D&D 4th Edition [Adventure] The Race of the Five Horns (DM: stonegod, Judge: THB) - Page 23




+ Log in or register to post
Page 23 of 83 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 73 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 822
  1. #221
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    pacdidj's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    852

    Ignore pacdidj
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaVoid View Post
    Crush, I realize you cannot take off your plating so we'll think of something...have you ever needed to muffle sound your movement? Do you know how or if it can be done?"
    "Nothing about my construction prohibits me from moving silently. Though, I must say that on the field of battle I would prefer laying in ambush to gain the element of surprise over sneaking about. I'm simply not very practiced at being stealthy." Somehow through his body language, the warforged manages to look embarrassed as he says this.

    I can adjust the straps on my footpads to fit a larger person, and lend someone my mottled gray overcloak. They may help.
    "I could certainly benefit from the use of your footpads and camouflage master halfling, and I thank you for the offer. It may well prove an excellent tactical decision, for though I lack somewhat in stealth and finesse, you and your companion seem well versed at stalking game. I imagine you have no trouble cloaking your movements in silence and darkness."
    L4W: Auntie Mab and Fierro | LEB: Kalimashtri

 

  • #222
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)



    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Windsor, CT
    Posts
    3,078

    Ignore pathfinderq1
    "I would much prefer to scout the layout of this place we must enter, to see the ground, and the placement of the guards- but I doubt they will let us do that," Rikka grumbled. "So we must do what we can..." She crouched down, to allow the bodies of her compatriots to cloak her motions.

    "The judge said both stealth and guile would serve us, so perhaps we can use some trickery as well as quiet movement. Here is my thought... You who are one with darkness (pointing to Bellegon) can make the first approach- you are as stealthy as any hunter I have ever seen. If you can find out some of the terrain, or how the guards are placed without being seen, it would benefit us all. But you should approach first, if we can find a way that looks good- make you way in, and find a spot where you can cover one of the guards. Then you, plainsman (pointing to Ryk)- move in, and cover a guard on the opposing side." At this point, where she was crouched, she used the stick she was carrying to point to two different spots, around an imaginary circle. "Here and here, with a route between them. With those two guards occupied, we can move in through this gap, one at a time- if one of the guards seems to have spotted us, you can move on him before he can give the alarm. Depending on how they are placed, that might do it." She paused, then rose to her feet. "Or, if the placement of the guards is favorable, we could use your form to our advantage (this time she pointed to Crush). If they are using constructs as guards, perhaps we could very quietly 'remove' one, and borrow whatever uniform they are using, we might put you in his place..."

    OOC: Just brainstorming a bit- Well see more ideas, I'm sure, once we actually get the details of the challenge

  • #223
    Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    stonegod's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Starkville, MS
    Posts
    12,534
    Blog Entries
    10

    Ignore stonegod
    You are told that fighting does not necessarily end the challenge but success is measured by how quickly and how stealthily you reach the "garrison". The exact mechanics of how that is measure, however, is not specified.

    With no further questions, the group is lead to the curtain. On the other side... its dark. Through some sort of magic, hazy Sharn is made to look as if in the middle of the night, stars shining down from an unobstructed view. Someone when through a lot of expense to make this happen. While clearly and illusion (you can hear the bustle of watchers somewhere in the "darkness"), it is well done.

    You are at the end of a dark alley. In the distance, you can see the "garrison"a building flying the colors of Thrane. A warren of narrow roads and corridors lie between you and your goal.

    Capture the Flag

    This is a freeform Skill Challenge-like thing. Let me know your plans, and I'll update with a skill and your success/failure and updates in the challenge. Any order is fine, but you'll have to await my response so don't post tooo much. its an experiment, and if doesn't work, we'll do something else.
    stonegod -- LEB judge and spawn of Khyber since 2005 (Blog)

    My many characters | LEB Games | EtCR |Rise of a Demon Prince Story Hour

    "You be evil stonegod" -- Bront

  • #224
    Ryk removes his stealth gear and makes the necessary adjustments for Crush to wear his footpads and camouflage clothing (which removes his equipment-based stealth bonuses to hide and move silently, leaving him at +10, and increases Crush's by 1).

    He then looks for a climbable building from which to get a better view of the available routes, and scrambles up to scout. Athletics: 20 He and Spring easily make it to the roof and look for a rooftop route that might avoid ambushes or traps set in the alleys, for at least part of the distance. Perception: 18

  • #225
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)



    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Saint Martin
    Posts
    2,042

    Ignore MetaVoid
    Bellegon anticipatory grin only widens as he sees darkened interior. Quickly remembering his white teeth he presses the lips together. Seeing lithe halfling and, incredibly, his dino companion climb the building he whispers
    "I'll mark the path if possible, white chalk should be visible to Vok even here. Circle with an arrow to point the way. I'll clear off rubble as much as I can, but watch your step. Follow in a minute."

    Bellegon almost dissapears and then promptly snags his robes on broken jug protruding from the stones.
    Stealth (1d20+9=12)
    Stealth2 (1d20+9=20)
    OOC: Since Rikka is here and it's just beginning I'm hoping you'll allow retry, stonegod. If not use first roll *sigh*

    Mechanics and Details

    Bellegon wields dagger and bloodcurse rod. His robe is packed on his back. Ready to use ethereal stride to get on one of the building or other high ground in case he's noticed (idea being that somebody notices movement and checks and sees nothing, plus advantage of higher ground vs. melee enemies is not to be underestimated.

