[Adventure] The Race of the Five Horns (DM: stonegod, Judge: THB)

On Puget Sound

First Post
Ryk comes down from the roof to confer with the party.

I might be able to come up with a diversion. Many humans mistake me for a human child, especially in dim light or at a distance. If a human child were being chased by an escaped dinosaur, I wonder how the guards would react? It depends on how sophisticated the false guards' magic is, i guess.

Perhaps we could lead them on a chase that would clear the square so the rest of you could cross. Then we can evade them and catch up separately.

Rikka and I can probably bypass them all together by sneaking.

The question we didn't pose are whether we all need to come to the flag or only one of us, but it's no use to cry over spilt wine now.

Your plan depends heavily on them not knowing who to expect. If they know us, which admitedly would be wrong, they can simply raise alarm. Also, I doubt you'll attract both groups, but that we can probably work around.

That said, I like your idea, but I'd prefer if your chase is covered by at least one of us to lend aid if needed. That means Rikka or me.

Alternative distractions: Rikka comes out as a cat or dog, chased by a dinosaur. Rikka goes out and barks gaining attention and raising enough noise we can pass. Two of us sneak inside and create a diversion from the inside. Once guards turn, our warriors rush in. The problem with last one is that the attention of guards will be upon the entrance.

Oh, and one flashy plan with great chance of failure, but almost guaranteed to get us inside"
- grins Bellegon -
"We can tie the rope on one of the lamp posts and then swing from the roof landing in front of the building."

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
[The square is about 200 feet (40 squares); there are stalls and other items about it for some cover, but its more open than the way along the roof. The patrols look to have four to five guards in a clutch.]

pathfinderq1

First Post
"It may be easier to move along the roofs from here- it looks like there is an unbroken path, and far fewer sentries. I would think we want to avoid any kind of diversion unless we have been seen and need to distract them. Any time they see us, even if it is a diversion, gives them the chance to cry an alarm." Rikka kept her voice quiet, and kept glancing out across the courtyard, trying to assess the setting.

OOC: (Scan the area carefully- passive Perception 30) Do the patrols have obvious ranged weapons, or just melee? And if we get across the courtyard, is there an obvious way into the garrison building? Rikka is not trained in Stealth (+5 untrained), and can only assume Medium sized forms (so no small cat or dog- but she could take the form of a Medium dino like Spring). One possibility, especially if the patrols are melee-centered, is to let them spot and chase (but as noted, I would prefer any actual diversions to be a last resort- they might call an alarm before investigating/chasing). I suppose we can have most of the group try to make their way across the roof with Rikka (and maybe Spring) on the ground to draw attention if the others need to engage roof-top sentries. 40 squares is quite a distance, but if we need it, Rikka can cover that with less than 2 rounds of action (a Minor action for boost, then 3 running moves). She also has a few blast/burst powers which could wreck a small patrol group, if we can lure one patrol out of the main courtyard...

On Puget Sound

First Post
I like the idea of all going by rooftop, taking advantage of the laundry lines, if we can. That leaves us just the one archer-construct to clear, and a simultaneous surprise strike should take it down. We can wait until the patrols' movements leave them farthest from the archer to reduce the chance they will hear it fall.

As I said, I'd prefer sneaking to all out attack, but we tried that and Vok and Crush cannot make it. Esp. with so much distance to cover.
Let's try this: we go over rooftops, with Ryk and Bellegon taking out the archer first (and maybe Rikka if she can join us or attack from distance). Then everyone gets up and we go one (fairly slow) step at a time to avoid moving when the guards are near.

stonegod: area is darkened as before? At what range could we be spotted (ie is there a cut off point at which we have total concealment?)
Also, is there a pattern to guard movement and is there any point they cannot see each other?

Everyone: I'm checking to see if there is a way to subdue one group and then pose as it to attack the other one. I don't think it very good plan as the idea is to avoid combat, but it's an option.

I don't think diversions would work once we're seen.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
[It is still dark. There is no cut off point due to ambient lighting, but guards do take extra penalties due to distance.

To wait long enough to see a pattern, I'll need a Stealth & Perception/Insight check from those watching. Those not watching (such as Vok in the back) don't have to make either.

To move along the roof tops, I'll need a party stealth check (a check from everyone), a party moving check (athletics/acrobatics), and at least one perception check to begin the navigation. You just need to pass a majority of the "party" checks to succeed. Feel free to suggest other skills or utility powers as appropriate.]

pacdidj

First Post
"Well, we'd best be off," Crush whispers, "Now is the time for tactics, not strategy. We can't afford to waste time dilly-dallying and observing the guards. The elf has the right of it, I believe. Though risky, the rooftops afford us the best chance of not being seen. If we get in a tight spot, we can always improvise a diversion."

OOC: Very well, I think Rikka should do perception, my roll here is aid another...granting -2 penalty instead of bonus with natural one :p

"Let's go. Rikka, would you try to find us safe way? I suggest over that rooftop first." - say Bellegon, indicating very same rooftop the archer sits and observes from.

[sblock=stonegod, utility powers]if there is a place where Ethereal step can be used to get over particularly tough spot, Bellegon does so (maybe to improve his poor athletics roll - same for places where stealth cannot help or to gain flank/reach the flag behind enemy lines.

If there is following situation, use racial darkness:
we see the flag, but there are enemies between us and it. Darken direct path toward it blinding middle people. Run through along Vok and Crush who I will instruct to simply plough ahead pushing whatever they encounter.

open area where we could be cleanly be spotted, but guards are way away and we just need temporary deeper shadows to cross over without being seen (eyes react better to movement then to small contrast dark on dark this would create)

[/sblock]
Acrobatics; Perception aid another; Stealth (1d20+5=11, 1d20+2=3, 1d20+9=27)

pathfinderq1

First Post
OOC: (IF we decide to move out along the rooftops- looks like we have 3 votes so far so I figured I would make my rolls now just in case)

Rikka began to scamper up onto the roof tops, but the first route she chose proved unsuitable- the pile of barrels shifted under her weight and dumped her back into the alleyway. Luckily it didn't make too much noise, but it looked terrible...

OOC: Perception 1d20+20= 33; Acrobatics 1d20+10= 11 (natural 1); Stealth 1d20+5= 14; rolls Roll Lookup

Too bad she can't use her Elven Accuracy for a skill check...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases