oath of enmity with the Valenar Weapon Training and Avenging Resolution than with the Fullblade and Weapon Focus, but the drawback would be he would be slightly weaker against enemies which are not his oath of enmity.

The thing I like most was the constant damage, as the damage of the Falchion would stay between 6 and 8 instead of 1 and 12.

dimsdale

First Post
Playing a pacifist healer doesn't help the output here...

Okay...you're right...Knoepf doesn't count then. I still have three others: Kruk, Grakk and Max.

Hmmm...I wonder if Knoepf has healed more hp in an adventure than Kane has dished out in damage ;)

Speaking of pacifist healer, do enjoy playing River as much as I do Knoepf? It's definitely a change of pace from what I'm used to.

Velmont

First Post
Yes, I like to play River. It is a different way to play, and it is hard to explain what a Pacifist is doing fighting merciless cultist with a bunch of bloody adventurer. Quite a nice thing to play.

renau1g

First Post
I see him as the moral compass for the group, keeping the heroes from becoming like their enemies and falling into their dark ways. BTW I love the group FWIW.

Luinnar

First Post
Am I eligible for a second character? I believe it was two months before the 1st adventure's thread was closed, and it has been two months since the Paper Chase started.

LEB passed the 4th months for 2nd character right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads