2009 State of EN World Address

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's the end of another year, and the end of a decade. So, on the last day of the decade, it's a great time for a State of EN World address!

2009 has been a really good year for EN Word. The middle of the decade was a real financial struggle, but I am delighted to report that, despite global recession, we've ended on the highest point ever.

The new subscription model has proved an unqualified success, creating a solid - and sizeable - monthly revenue for EN World which is easily measurable and predictable. I have high hopes that this increase will continue at the same rate throughout 2010, lending the site the ability to do a lot more than it previously has. Already, we have recruited a group of regular columnists (including Erik Mona and Ari Marmell) and I'm talking to other potential columnists. We have plans for a professional monthly podcast - an irreverant, hopefully funny look at the industry, news, and so on - and for some real technological upgrades and improvements behind the scenes. Look out for a brand new look to EN World in 2010, with a heavy emphasis not just on news and forums, but on social elements and more.

In 2009, EN World also launched its weekly newsletter. Reaching over 80,000 people, it has proved to be a fantastic tool both for site members and for the site itself.

EN Publishing's PDF sales direction has changed drastically over 2009, and will continue to change throughout 2010. Folding the PDF production into the subscription model was a remarkably successful move - War of the Burning Sky 4E has been more successful than the 3.5 version with the majority of people accessing it via an EN World subscription in much the same way that people access Scales of War via WotC's DDI. I expect the direct PDF sales to tail off further in 2010 as the subscription service builds up further. We've also produced a wonderful trailer for WotBS, and we're working on more such goodies. The success of WotBS has allowed me to spend time on my personal project, SPACE FIGHT!, which is coming along beautifully.

Advertising revenue is solid. After a mid-late decade low, 2009 has seen a return to solid ad revenues, which cement the successful subscriptions and put the site in a secure and profitable financial state.

[imager]http://www.ennie-awards.com/images/ENnies%20color%20logo%20transparent.png[/imager]Over the decade, the ENnies have grown and grown. Ten years ago, we began in an internet chat room and focussed only on d20 games. Now we're the premier RPG awards program in the world, steered ably by the steady hand of Denise "Dextra" Robinson. 2010 will see Denise step down as business manager after a wonderful decade, and see Gertie "Xath" Barden take the reins.

The community has continued to grow. Now at over 85,000 members (I remember when I thought 4,000 was a lot!), more than 250 regular blogs, and a new Pathfinder forum, the site is as busy as ever. Some new initiatives didn't work out so well - the Wiki and the Marketplace will probably go the way of the dodo in 2010, while the Groups and Gamers Seeking Gamers functionality will receive a solid revamp and be brought more front-and-centre, and an increased emphasis on Reviews will be brought in. New software in 2010 will help these plans.

So, to 2010! Expect a new site - cleaner, improved functionality, more tightly integrated; and new stuff - more columns, a podcast, and more. As the web itself changes, and as traffic continues to grow, the role of the internet in gaming becomes more and more important, and the next decade will really be the decade of the internet!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIUkhOKJCfM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIUkhOKJCfM[/ame]​

And that's me signing off for 2009. I'll see you next decade! Have a great New Year, and if you're engaging in New Year's Eve celebrations, be safe and enjoy yourselves! My personal plans for 2010 include my wedding in August - and with luck I'll be in Indy for the 2010 ENnies!

lud

Explorer
New adventure Path?

Thanks a lot for providing us with EnWorld!

Can we hope for a new adventure path in 2010? Maybe in both 4E and pathfinder flavors?

The original WotBS (3rd ed) was a huge succes in my group!

Happy new year to all!

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Thre has actually been a lot of good news in the RPG business this year and it's good to see that ENWorld is also doing well. Cheers and I hope 2010 is a successful one for the site.

Treebore

First Post
Who does the voiceover on the WotBS trailer?

I think I saw a name in the credits at the end.

Good to hear things look so good!

Do you still have any WotBS 3.5's print versions available? That trailer has intrigued me more than anything else before it.

Remove ads