    He will stop every fifty feet or so and mark the way as clear. On the way he'll clear metallic parts or very loose rubble or mark the way around them (maybe aids Vok and Crush?)

  • #226
    Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    stonegod's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Starkville, MS
    Posts
    12,534
    Blog Entries
    10

    Ignore stonegod
    [Belegon is on the ground, yes?]

    Ryk and Spring deftly climb the cobblestone a the edge of the alleyway, the latter bounding from side to side to gain height while the former wiggles this way and that to do the same. From his perch, he sees what looks to be an archer on rooftop a alley's away but no patrols immediately present.
    stonegod -- LEB judge and spawn of Khyber since 2005 (Blog)

    My many characters | LEB Games | EtCR |Rise of a Demon Prince Story Hour

    "You be evil stonegod" -- Bront

  • #227
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)



    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Saint Martin
    Posts
    2,042

    Ignore MetaVoid
    Yes, Bellegon is on the ground, contingent on being attacked by melee attackers in which case he teleports to higher ground. Or by an archer that needs to be dealt with in close quarters.
    Passive Perception is only 12 so he's not most observant, but he's careful and on his guard right now so please roll active roll. I skipped it because of 1 roll for skill challenge rule...

  • #228
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)



    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Windsor, CT
    Posts
    3,078

    Ignore pathfinderq1
    As Ryk and Bellegon moved ahead to scout, Rikka paused to survey the terrain ahead- though only for a moment, since she did not want to linger too long in one place. Once she had a sense of thewarren ahead, she turned to Vok and Crush. "I'll take the lead, and try to spot any guards or shortcuts ahead. Stay behind me, close up against the walls of the alley so you're harder to see from above. I'll move to a corner and check- if it is clear, I'll signal and move to the next, then you move to where I was. Stay one intersection behind, in case we have to double back. How does that sound to you?" Once she spoke, as she waited for an answer, Rikka crouched down- an instant later her form blurred and flowed; in the space of a heartbeat, a dark-furred hunting cat stood where the elf had been.

    OOC: IF Ryk and Bellegon want to range farther ahead as forward scouts, Rikka can follow their signals and shepherd the heavier-armored pair forward, as described, moving corner to corner. That takes advantage of their higher stealth scores to scout, at least, and allows Rikka to put her Perception to good use, and it keeps Vok and Crush close enough to move up to support quickly if needed. How dark is it, mechanics-wise? Darkvision/light source level, or is low-light vision sufficient?

    OOC 2: Perception roll just to get an idea of the best path to start with, 1d20+20= 24 (awful!) ; roll Roll Lookup ; Wild shape to beast form (both for her comfort in stalking, and in case the 'simple constructs' are programmed to be looking for 'people'

  • #229
    Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    stonegod's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Starkville, MS
    Posts
    12,534
    Blog Entries
    10

    Ignore stonegod
    Bellegon moves ahead forward and to the side, trying to keep an eye on the route ahead. Unfortunately, he stumbles against something left in the street. A clatter breaks the silence.

    Ryk sees the archer up ahead turn in the direction of the sound and draw an arrow. The archer, however, does not yet move forward.

    Rikka cringes a bit at Bellegon's stumble, but follows the best she can. Her cat feet keep close to he wall. She listens carefully, but does not hear any other movement down the direction Bellegon is currently taking.

    [The darkness gives concealment unless you have low-light/darkvision]
    stonegod -- LEB judge and spawn of Khyber since 2005 (Blog)

    My many characters | LEB Games | EtCR |Rise of a Demon Prince Story Hour

    "You be evil stonegod" -- Bront

  • #230
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)



    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Saint Martin
    Posts
    2,042

    Ignore MetaVoid
    Bellegon freezes in place as he makes the blunder, then slowly crouches behind some cover and stills completely. He now misses his concealing robes. After watching for few seconds for a suitable target he dissolves into shadows and appears bit further along the route in a well hidden niche.

    OOC: Teleport in a suitable place, using Ethereal Stride and Shadow Walk concelment to get out of sight of potential watcher(s)

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 23 of 83 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 73 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 46
      Last Post: Tuesday, 5th February, 2013, 04:57 PM
    2. [Adventure] A Boy and His Dog (DM: stonegod; Judge: r1)
      By stonegod in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 475
      Last Post: Tuesday, 4th January, 2011, 11:39 PM
    3. [Adventure]: Stormcrow Tor (Judge: THB)
      By Velmont in forum Living Eberron
      Replies: 816
      Last Post: Tuesday, 13th July, 2010, 08:17 PM
    4. [Adventure] Dive into Darkness (Judge: stonegod)
      By ScorpiusRisk in forum Living Eberron
      Replies: 463
      Last Post: Friday, 21st May, 2010, 02:22 AM
    5. Balanced Race? Judge the 'Perfects'
      By Technik4 in forum D&D and Pathfinder
      Replies: 29
      Last Post: Tuesday, 3rd July, 2007, 11:03 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •