RECRUITING CLOSED! 4ed: The Wolfcrown

RECRUITMENT IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED.

You can view our campaign wiki here: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wolfcrown

[sblock=Intro] Hey folks, I'm looking to DM a 4th edition campaign that will begin at level 1. It'll be a solid mix of combat, character interaction, and exploration. I've already got a few interested players. This would be my first PbP campaign to DM, although I've been playing and DMing in person for 4 years.[/sblock]

[sblock=Leveling Up] This campaign started at level 1 and will go into at least paragon tier, with definite possibilities of going epic. We level up extremely quickly.[/sblock]

[sblock=Posting Schedule]I'll be expecting at least one post every 2 days. If you can't keep up with that consistently, please do not apply. Of course, real life takes priority. If you run into a RL problem, we'll figure out another schedule for you.[/sblock]

[sblock=Application Rules]If you're interested, please post a character sheet in reply. Any published WoTC material is okay, with material from Dragon Magazine allowed at DM discretion. If or when you apply, please post your character sheet (standard point-buy, check magic items at the bottom of the page), and then direct-message me your email address so that I can send you information on the campaign setting. It's a relatively short document that lists important details about the geography, religion, and political structures of the world. You'll be able to work out your character's specific background from that.[/sblock]

[sblock=Plot Synopsis]The king of Black Lake, Damarch Hood, was murdered by an assassin from the criminal organization The Cloak. Our brave heroes were arrested and tried for the crime, but before they could be sentenced, they were rescued by Captain Scultone, who believes them to be innocent.

Scultone, leader of a secret, anti-Cloak resistance movement, sends the heroes to thwart the assassination of Queen Vera Springseer. They manage to stop the killer, but find out that they may have been betrayed by one of their own.

The heroes manage to stop a full-on invasion of assassins and thugs, and have been called back to Black Lake to assist in the arraignment of the leader of The Cloak, Bright-Eyed Teach.[/sblock]

[sblock=Sample Post]The barrister paces the courtroom. The manacles around you hands chafe your skin. The links in the chains that bind you together murmur with every movement you make. The barrister clears his throat.

"You have been brought here to stand trial as suspects in the murder of our king: Lord Damarch Hood. Have you anything to say in your defense?"

The room is hushed, and each face in the crowd watches you suspiciously - anxiously - awaiting an answer.[/sblock]

[sblock=Our Brave Heroes]
shayuri: Thorn, Changeling Assassin (5)
industrygothica: Bearn, Dwarven Invoker (5)
phaezen: Squeal, Warfroged Barbarian (5)
rathan: Doren, Human Cleric (5)
holyman: Torath, Human Paladin (6)

Current average PC level: 5
[/sblock]

[sblock=Loot]Each PC owns two Lvl. 7 magic items of his choice, plus 3,000 gp.[/sblock]

[sblock=Hero Point Rules]Handed out for exceptional roleplaying or valorous combat, you can trade these in for action points and free level-ups, or save them up for special character-related opportunities or powerful magic items.

Spend 1 Hero Point: Receive an Action Point
Spend 3 Hero Points: Free Level-Up
Spend 5 Hero Points: Meet a God of your choice
Spend 10 Hero Points: Receive a special artifact[/sblock]

[sblock=Hero Point Totals]
Thorn: 4
Baern: 3
Squeal: 4
Doren: 4
Torath: 2[/sblock]

[sblock=Most Recent Edit]Torath earned a Hero Point for updating the wiki...again![/sblock]

Last edited:

Good idea, ren. This campaign will start at level 1 and will go into at least paragon tier, with definite possibilities of going epic. I'll be expecting at least one post every 2 days.

Rathan

First Post
To be honest I've never made it past level 5 here online with PbP as well as Tabletop with 4e. People seem to loose interest too quickly because it's sooooo cookie cutter with powers and the like. They seem to get sick of doing the same thing over and over again. I'd be a little more interested if it was a little higher level, not that I don't like 'earning my keep' level wise, but with play by post they tend to die too soon before you get to get anywhere really good with a character. If you ask me, raise the level ... do short little 'snippets' of adventures in an overall broad campaign. I think you'll find you might get more interest and maybe more fun out of the game.

Just my two cents though... :D

industrygothica

Adventurer
Here's my character submission, Baern Stoneheart, a dwarven invoker. I originally created him for another game that never got off the ground, so he's already got a shell of a background. I'll wait until I see your setting info and then update it accordingly.

I wasn't sure how you wanted the character sheet, so I uploaded as a PDF. As a DM, I know that's what I prefer...

[sblock=Character Background]From halls carved deep into the Bloodshield Mountains, the hammer-on-stone rhythm echoed through the many chambers that twisted and wove their way through the dwarven complex of Clan Nogginsplitter. Baern himself wasn't a Nogginsplitter proper, but a Stoneheart, and his ancestors had stood on the right hand of Nogginsplitters for as long as any dwarf could remember.

Baern found himself alone, as he often did, as he worked his craft inside the mountain, and the laborious music danced in his head as he worked on a particularly stubborn piece of rock. Sweat ran through his intricately woven beard as he swung his hammer to the melody, each blow met with a guttural growl. Finally, at the height of his crescendo, Baern swung his hammer one final time and broke the large rock free from the wall. It landed on the dusty ground in pieces, and one large chunk in particular grabbed his attention. It was a piece about ten inches long, and embedded in it was a metallic rod of some sort. Baern picked it up and examined it carefully, turning the piece over and over in his thick hands. Finally, he reached to pull the thing free, and his world changed forever.

Baern never spoke of the visions when he awoke nearly a fortnight later in the care of the clan's priests. His clansmen had found him alone and unconscious, clutching the strange rod emblazoned with an ancient symbol of Blackmoor. The priests begged him to rest, but the stubborn dwarf bullied his way out of the bed anyway, and showed no obvious signs of ill effect. He snatched up the ancient rod laying on a bedside table and bulldozed his way out of the priests' chambers.

"What're ye doin' boy?" a voice screamed at Baern Stoneheart as he headed out into the outer chambers of the complex with a pack strapped to his back.

Baern didn't look back, but his words echoed off the hallowed halls and will never be forgotten. "The will of Blackmoor."

Arriving in Black Lake Proper weeks later with blood on his hammer wasn't his best idea. Answering the question of why it was there with "a'cause I ain't washed it yet," was even worse.[/sblock]

-IG

Attachments

• Baern Stoneheart.pdf
    279.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Baern Stoneheart-level 3.pdf
    165.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Baern Stoneheart-level 4.pdf
    176.3 KB · Views: 405
  • Baern Stoneheart-level 5.pdf
    179.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Barshevy

First Post
Here's Drago, a reformed bandit. He developed a conscience after turning on a childhood friend:

Sol Drago, level 1
Human, Fighter
Fighter Talents: Battlerager Vigor

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 17, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 17, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10.

AC: 16 Fort: 16 Reflex: 12 Will: 11
HP: 32 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Streetwise +5, Intimidate +5, Athletics +7, Endurance +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering, Heal, History, Insight, Nature, Perception, Religion, Stealth, Thievery

FEATS
Human: Human Perseverance
Level 1: Improved Vigor

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Reaping Strike
Fighter at-will 1: Cleave
Fighter at-will 1: Crushing Surge
Fighter encounter 1: Bell Ringer
Fighter daily 1: Knee Breaker

ITEMS
Chainmail, Adventurer's Kit, Greatsword

Rathan

First Post
[sblock=Doren (Door-ren) Kar]Doren Kar, Level 4
Lawful Neutral Human Cleric of Blackmoor
Titles: Lawgiver of the City of Blackmoor, Knight of the Vale

ABILITY SCORES: Value in ()'s includes Mod + 1/2 Level
Str 14 [+2] (+4)
Con 14 [+2] (+4)
Dex 11 [+0] (+2)
Int 12 [+1] (+3)
Wis 17 [+3] (+5) [+2 Racial, +1 Level]
Cha 13 [+1] (+3) [+1 Level]

AC: 20 Fort: 17 Reflex: 16 Will: 20
HP: 46 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 11
Initiative: +6 [+4 Feat, +1/2 Level Mod]
Melee Attack Bonus: +8
Ranged Attack Bonus: +4
Wis + Implement Attack Bonus: +7

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +8, Diplomacy +9, Heal +10, Insight +10, History +8, Bluff +4

FEATS
Human: Human Perseverance
Level 1: Improved Initiative
Level 2: Shield Proficiency (Light)
Level 4: Healer's Implement (Source: Divine Power)
[sblock= Feat Description]Tier: Heroic
Prerequisites: Cleric Class
Effect: Whenever you grant healing with any of your healing powers, add your holy symbols enhancement bonus to the hit points the recipient regains.[/sblock]

[sblock=POWERS]
Bonus At-Will Power: Righteous Brand
At-Will ✦ Divine,Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and one ally within
5 squares of you gains a power bonus to melee attack rolls
against the target equal to your Strength modifier until the
end of your next turn.

At-will Level 1: Lance of Faith
At-Will ✦ Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Ranged 5
Attack: Wisdom vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Wisdom modifier radiant damage, and one ally
you can see gains a +2 power bonus to his or her next attack
roll against the target.

At-will Level 1: Sacred Flame
At-Will ✦ Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Ranged 5
Hit: 1d6 + Wisdom modifier radiant damage, and one ally
you can see chooses either to gain temporary hit points
equal to your Charisma modifier + one-half your level or
to make a saving throw.

Class Encounter: Divine Fortune
Encounter ✦ Divine
Free Action Personal
Effect: You gain a +1 bonus to your next attack roll or saving
throw before the end of your next turn.

Class Encounter: Turn Undead
Encounter ✦ Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Close burst 2
(5 at 11th level, 8 at 21st level)
Target: Each undead creature in burst
Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
Hit: 1d10 + Wisdom modifier radiant damage, and you
push the target a number of squares equal to 3 + your
Charisma modifier. The target is immobilized until the end
of your next turn.
Miss: Half damage, and the target is not pushed or
immobilized.

Class Encounter: Healing Word x2
Encounter (Special) ✦ Divine, Healing
Special: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only
once per round. At 16th level, you can use this power three
times per encounter.
Minor Action Close burst 5
(10 at 11th level, 15 at 21st level)
Target: You or one ally
Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain an
additional 1d6 hit points.

Encounter Level 1: Healing Strike
Encounter ✦ Divine, Healing, Radiant, Weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier radiant damage, and the
target is marked until the end of your next turn. In
addition, you or one ally within 5 squares of you can
spend a healing surge.

Encounter Level 3: Daunting Light
A burning column of light engulfs your foe. Its brilliance burns
and hinders your foe’s defense for a short time.
Encounter ✦ Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Ranged 10
Hit: 2d10 + Wisdom modifier radiant damage.
Effect: One ally you can see gains combat advantage against
the target until the end of your next turn.

Daily Level 1: Avenging Flame
Daily ✦ Divine, Fire,Weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage, and ongoing 5 fire
damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and no ongoing fire damage.
Special: If the target attacks on its turn, it can’t attempt a
saving throw against the ongoing damage.

Utility Level 2: Cure Light Wounds
You utter a simple prayer and gain the power to instantly heal
wounds, and your touch momentarily suffuses you or a wounded
creature with a dim silver light.
Daily ✦ Divine, Healing
Standard Action Melee touch
Target: You or one creature
Effect: The target regains hit points as if it had spent a healing
surge.

[/sblock]

Basic Equipment:
Adventurer's Kit, +2 Vicious Mace, Dagger, +2 Holy Symbol of Life, Hand Crossbow (with 40 bolts), Light Shield, Medallion of The Vale (Worn on Chest)

Magic Equipment:
+2 Vicious Mace
+2 Holy Symbol of Life
+1 Healers Chainmail (1,000 gp) [Adventurers Vault: Adds enhancement bonus to healing powers I use.]
Cloak of the Walking Wounded (840 gp) [Adventurers Vault: +1 Fort, Refl, Will and when I use a second wind I can spend two healing surges and gain HP for both.]
Gem of Colloquy (540 gp) [Adventurers Vault: +1 enhancement bonus to bluff and diplomacy checks, and understand and speak one additional language (Supernal) chosen at the time of creation.

Money: 622 gp[/sblock]

Doren stood before the crowd of his peers being judged by every eye in the courtroom. His eyes shifted back and forth, slowly taking in the depth of the situation before him. He knew with those gathered before him this was no mistake, the king was now dead and he and those beside him accused of the crime.

This was a far cry from his rather mundane and routine days as a devoted servant to Blackmoor. His hometown named after his deities sake and each and every day he reveled at the flocking people would make to take residence in his home city. As a priest of Justice and War he was tasked to the city guard as spiritual adviser and consult for diplomatic means. To Doren Kar, his day consisted of anything from talking people off roof ledges to pre-sentencing people for their crimes committed in front of the law before being sent to judgment.

However Doren wasn't the most strict of his position and purpose, here and there he would let the less fortunate 'slip' on crimes as he knew there was good in these people and he knew what crime they committed was for pure survival and not just for the sake of breaking the law.

In a way it was rather ironic that he now sat before a panel of his own 'peers' under the watchful eyes of the law he so righteously upheld now only to be accused of a crime he did not commit, or at least did not remember committing. Before long the tall priest stands before the court given his turn to speak he does so.......

"Given the severity of this accusation at hand and my position with the law and as a citizen in good standing I state before you all that I am certainly innocent and not able or willing to commit a crime such as this. Believing I could be part of a cabal to fell the late and great king is asinine and I hereby request to have my name cleared of such charges." stated the rather verbose priest and used his skill in diplomacy to his full advantage.

Last edited:

yzard

First Post
Hey, DF. Thanks for getting this rolling.

EDIT: Updated with a bit of background.

[sblock=Thom's background]

Born in Proper, Thom was always fascinated with the arcane arts. His father had been an accountant of sorts, selling his services to local businesses and royalty alike. Being raised by an accountant (and expected to follow his father) he was taught early on the power of formulas and figures. But he took a very different path when he entered his teen years.

Though his father's lessons about the purity of established mathematics became part of who he was, he took that idea in a different direction and began to study the arcane arts. He brought to his studies an analytic mind and a confidence that solutions to problems CAN be found if one has enough data and the proper mental tools.

Thom is a studious wizard that enjoys books more than people. Though he gets along well enough with most, he just doesn't give much thought to the social graces. Problems are more fascinating (and sometimes people ARE the problem!) and he can get very focused on solving them to the exclusion of all else.

Ever since his father's death (from fever), Thom has unknowingly been even more engrossed in his learning. Deep down, he is positive that had his father spent his considerable mental prowess in other areas of learning he would have been able to avoid death from such a common ailment.
[/sblock]

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Thom, level 1
Human, Wizard
Build: Summoner Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery: Tome of Binding

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 20, Wis 11, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 17 Fort: 13 Reflex: 14 Will: 13
HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
History +10, Arcana +10, Nature +5, Religion +10, Insight +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering, Endurance +2, Heal, Intimidate -1, Perception, Stealth, Streetwise -1, Thievery, Athletics

FEATS
Wizard: Ritual Caster
Human: Improved Initiative
Level 1: Careful Summoner

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Storm Pillar
Wizard at-will 1: Scorching Burst
Wizard at-will 1: Chilling Cloud
Wizard encounter 1: Astral Wasp
Wizard daily 1: Summon Fire Warrior
Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Rolling Thunder

ITEMS
Spellbook, Implement, Tome, Adventurer's Kit, Leather Armor, Dagger

RITUALS
Brew Potion, Arcane Mark, Comprehend Language

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Here's my changeling assassin sellsword. :)

Thorn, level 1
Changeling, Assassin
Guild Training: Night Stalker
Background: Cultural Assimilator (+2 to Insight)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 14, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 14, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 14.

AC: 16 Fort: 13 Reflex: 14 Will: 15
HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +9, Insight +10, Acrobatics +9, Perception +6, Bluff +10, Thievery +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +2, Heal +1, History, Intimidate +3, Nature +1, Religion, Streetwise +3, Athletics -1

FEATS
Level 1: Sneak of Shadows

POWERS
Assassin at-will 1: Shadow Storm
Assassin at-will 1: Inescapable Blade
Assassin encounter 1: Nightmare Shades
Assassin daily 1: Targeted for Death

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Leather Armor, Short sword, Identification Papers, Standard (4), Thieves' Tools

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases