Party just doesn't work

BlubSeabass

First Post
Hey there. I'm DMing a group of 5 players for 1.5 year now. The party consists of 5 friends. There is a dwarf fighter, a human sorcerer, a human druid, a human rogue and an elf ranger, the part level being 7. They survive everything and all, have fun, but at the end of the session they always say things went a little...clanky.

The dwarf fighter is a whirlwind fighter, and the player is the type that is silent throughout the game and lives for the fights. The human sorcerer is a debuffer/necromancer, and the player is one of the 2 who take the most initiative. The human druid is the only girl from the party who made clear from the first moment that she wouldn't be their healer and enjoys casting damage/aoe spells. She is also an initative taker. The rogue is your typical two weapon backstabber, and enjoys talking, but doesn't take initiative. The ranger is an arcane archer, with limited spells and is with his nose in the books/rules most of the time, and doesnt take much initiative. Most are pretty stubborn.

The problem seems to be that inside and outside of battle, they aren't that effective. A good example was when they where infront of a thievesguild hideout, with one barbarian and two rogues at guard. They took hours to figure out what they would do, and even then they didn't take any advantages of their element of surpise or the circumstances. In battle, its much more like there is a fighter fighting over there, a ranger over there and a sorcerer at the other side of the room.

Is this sounding familiar? Anyway to get to smooth things down? Am I as DM asking to much of them? thanks!

Last edited:

paigeoliver

First Post
The party really needs to agree on, elect or declare a party leader who can make the big picture decisions after a little discussion with the others. This little step could go a long way towards fixing those issues.

smetzger

Explorer
I don't know if Leadership will solve the problem. Sounds more like a job for Improved Initiative. :)

Force situations on them, have people attack them instead of the bad guys waiting around.

ForceUser

Explorer
If they are having fun, you're doing it right.

If you as DM are frustrated with the pace of the game, you have the power to speed it up. Maybe those rogues notice the suspicious strangers hanging around outside their hideout and decide to get the drop on them instead of waiting to be attacked.

Blackbrrd

First Post
Why can't the druid-girl-initiative-taker get things moving? Are the others just refusing, or is she just talking instead of acting?

Are your players having fun, or do they get frustrated by the slow pace? My current 3.5 group has gotten to level 17 now, and really, we take a lot of time doing anything, but we have fun along the way. At least the ones that actually say or do something in-game.

Dasherion

First Post
Well, I'm the sorcerer in the game and I and the druid are really the ones that are exploring and thinking about solving problems. But I'm often not sure about the right way to do things and then sometimes we argue forever about the cource of action.
I'm also not feeling much synergy with the rest of the group, we've got no battle plan, it's always just, yeah, what in the hell are we gonna do now/how in the hell are we gonna do this. You know, lets just stab it.

JoeGKushner

First Post
The benefit of a game like D&D is before combat starts, before the game is even played, you can talk about various combat methodologies and tricks and then try them out in the game. If it looks bad on paper or doesn't look like anything at all on paper... well, the old saying is still true, people don't plan to fail, they fail to plan.

Hirelings are one way to buff up the party. Speaking with NPC's about spell selection, weapon selection, attack combinatiosn, etc... is another for the GM to provide fairly 'omniscent' combat advice.

BlubSeabass

First Post
I think its the players are just refusing. The encounter at front of the thievesguild started with the druid and the fighter being tired of all and just attacking. And then some complain that they always get attacked and innitiate attack XD.

A conversation outside of batle is likely to go something like this:
Druid: I think we should do A.
Sorcerer: We could do B.
Fighter: *stacking miniatures on top of another*
Rogue: We should do something!
Druid: Yes we should...What do you think Ranger?
Ranger: *sticks his nose out of the book* eh? Don't care.
Druid: So A?
Ranger: sure.
Rogue: A sound good!
Sorcerer: But B is safer!
Rogue: B sound good!
start from top

The leader thing sound nice, but I have no idea who would have authority over another. In battle, most of the times everybody just goes hit something. Sometimes, in a moment of clarity, they work good together. But most of the times I'm more like:" Better not play the monsters to the fullest now..."

JoeGKushner

First Post
On the other hand, necessity is the mother of invention. If the monster's game kicks up through superior teamwork even, all the better.

Arguing for the sake of arguing in a non-competitive game... well, I don't think I'd be running that game long.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases