Message board displays the incorrect time...

Klintus Fang

First Post
I've set my time zone in the user cp options to U.S. Pacific Time, but the board displays all the times off by one hour. I'm in the U.S. Pacific Time Zone, the current time is 5:51pm and the board tells me that the current time is 6:51pm.

Is there some "account for daylight savings time" check box that I have missed? Does the machine serving the boards have the incorrect time? Or is the message board system just in capable of calculating the correct time?

It's not a big deal either way, it's just a minor annoyance.

Dragongirl

First Post
Brought this up before. It is my opinion the original Greenwich mean time is incorrectly set. I have tried to figure out the DLST crap, and I don't think that is what is messing it up. The way I figure it when DLST comes into effect in a couple weeks the times will be off 2 hours in the US.

Klintus Fang

First Post
I agree that the most likely problem is that the clock on the server is set wrong or that the code that manages the configuration settings for the users maps the user's timezone settings incorrectly when it asks the server what time it is.

I don't think there's an operating system in existence that isn't capable of accounting for daylight savings so that is likely not the problem.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It always shows the correct time for me, oddly enough.

It is my opinion the original Greenwich mean time is incorrectly set.

It's set correctly - I live in that time zone, so I'd notice!

I've tried to figure out this problem before, with no luck. The nly thing I can figure out is that when you tell it you're on U.S. Pacific, that's not entirely true: during the summer, you're on US PAcific + 1 (or -1.. I never can remember). I, for example, have told the boards that I'm on Greenwich Mean Time -1 (or +1), which is true until British Summer Time ends, at which point I'll be on Greenwich Mean Time again.

Klintus Fang

First Post
In other words, the board doesn't account for "daylight savings" time (which doesn't really save any daylight at all, btw. but that's a rant for another time...).

Klintus Fang

First Post
This is odd.

Pacific Time is GMT -8

At this moment, GMT is 6am, according to: http://greenwichmeantime.com/info/time.htm

In California, the current time is 11pm (current GMT -7). Which makes sense because we are in "daylight savings time", where we add an hour to the clock.

But the board tells me that the current time, after adjusting for time zone is: 12am (current GMT -6) ??

So I try another test. I just set my configuration options for the board to timezone: GMT. The board now reports that it is 8am. Which is most definitely two hours fast because it is not 8am GMT.

So the conclusion is that the board does not account for "daylight savings". I have to do that manually. Fair enough.

But it is nonetheless a certainty that the server's internal clock is set two hours fast.

[edit: moved the "." that the board put inside the url tags that it automatically created so the link above would work]

Last edited:

Klintus Fang

First Post
**bump**

I don't want to be a pain in any one's backside, but this servers clock is still set two hours into the future. It is now 10:18 GMT and the server thinks it is 12:18 GMT.

Remove ads