Force Missiles vs Magic Missiles

Mark1733

Explorer
In your opinions, is the spell force missiles a suitable upgrade to magic missile? Although each missile strikes unerringly and has 2d12 damage, has anyone used it effectively to deliver half-damage to adjacent squares? Any particularly good strategies to consider? Is it worth having both, or is just one of them enough?

My character is a straight up sorcerer with no intentions of multiclassing.

Mark1733

Explorer
2d12 damage?

My Spell Compendium says it's 2d6 damage. And I dunno, it seems kinda weak to me for a 4th level spell.

You are correct...only 2d6. So, at eighth level I get 2 of those 2d6 missiles...for a possible maximum 24 points of dmg on the target. This is compared with a maximum of 5 magic missiles at 1d4+1 each (25 max). The additional perk to this spell is half of that 2d6 damage to all adjacent squares. What is the chance that there are some enemies in adjacent squares?--other than some darned insect swarms that our DM has been plaguing us with.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The odds vary dependent upon the creatures and tactics your foes (and allies) use.

BTW...what book or books are Force Missiles to be found in?

PythonPuncher

First Post
Well, at first I did feel like it was a little underpowered for 4th, as previously stated, but with the law of averages it will deal more damage than MM. Seems like it would be a good decision, especially with blast damage.

Vegepygmy

First Post
Well, at first I did feel like it was a little underpowered for 4th, as previously stated, but with the law of averages it will deal more damage than MM. Seems like it would be a good decision, especially with blast damage.
It will deal more damage than a 1st-level spell? I should friggin' hope so!

The blast damage is highly situational; there's no guarantee you'll get it at all, and most of the time if you need some blast damage, a fireball will serve you better anyway. In a few very specific situations (like when you happen to be fighting a bunch of incorporeal mooks), it's probably the shiznit, but on the whole, it just seems...underpowered.

Will

First Post
Depends on how often you are in small spaces with lots of enemies. I'd say in our campaigns, rooms have frequently been too small for enemies to really spread out easily.

Also, keep in mind the area blast damage HAS NO SAVE. Those rogues can suck it.

So, situations:
One or more incorporeal folks (ideally more, mind you)
One or more high evasion/high dex types (sometimes that touch AC is a lot higher than wizards can deal with)
Swarms

Yes, there are spells that are better at each of these things, but there is a fair amount of utility in having one spell that can work pretty well in many situations rather than one spell that is perfect for a few situations.

IMO... reasonably good spell.

Remove ads