PPA: The Case of the Eerie Aerie


What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Mithral∑Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    64
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ý Ignore Mithral∑Dragon
    My communities:

    PPA: The Case of the Eerie Aerie

    There has been a disturbance at the Aerie of the Griffons. The Watch has not been notified and the Guard have been alerted of your impending presence. Please return with this Tout to expedite assistance.

    ~ Senechal Laea'lianna



    The Paranormal Protection Agency was headquartered in the Castle Ward of Waterdeep primarily because of Lucious' prominent position as a Black Robed Magister. Retired though he is, Lucious received accolades and an appointment as Magistratus (Chief Magister). Aged substantially though not ailing, Lucious setup the Agency nearby his own manor for ease. That location served very well in many of the cases the Agency had investigated, including the latest: The Case of the Eerie Aerie.

    The Tout that had brought word from the elven Senechal guided the investigators back to the Griffon Aerie. The trek was particularly short if not for the many stairs required to reach the mountaintop Aerie. The Guardtower beside the Palace of Waterdeep was reach in mere minutes. A pair of Halbardiers apparently awaited the arrival of the Investigators, nodding in recognition to Ally. Up the winding steps of the tower to the wide span connecting the mountaintop and finally to the Aerie itself. The Halbardiers flanked their escort, ensuring that none terried anywhere long. Indeed, Ally the Tout seemed most eager to reach the destination, hurriedly truding up the many steps and crossing the wide span.

    The Aerie itself was a cavern at the base of the Peak Tower where the Griffon Riders made their humble abodes. The bridgelike span linking the two towers was both wide and long, the top of the Guard Tower meeting with the bottom of the Peak Tower. Awaiting the return of the Tout Was the Senechal herself. Arms folded in an impatient manner, the porcelain-skinned elf regarded the Tout with an appreciative smile. She bade the Halbardiers depart before turning to enter the Peak Tower.

    Therein, she descended a short flight of steps to a massive door leading outside the tower. "Follow and don't touch or dawdle," the Senechal stated in a no-nonsense tone far more common among humans or dwarves than the normally melodic elves. Laea'Lianna was her name, a very elven name at that, yet aside from that and her physical nature the woman seemed far removed from her people's demeanor.

    The door of the Peak Tower opened directly to the cavernlike aerie. Gates marked the various nesting grounds of each of the Griffons, and many held plaquards of titles for the winged-mounts beyond. Passing each and everyone of these, the Senechal stopped at a particularly dark and somewhat dank portion of the cavern. The gate barring the way was chained and locked shut, unlike any of the others which had only latches for security. Through the piercings of the gate could be seen a rather majestic griffon who was presently slumbering. Nestled beneath fur and feathers was a glint of bronze or ruddy-gold pointed out by the Senechal herself.

    The Senechal turned her attention from the griffon to the investigators. "At onset of feedtime, the caretakers noticed this one was tending to an egg." She motioned again, for impact. "This would be wonderful news, if not simply for an immaculate conception," She explained. "The reality is, we've no idea where the egg came from. It doesn't have the mottled and flecked markings of a griffon's egg, nor was she pregnant to our knowledge." The Senechal produced a key for the lock to facilitate any physical investigations necessary. "Be wary if you enter, for nursing griffons will view just about anything as a threat." She warned in earnest.
    MD|DM

    ENWorld.org games that I DM:

    Paranormal Protection Agency: OOC | HQ (IC)
    - Case of the Eerie Aerie (IC)
    - Case of the Stoned Dude (IC)


    Ravenloft: The Forgotten Terror
    - Recruitment

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

    My Home away from home: www.dndgamer.com (It's BACK!!!)

    I am available M-F via PM, Yahoo IM, or irc.otherworlders.org #ENWorld


 

  • #2
    Registered User
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    Dragonwriter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southern California, US
    Posts
    2,465
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ý Ignore Dragonwriter
    My communities:

    Velastri nods as the full-blooded elf woman speaks. He commits her words to memory as he peers through the small holes in the door, trying to get a better look at the egg. The half-elf archer plainly asks, "Has anyone else been in the room? And if we enter, would we be allowed to subdue the griffon, or would we have to avoid her strikes if she grows angry?"

    Roll

    Perception, trying to get a better look at the egg, see any other markings, etc.: 23.

  • #3
    Cowled Justice of LPF COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Guide (Lvl 11)

    GlassEye's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    6,757
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ý Ignore GlassEye
    My communities:

    Korva follows the Seneschal up into the Aerie listening and looking things over as she goes. When they arrive and the elf describes the problem Korva is somewhat skeptical. She examines the egg, the griffon, and the cage, from a distance, of course, but cannot refrain from speaking: "Chickens don't need the... ah... intervention of roosters in order to lay eggs. Are not griffons the same?"

    OOC
    Perception 1d20+15=28

  • #4
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Mithral∑Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    64
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ý Ignore Mithral∑Dragon
    My communities:

    "None have disturbed Thunderthrill since yesterday," the Senechal said with a nod towards the large creature beyond the gate. "Remember well her name and she'll be less inclined to.." She let the thought hang without the gruesome details. Instead, she retrieved a slender key to deal with the lock which latched the gate closed. "She has been sedated since the discovery of the egg and will remain such throughout the day, in a deep slumber. Separating her from that egg will likely awaken her however." She explained, then turned to Korva with the slightest hint of a smile at the remark.

    "Indeed, they are not unlike other fowl, nor unlike a geese laying a golden egg." The Senechal said with a bemused air about her words. She was obviously not overly concerned with her charge so much as the mysterious egg which was nestled in Thunderthrill's nest. Laea'lianna pulled the unbarred gate open, allowing the investigators a chance for a more hands'on approach.
    MD|DM

    ENWorld.org games that I DM:

    Paranormal Protection Agency: OOC | HQ (IC)
    - Case of the Eerie Aerie (IC)
    - Case of the Stoned Dude (IC)


    Ravenloft: The Forgotten Terror
    - Recruitment

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

    My Home away from home: www.dndgamer.com (It's BACK!!!)

    I am available M-F via PM, Yahoo IM, or irc.otherworlders.org #ENWorld


  • #5
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Shayuri's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minnapolis, MN
    Posts
    17,093
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ý Ignore Shayuri
    My communities:

    Shard peered over the pen's gate, stepping aside as the Senechal unlocked it, but showed no sign of going inside.

    "Who rides this griffon?" she asked after a second.

  • #6
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    BOB101's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Gillette Wy
    Posts
    30
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ý Ignore BOB101
    Korva, Think you have a chance of swapping that egg out for a dumby? Randell asks while assessing the beast.
    I can stand by on the other side of the cage. You attempt to sneak it out. if it awakes, I can destract it while you leave with the egg. How I get out is the question. We could really use posh's illusions for this mission.
    Pathfinder SRD
    dice roller
    Randell
    Randell
    Dwarf Fighter
    Lv: 8
    Alignment: NG
    Str:18
    Dex:14
    Con:20
    Int:14
    Wis:14
    Cha:10

    HP: 128
    AC: 32
    DR 3/- w/ light fort.
    Init: +1
    Speed: 20 feet
    BAB: +8/+3
    Mel: +13/+8
    Dam: 1D8 + 8
    CMB: + 12
    CMB Trip:+18
    CMD: + 24 + (+4 bull rush or trip)
    Rng: +9
    Fort: +13 + (+2 against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities)
    Refl: +6 + (+2 against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities)
    Will: +6 + (+2 against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities) (+2 vs. Fear)

    Darkvision: 60 feet,
    +4 dodge bonus vs. giant
    +2 racial bonus on Appraise skill checks
    +1 bonus on attack vs. orc and goblinoid
    +2 bonus on Perception to notice unusual stonework, whenever within 10 feet.

    Feats:
    Combat exp
    Improved Trip
    Grt Trip

    Lang.
    Com, dwarven, gnome, Orc

    App +6
    Climb +11
    Craft +9
    Disguise +0
    Handle Animal +6
    Heal +2
    Intim +5
    K Dungeoneering +11
    K Engineering +9
    Perception +5
    Survival +7

  • #7
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Mithral∑Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    64
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ý Ignore Mithral∑Dragon
    My communities:

    "Only the trainer, Master Gammael, has ridden her of late." She answered Shard kindly. "She has trained extensively with he and Lady Myn, who is her keeper." She went on, explaining lightly. "Lady Myn has vacationed for the past fortnight on Evermeet, too far a journey for her beloved Thunderthrill to have made without undo risk." She paused for a moment, obviously in thought. "I believe she is due to return in as many days. Though Master Gammael could be retrieved if necessary." She said in passing. Hearing of the plan, she sighs almost imperceptibly.
    MD|DM

    ENWorld.org games that I DM:

    Paranormal Protection Agency: OOC | HQ (IC)
    - Case of the Eerie Aerie (IC)
    - Case of the Stoned Dude (IC)


    Ravenloft: The Forgotten Terror
    - Recruitment

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

    My Home away from home: www.dndgamer.com (It's BACK!!!)

    I am available M-F via PM, Yahoo IM, or irc.otherworlders.org #ENWorld


  • #8
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Shayuri's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minnapolis, MN
    Posts
    17,093
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ý Ignore Shayuri
    My communities:

    Shard glanced at Randell and grinned evilly. "Sure, great plan, go ahead and...oh, I can't do it. It's a terrible idea, Randell, it'll get you mauled."

    She sighed. "So you just found the egg today...the timing's a bit strange then, isn't it"

    The sorceress scowled deeply, then snapped. "It could have been teleported, maybe. Buuuuut this an aerie after all..."

    She looked at the Senechal again. "Where do the griffons land as they come in?"

  • #9
    Cowled Justice of LPF COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Guide (Lvl 11)

    GlassEye's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    6,757
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ý Ignore GlassEye
    My communities:

    Korva looks into the cage and peers at the egg again. For a moment she isn't sure if the Seneschal is having a bit of fun or if the egg truly is golden. Then, when Randall outlines his 'plan' she is about to respond to the other dwarf when Shard does. With a snort, which is about as much humor as Korva seems capable of showing, she lets Shard's reply stand but she gently adds, "Thank you for your willingness to take on Thunderthrill, Randall, but I don't think it will be necessary. Velastri has a way with beasts, I hear, though he may be hard pressed to keep a griffon who thinks her egg is being stolen calm. That is even if the Seneschal even wishes the egg removed." Korva raises one brow in question but quiets down to hear the elf's response to Shard's questions.

  • #10
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Mithral∑Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    64
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ý Ignore Mithral∑Dragon
    My communities:

    "Aye; just found it during the evening feeding rotation. Sometime between today and yesterday's feeding the egg appeared." Senechal Laea'lianna said with a resolute nod. She then proceeded to shake her head and voiced a simple "No." at the thought of teleport. "There are wards throughout the grounds overseen by the Lords of Waterdeep; the Aerie included. Such spells would've failed miserably." She said, her head inclining as Korva looked more intently at the egg. "And yes, part and partial to why I opted for the work of Magistratus Lucious was because that oddity of an egg does need to be removed from these premises." She stated simply enough.

    As she looked from afar, the Senechal stepped away to show Shard the point of the egress the Griffons and riders used. It was akin to a sinkhole in the ceiling, with the grounds sloped to provide a perfect position for immediate flight. Wide enough for several to come and go without hindrance, the opening was within sight of most of the Griffon nests, including Thunderthrills. It was also overshadowed by the Peak Tower above.

    Meanwhile, Korva looked over the egg with deepening interest. Most of it was obscured by the feathers and fur of Thunderthrill. Enough was still visible to see that it did infact look metallic - golden even! The Senechal, though obviously amused by the tongue in cheek sentiment, had purposefully pointed out that detail. What little golden egg could be seen appeared embossed somehow, as though it were marked or marred with filigree.
    MD|DM

    ENWorld.org games that I DM:

    Paranormal Protection Agency: OOC | HQ (IC)
    - Case of the Eerie Aerie (IC)
    - Case of the Stoned Dude (IC)


    Ravenloft: The Forgotten Terror
    - Recruitment

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

    My Home away from home: www.dndgamer.com (It's BACK!!!)

    I am available M-F via PM, Yahoo IM, or irc.otherworlders.org #ENWorld


  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Removing Race Prerequisites, Case-by-case Basis
      By LightPhoenix in forum Older D&D Editions and OSR Gaming
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: Tuesday, 2nd June, 2009, 03:42 AM
    2. Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella?
      By Bob_Probst in forum General Discussion
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: Monday, 18th September, 2006, 05:22 PM
    3. Errata for DCC #5: Aerie of the Crow God
      By goodmangames in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: Friday, 2nd April, 2004, 09:36 PM
    4. Eerie but RPG inspiring Chernobyl pictorial site
      By The_lurkeR in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: Monday, 8th March, 2004, 01:57 AM
    5. (OT) Eerie, disturbing, very cool piece of media
      By Anabstercorian in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: Friday, 15th February, 2002, 04:10 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •