1st Level Drow Monk Build

dragonis111

First Post
Well my I just finished helping my friend make a 1st level drow monk, but I have a few questions I want to straighten out.

First of all he has shurikens, and I am wondering if it would be possible to coat them with poison without poisoning yourself since you hold them in your hand?

Secondly has anyone else eve made a drow monk, if so what was you build focused on?

On a different note, are there any enchantments for armor that reduces it type like from heavy to medium or medium to light, or that increase the maximum dexterity bonus?

Dandu

First Post
1. Yes. Wear gloves.

2. Not that I know of. It seems that the race/class combination would not work out well.

3. Mithral armor goes down a weight category, to a minimum of Light. The Masterwork enhancement and the Mithral enhancement both increase Dex bonus. Also, monks lose their abilities while they're wearing armor.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Yeah, Drow Monk just seems like an inherently bad combination, considering that you're basically paying +1 LA of the Drow's +2 LA solely for the Spell Resistance, which monk eventually gives you anyway...

Herobizkit

Adventurer
As per RAW, there's always a chance you'll accidentally poison yourself...

A character has a 5% chance of exposing himself to a poison whenever he applies it to a weapon or otherwise readies it for use. Additionally, a character who rolls a natural 1 on an attack roll with a poisoned weapon must make a DC 15 Reflex save or accidentally poison himself with the weapon.

... unless you have a class-specific ability that says otherwise.

(example: Assassin PrC) Poison Use: Assassins are trained in the use of poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves when applying poison to a blade.

I haven't made a Drow Monk before, but given their bonus to Dex, I would suggest going with the Weapon Finesse feat, then the Two-Weapon Fighting route using special monk weapons and Flurry. If you wanted to, you could also throw on the Master Thrower (see what I did there?) PrC and then you'd have decent ranged and melee combat.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What sourcebooks do you have access to?

Certain books either have feats that let you treat certain weapons as Monk weapons, or adds new Monk weapons to the list (either as new weapons or in the form of Monk variant classes).

For instance, Pole Master or Pole Fighter (one is in PHB2, the other in DCv1) let you use a particular polearm as a Monk weapon...which means you could then FoB with Reach. That build just begs for the Combat Reflexes feat tree.

OTOH, the Shou Disciple (OA) is a PrCl that lets you FoB with ANY weapon...even if you're in armor. Another good PrCl from that book is the Shiba Protector- your Wis bonus also applies to Att & damage rolls.

Check my sig for more details.

Last edited:

Dragonnety

First Post
I used to play a drow monk. But mostly because I liked the style. I would suggest to multiclass as ninja. They are both Dex / Wis based and the ninja skill points are really usefull (especially if you take the 1st level as ninja). Plus you gain the use poison ability that you are so eager to get.

Anton85

First Post
I used to play a drow monk. But mostly because I liked the style. I would suggest to multiclass as ninja. They are both Dex / Wis based and the ninja skill points are really usefull (especially if you take the 1st level as ninja). Plus you gain the use poison ability that you are so eager to get.

Dont forget to take 'Skill Focus: Underwater Basket Weaving" to get you out of those tight situations.

Remove ads