LEB Discussion Thread '10

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I have a question: I noticed that Cairn got only Common as language and PHB states that every character starts with two or three languages (usualy it's common plus racial). Is this bug in Character Builder or 'feature' of warforged?
It is a feature of warforged (they were created only needed to know one language.
Is there a way to learn new language (without linguist feat which gives three)?
A few background traits give them, I believe, but none give Primordial (there is no "Primal"). Of course, I'm not sure the spirits of Eberron has a united language or just speak directly to the user (via telepathy or such).

renau1g

First Post
A Gem of Colloquy from AV is a lvl 2 item that gives +1 to Bluff/Diplomacy and grants the ability to speak/understand 1 additional language

elecgraystone

First Post
I'm asking because I'd like Cairn to know <Primordial> as it fits the story. But I didn't get the option in Character Builder so I left it as is, but it grates on me.
This sounds like background to me. If none of the published backgrounds offer the language, I'd suggest you make a proposal to allow you to take the language as your background benefit.

Actually I'm not sure why we need to list a published background as long as the benefit listed for it falls under the norm (1 skill added to list, +2 to skill or language added). If the benefit makes sense, why dig though the backgrounds to find the benefit you want and have to try and figure out how to make that background fit with yours?

renau1g

First Post
Ideally you should be selecting a background to fit your PC's background you have in mind rather than for the mechanical benefit it provides. I actually greatly dislike the background mechanics, but that's me.

elecgraystone

First Post
Ideally you should be selecting a background to fit your PC's background you have in mind rather than for the mechanical benefit it provides. I actually greatly dislike the background mechanics, but that's me.
I dislike how it's currently done too. Me, here's how I see it. Lets say my character's background has him in a street gang before becoming an adventurer. Here are some skills/language examples that could easily fit but not with the current backgrounds.

Perception: gang lookout, your job was to case the places and watch for guards.
Acrobatics: Roof Runners, your gang made it's way around town by the roofs, bypassing the narrow streets and alleys.
Supernal: The leader used to be a wizards apprentice and he picked it up before he fled. Now he teaches it to the gang as their own secret language.

To me a quick sentence or two like this is a LOT better that listing a background and benefit.

See for me you should ideally pick a mechanical benefit that fits your backstory and not have to worry what published background just happens to have that mechanical benefit or worse pick a publish background close to your backstory and have to take the extremely limited options that gives you.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Yes, well, I took the background that fits the background story, but yes, if you look for certain benefit you need to look for suitable one and fit the story which is little bit backwards.

I don't mind Cairn not knowing primordial it just strikes me as odd him being an elemental and not knowing the language. I'll just write it off as shock of separation from Eberron's body and invasion of souls of mortals.

That said, how about another proposal:

All community supporters get special right for third character on living worlds with limitation that both characters before it have to level at least once and that new one is at least one level lower then others...

and pity to judges if this passes there will be a slew of new characters to review :)

Kalidrev

First Post
Neurotic,

That proposal has been shot down before, though it has been more than a month, so I believe it's available as a proposal. That being said, if you actually are submitting it as a proposal, I would have to say NO, as there are currently not enough active GMs to fill the quota of PCs. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a 3rd PC in the near future, but it's just too much to expect DMs to run more than 1 game at a time (though some of us do so... *looks at renau1g*).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads