What have been the big innovations in RPGs?

pawsplay

Hero
Much of GURPS is non-linear, too, I think.

Bye
Thanee

Now. Originally, it had range increments, linear strength, and a very ugly situation where damage was linear but Telekinesis ST was one of the few exponential progressions. GURPS 2e or 3e (can't remember) introduced the Speed/Range table, 3e introduced several alternate Strength systems, and 4e gave us geometrically increasing Strength. GURPS was a Jonny-come-lately compared to DC Heroes, Torg, and Champions.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
"Technology" for rpgs is not like technology for say computers or vacum cleaners....

Here are some "innovations", going all the way back, roughly as they were introduced...

-"high-level" options like planar adventures or (semi) deification
-non fantasy options, either in a fantasy game (psionics, ray guns) or in other games
-prepackaged adventures and campaign settings
-non-level non-class based charecter building
-"realistic" sub systems for combat and just about everything else
-unconventional (non-tolkien, non-pulp fantasy/sci fi, non-star treck, non-commic book) player options
-dicepools
-no dice
-one (type of) die
-"story" based games were the GM really drives the narrative
-indi type games where player can control setting and other "gm power"

The above has certainly broadened the types of games out and the sorts of people playing them.

But of course there are plenty of tables, including those with newish rules, that use none or hardly any of the above!

I think "innovation" that has taken hold for people who, say, post on ENWorld has been more evolutionary then revolutionary (though it may have not seemed like it at the time) and can be summed up as:

-better presentation and usability.
-better balance of playability and player and GM options.

The first could include things like full color art and searchable pdfs and databases. The second universal resolution mechanics and workable skill systems.

But of course there are grognards that reject those as well!

DaveyJones

First Post
to me the biggest are:

• 1 character = 1 player
    and continued use of the character is possible
    no win although you do have sessions/events/goals

otherwise you were just playing a computer game, wargame or boardgame.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Although not technically an RPG innovation as such, the advent of internet messageboards has probably had a huge impact on RPG gaming - in terms of cross-fertilisation of ideas, encouragement, discussion and so forth.

I'd agree with others though that some of the big innovations in RPGs include the following (I don't necessarily think they are all 'good' innovations, but they are innovations).

a) classless, level-less systems (Runequest, Traveller)
b) implied campaign setting in the box (Runequest and Traveller were the first ones where I noticed this)
c) increased simulationism
d) focus on player empowerment (e.g. point buy vs rolling)
e) generic multi-genre systems
f) OGL and all it enabled

Cheers

amysrevenge

First Post
I reckon folks are tossing out the word "innovation" too lightly. Here are mine, right from the start, kind of in order (some of them had their beginnings at different points than at which I consider their eventual impact to have truly been felt - ie I know that some folks were playing proto-MUDs decades ago, but I don't think that CRPGs approached "innovation" until WoW). I just think fiddly-bits of game details don't really count as innovations - diced attributes vs. point-buy is not an innovation. Wargames vs. D&D is an innovation.

1) The evolution of RPGs out of wargames in the 70s.

2) The mass marketing of RPGs to the general public in the 80s (D&D in particular).

3) The development of an online community of RPG enthusiasts in the 90s.

4) The OGL/3PP experiment in the 00s.

5) MMO games like WoW in the 00s.

I reckon folks are tossing out the word "innovation" too lightly.
I reckon that the word "innovation" is simply not quite what the OP had in mind. The definition of innovate pretty much comes down to ANYTHING new or different. Pick something, pick ANYTHING, that wasn't in a previously published RPG. That is by definition an innovation. People aren't using the word too lightly - the word itself is too light for what I think the OP was searching for.

That aside, the problem for me is that few changes, if any, have been particularly revolutionary as opposed to merely evolutionary. Oh you can pick many RPG's that made big changes - but they were changes largely limited to THAT RPG and not so much broadly influential upon RPG's in general. A classless RPG may have been innovative but it wasn't particularly revolutionary - the bulk of RPG's didn't suddenly shift to a classless approach. It just became one more option among many for how to approach an RPG and hopefully it's recognized that while innovative it's just not an option that fits for ALL RPG's. The utilization of a more unified resolution mechanic is certainly innovative whether it be by a d20, percentiles, or fists full of d6's. But RPG's didn't then suddenly shift to overwhelming use of unified resolution mechanics when that appeared. Again I should hope that wise game designers understand that one mechanic doesn't always provide the resolution that fits all circumstances.

Now I haven't given this that much thought but at this point I can only point to two "innovations" that I think really substantially and broadly changed RPG's as opposed to simply adding one more to the myriad of existing options.

First, as has been mentioned already, is the advent of the internet. As noted it isn't an innovention directly connected to RPG rules but it should be credited as such because of it's effects. RPG's were an extremely insular activity (that is to say, much moreso than they still are today). Change spread by literal physical word of mouth as much as any other means until the internet began to provide a fast, even instant means of communicating ideas. Before then you MIGHT attend a convention or send letters to a magazine and read its articles, but that was about the limits of common communication among gamers in general. Innovations were predominantly found only within a few gaming groups. The number of people communicating regularly outside their own groups was an extremely low percentage of an already sparse community. When internet communication came along with dial-up BBS's, Usenet, and finally web-based message boards the PACE of innovation increased just as rapidly. There were a lot of innovative ideas out there - they just hadn't had opportunity to spread anywhere with any speed. It was the internet that revolutionized RPGs by simply allowing OTHER innovations to spread and take root. It further supports innovation today by providing the fastest, cheapest means of publication of new materials.

The second innovation is also something of a meta-innovation though it at least is directly tied to RPG rules. Of course it's the OGL. It's one thing for players to exchange ideas with each other but quite something else to promote the exchange of ideas between PUBLISHERS. It is apparant to me that while TSR was still in business they were unable to grasp the revolution that was the internet. While understandable, it was definitely misguided of them to actively quash not only innovation by other publishers for D&D but innovation by PLAYERS. They labored under what had become an OUTDATED philosophy.

Innovation and communication of ideas now had the perfect outlet and chafed while being contained or controlled by old methods. The OGL took the chains off and allowed the wider innovation to actually proceed that had been wanting desperately to take place for D&D itself. Of course that innovation didn't then limit itself to D&D but made possible innovations of altogether new RPG's that were based upon the successful D&D model.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
1. The actual invention of roleplaying games from wargames back in the day setting two sister hobbies on different courses.

2. The recognition of every mechanic from a character perspective is a skill and skill-based systems proliferating. (first big theory argument in the hobby with TFT/GURPS)

3. LARPing to dress up and act as characters everywhere, from parks, to rented halls, to on the street.

4. Revelation in the early to mid '80's that, if a game has no mechanics for an action, then the action doesn't matter. Mostly forgotten now, but this change lead to greater complexity in combat and other system design. It is also the likely cause of rules coming out from behind screens for all players to know.

5. The use of multi-genre and "universal" game system design to play all kinds of games. For example, Torg mashed worlds together, while GURPS and other games catered to all kinds of genres under one system.

6. Mechanical randomizing advancements of all sorts through the years, including: dice pools (WW) and cards (DL5ed).

7. Distance-spanning RPGs, starting with Play-By-Mail in the 80s and proliferating to email, messageboards, texting, tweeting, VOIP, videoconferencing, and more.

8. RPGs being confused with simulation games and put on computers. Easily the revolution in gaming with the most impact around the world.

9. Roleplaying redefined as EDIT: character portrayal and then storytelling (WoD). Hand in hand with this came the designing of character archetypes to match modern day cultural and countercultural communities/lifestyles. (perhaps the biggest theory argument in history, driving the hobby in two during the early to late '90s)

9. Rise of the Forge and "modern" roleplaying game design theory. (essentially one side of the huge '90's debate declaring victory and claiming the other side deluded with dysfunctional games and abashed designers) This change includes recognizing of games as fiction and all game playing as storytelling. It is also a denial of almost every pre-Forge RPG as qualifying as either roleplaying or games.

10. The advancement to the current climate in attitudes towards inclusiveness and "fun". Most theory is still close-minded, but all activities claiming to be roleplaying are now included, even computer simulation games titled RPGs.

There are plenty more I'm forgetting and probably do not even know about. But those are the big ones I recall.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases