Paranormal Protection Agency - Night Shift

Shayuri

First Post
Shard glowered at Posh as he came in, then followed him to his chair and loomed over him...possibly because he was the only person present it would be physically possible for her to do that to.

"No time for chitchat, we have a lot of work to do! Posh, you can be in charge of supplies. We'll need parchment and quills and ink...try to get different colors of ink too. Red is very eye-catching."

Only then did she notice the steaming kettle, and the scowl left her face.

"Oh...tea!"

Dragonwriter

First Post
Velastri's eyes look up from the paper as Shard practically stormed into the room. She had a tendency to draw eyes anywhere she went, but it was her manner tonight that pulled his attention away from the slip of paper.

He speaks quietly and with a sigh, saying, "Shard, do calm down. The people will call when they need us. I've been on jobs and hunts like this before, and I can easily tell you that a large portion of such pursuits is waiting. Mind you, it doesn't mean I like waiting, just that it happens to be the most common thing. Still, if you want to make posters, I suppose I can lend my hand to the writing... And no, Posh, you didn't miss anything, other than Shard's little announcement."

The half-elf man turns his attention back to Helena and her paper. "I can plainly say that you should be glad you haven't had to deal with such undead. I've been hunting such things for over half my life. This text is fairly plain, mainly speaking on how such things as spectres and ghosts are created. Both of them follow a similar pattern, spectres die unexpected and violent deaths, usually ones they believe to be unjust, while ghosts often have something left to do, something important enough to make them hold onto this world, rather than becoming one with the Ethereal. They're both rather hard to predict or locate, though they're each customarily stuck somewhere around the place of their death. Oftentimes, the only way to, as you put it, alleviate the pain of these things is to destroy it, in the case of the spectre, or complete whatever was needed, in the case of the ghost.

Other than their origins, this passage also mentions some of their abilities, which are somewhat common among undead. They can cause fear, drain your strength and such things. Also, they can possess a living person, though that is only possible on the weak-willed. I hope this was helpful, and feel free to ask me to translate anything you come across. I'm fluent with Elven and Draconic, which are most often what the old texts are written in, but I also know Infernal and Celestial. If you do happen to find a text in Infernal, which looks like harsh, jagged script that fills you with fear even if you don't understand it, that you believe to have something to do with the undead, I urge you to not read it yourself. Such things can be very dangerous, and the devils have been known to use them to cause more troubles beyond spreading knowledge."

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Airard's ears perk up as Velastri continues his discourse, and especially at the mention of the languages the hunter speaks. However, he keeps his thoughts to himself; his mood tonight is pensive.

An intrusive restlessness spikes into his mind, setting his teeth on edge, and he begins subtly looking around for the source of Achrann's unrest. In the course of his 'investigation' he notices Korva's glances and gives her a casual wink - not flirty at all, just friendly.

He sees the flickering shadow under her table, but just as he begins to look more closely it disappears . . . and after a moment Achrann calms as well.

Shayuri

First Post
As the first person to actually speak TO her, rather than around her, Velastri earned the full force of Shard's attention. She whirled 'round and pointed at him, singling him out from the crowd.

"Don't be lazy! We shouldn't be content to let the world pass us by! Our mission is too important, so lets get the word out!"

At his acquiesence she beamed a radiant smile at him and clapped his back.

"That's the spirit! You should all be more like him. Only...maybe not quite so wordy."

She whirled again, sending little white ribbons of fabric swaying dizzily around her like ocean waves in a storm. "Posh! Be sure to give Velastri extra parchment and quills."

Finally, satisfied that she'd solved all the problems facing her, Shard went to the teapot and poured herself a cup.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Korva

Korva listens intently to Velastri's description of spectres and ghosts and wonders which Pyoter is: his death was certainly unexpected but not so much violent as unfortunate. Maybe he had unfinished business with the living. While wondering about Pyoter she glances over at Airard again but blushes, embarrassed at being caught staring, when Airard winks at her. She quickly turns away and focuses on the spectacle of Shard.

"Except, there are already posters out there. It's how I found this place," says Korva. "Not that we couldn't use a few more, I'm sure," she adds when it looks like the stormcloud that is Shard might turn her way. "Maybe we could even hire a towncrier. Or save a few coin and you can do it, Shard. I'm sure you would have the rapt attention of every man on the street."

grufflehead

First Post
Helena listened intently as Velastri guided her through the passages on the few pages she had brought to the table. 'So that's why he is here' she thought, 'something drives him to *hunt* these beings'. The detail in the descriptions he gave of the creatures, must, she realised be borne of personal experience as well as a mere translation of the texts.

Seeing the fervour in his eyes as he continued, she was momentarily overtaken with the urge to hold him, to share the grief that hung heavily around him like a cloak, the sense of loss and rage almost tangible. Perhaps there was work for her here too...

Shaking free of her reverie she reminded herself that this young man wasn't one of the children she often watched as they slept, sometimes fitfully, in the orphanage dormitory. She shuddered at the horrors some of those innocent minds had already witnessed in their short lives and wondered how many of the other members of this group had sought this place out from a desire for revenge, power, or a reminder of their own fragile mortality.

Certainly none of them appeared to be 'weak-willed', the almost contemptuous dismissal the half-elf had made of any who had been unable to resist as spectral hands had reached into their souls. She had been no stranger to fear herself once, but would she be strong enough now to help her companions if the time came? Her hand reflexively reached again to her throat, seeking the comfort of her amulet's touch, drawing strength as she asked the Martyr to watch over them all.

'Most enlightening', she said to Velastri with a nod, 'and certainly gives me food for thought. Thank you for your offer of further help; I believe there may be something in this that warrants further investigation'.

Turning to Shard, she smiled and said:

'Korva is right that there are bills posted around town already. But perhaps their presence alone isn't enough to draw enquiries to us. There are parts of town where, even during the hours of daylight, I can well imagine anyone who had been hired to post such messages might well have looked and thought better. The poor and disaffected are usually the first to lose their voice in the swirling chaos of the city; they may be speaking, but too softly for us to hear. If we go to them, perhaps we can ensure their pleas are not lost?'

Addresssing the assembly she continued:

'It seems like a fine clear night. I agree with Shard: let us be out and about, rather than sitting round waiting for the call to come. A couple can remain behind here in case, while the rest of us are abroad - we can mark our routes on this map here' she added, pointing to the plan of the great city which adorned one wall of the room, 'so if they have need to find us they can do so. If nothing else, those of you who are not locals may benefit from familiarising yourselves with the city streets, lest you need to travel quickly in future'.

'Pairing up will allow more ground to be covered, although I suggest we remain within one district lest assistance is required'.

'My dear lady'
, she said, rising and holding her hand out to Shard, 'would you do me the honour of taking the air with me?'

Dragonwriter

First Post
Velastri chuckles. "It's not a matter of laziness, milady. It is a matter of knowing what is and what is not. But if you insist, I won't stop you from spreading the word. In any case, I'll stay here. I'm not the most comfortable around large groups, which is surely what we'd be dealing with, were we to go into the streets. I'll stay here and will be able to alert you should the need arise. Just keep an eye on the sky above this building, for a quartet of four bright lights, larger than the stars we see and moving in a circular pattern. And Merrix will watch the gate to let me know when you're all here."

Velastri walks to the window and opens it up, making a sharp whistle. A squawk answers him, shortly followed by a harsh voice calling out, "Wakes me! CAAW! Comes I do!"
A swift flapping of wings is audible and a raven quickly arrives at the window, then steps onto Velastri's outstretched arm, walking up his arm to perch on his shoulder. The archer then returns to his seat, stroking his raven's feathers.

Mithral·Dragon

First Post
A sudden clamor beyond the door snatched whatever thoughts away from the current topics of discourse. Tea poured into and overflowed from one cup; words were held on baited breath. Muffled voices could be heard, whining turned to yelling. The owners, likely juvenile Touts, were just beyond the closed door to the headquarters of the Paranormal Protection Agency. One, if not both, had a message of some importance - yet neither ceased their rants to knock upon the door.

Indeed, once the door was open from those within, the two youths maintained their indignation. Each vehemently fought to control of the argument. One swung a creamy slip of vellum at the other as though it were a powerful weapon. "I got here first, Tyler!" The petulant whine from the tousled girl was answered in kind by the beefy boy opposite her. "No, Ally, you shoved me so I couldn't get to the door before you." He waved his own slip of parchment at his foe.

Unaware of the fact that they had become derelict of duty - having failed to Tout their message succinctly - the two continued to squabble as only children can. "Mine's more important than yours!" Ally shouted with an earnest pout for punctuation. "Why, just because it's artsy-fartsy paper?!? Why - if you weren't a girl I'd have socked you for shoving me." The intelligible words soon were lost as Ally pounced on Tyler. Girl or not, she was ensuring that her words were understood and that she was the more important of the two.

Unabated, the pummeling wouldn't likely lead to anything more injured and pride and a bruised ego. Their squabbles however, meant the missive wasn't being Touted. Whomever had requested aid of the Agency may be in dire need. These two also represented the first break in the monotony and boredom of this first work week! One could only be kept in anxious anticipation over what the Touts had to say for so long. . .

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Posh looks up from his "injured" arm long enough to stare at the young children. "Stupid gnome falling everywhere..." he seemed very very disinterested at the children, as if ignoring them would make them go away.

"I wonder if I can find a spell to stop me from falling forever... that would be a great spell indeed!"

grufflehead

First Post
Barely pausing to set her cup carefully on the table, Helena skirted Poshment's chair and with several quick strides was upon the squabbling messengers.

'STOP THAT, THIS INSTANT!' she commanded.

Grasping a collar firmly in each hand she dragged the rowdy touts apart and fixed them with a withering stare. Quickly inspecting them both for signs of injury, she turned to the boy and said sternly:

'Master Tyler. Where I come from it is considered the height of ill manners to threaten a lady with violence. If I catch you using that tone again in this house I'll have you over my knee, my lad!'

Spinning, she caught the brief smug smile breaking out on Ally's face at the dressing down her rival had received.

'And you, young lady, should long since have realised that a petulant disposition is the sign of a lack of proper deportment. I trust in future, you shall exercise a modicum of decorum before being dragged into such an unseemly melee?'

'Now, I believe you have messages to deliver?'

'You' she said to the boy and gesturing at the non-plussed gnome, 'hand that parchment to Master Poshment, and you' she continued to the girl, 'Mistress Shard awaits the contents of your hand'.

With a final glower at the pair, she stepped aside to allow them to hand over the documents.

As the others moved to readiness, she said 'I haven't seen Nirenz or Randall this evening; Korva, will you help me check their rooms? Vilastri, Airard, perhaps you would be so good as to suggest groupings to assess these messages ?'

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases