Centaur feats

silvertable81

First Post
Would a Centaur need spring attack, or ride by attack? Would he gain any use from the various mounted feats? Would he have to take ranks in ride to qualify for these feats?

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Also, I'm assuming that lances do not do double damage when used by a charging centaur, considering the centaur is not charging on the back of a charging mount.

(IMC, I house-ruled that lances do double damage, and we made a centaur version of Spirited Charge. But then again, IMC, rhino hide works while charging, regardless of whether you or the horse is charging.)

Ranger REG

Explorer
ConcreteBuddha said:

Also, I'm assuming that lances do not do double damage when used by a charging centaur, considering the centaur is not charging on the back of a charging mount.

(IMC, I house-ruled that lances do double damage, and we made a centaur version of Spirited Charge. But then again, IMC, rhino hide works while charging, regardless of whether you or the horse is charging.)
Actually, I concur with your house rule. The centaur is quadraped, like a normal mount (having four feet help stabilize your lance before impact than a biped) and has a base speed equal to that of a mount.

The same goes for Spirited Charge (probably expand the Special entry to include centaurs).

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Ranger REG said:

Actually, I concur with your house rule. The centaur is quadraped, like a normal mount (having four feet help stabilize your lance before impact than a biped) and has a base speed equal to that of a mount.

The same goes for Spirited Charge (probably expand the Special entry to include centaurs).

I'd concur too, except for the fact that it seems a tad powerful. A Centaur (ECL +5) level 1 Fighter with +8 Str, Spirited Charge, Power Attack, Rhino Hide, a Large Heavy Lance (15ft. reach) and Power Lunge (SoF) deals an obscene amount of damage on a charge. At later levels, give him Horseshoes of Speed, a Belt of Giant Strength, Improved Critical, Power Critical, you name it...biggo damage.

Part of the reason why the lance and mounted combat in general are balanced is because of the need of a mount. Take away the mount, and the lance and all of those feats are next to useless.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Well, if I converted the centaur ECL to Level Adjustment rule (source: Forgotten Realms Campaign Sourcebook) it will be some time before the 1st-level centaur fighter, for example, can obtain all those feats you mentioned.

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Well, if I converted the centaur ECL to Level Adjustment rule (source: Forgotten Realms Campaign Sourcebook) it will be some time before the 1st-level centaur fighter, for example, can obtain all those feats you mentioned.

At ECL 6 (Level 1 Fighter, +5 Centaur), he would only need two feats: Power Attack and Power Lunge. The rest would come gradually with fighter levels.

silvertable81 said:
Also, Dragon Magazine's ECL article placed the Centaur at +7.

Sorry, but the Dragon magazine article means squat in my book. A hobgoblin is not ECL +1. No way is a lizardman +4.
Though even at +7, an ECL 8, L1 Centaur Fighter with Power Attack, Power Lunge and these items:

27,000 gp
5,660 Large Barding Rhino Hide
4,000 Belt of Str (+2)
8,000 Large Heavy Lance +2

Give him a Str of 29 (base 18, +8 centaur, +2 belt, +1 level)

He has a +4 BAB and a base 2d6 + 20 damage. Throw all his BAB into Power Attack for (2d6 + 24) x 3, average of 93, on a charge, with a +13 to hit, from 100 ft away and a 15 ft reach.

Mind you, that's at level 8 without Spirited Charge. That CR 8 Behir with an AC of 16 and 94 hps will have 1 hp left. ;)

It gets even worse if you give him a few more levels (and the fighter bonus feats and choice magic items.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases