Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne - Seven Days to the Grave

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: This fight also shows one weakness we have, namely lack of magical weapons (or magical items in general) - would this particular daemon be vulnerable to magic weapon or is it specifically vulnerable to silver?

We need to stock up on silversheen, I'll put Jeremiah on that immediately, right along with enchanting Deathwail and few armors and daggers/other weapons for the group...since I cannot carry two or three polearms of different materials, I'll have to carry silversheen, cold-iron-sheen and adamant-sheen :p
[MENTION=21938]Dr Simon[/MENTION], is there some feat a la Leadership, but which doesn't require charisma as Edmond has none :) Maybe a trait since it was acquired in-game with the orphanage?

We also need some kind of instant messaging device to contact Jeremiah/Kester, Marshal Kroft, Mamusia Lela, The Temple and the wererats. Besides running through wand of Sending, any ideas? Familiars (like Red :p) telepathy, whatever...

Axel

First Post
OOC: This fight also shows one weakness we have, namely lack of magical weapons (or magical items in general) - would this particular daemon be vulnerable to magic weapon or is it specifically vulnerable to silver?

We need to stock up on silversheen, I'll put Jeremiah on that immediately, right along with enchanting Deathwail and few armors and daggers/other weapons for the group...since I cannot carry two or three polearms of different materials, I'll have to carry silversheen, cold-iron-sheen and adamant-sheen :p
@Dr Simon, is there some feat a la Leadership, but which doesn't require charisma as Edmond has none :) Maybe a trait since it was acquired in-game with the orphanage?

We also need some kind of instant messaging device to contact Jeremiah/Kester, Marshal Kroft, Mamusia Lela, The Temple and the wererats. Besides running through wand of Sending, any ideas? Familiars (like Red :p) telepathy, whatever...

I've never been convinced that it should be necessary for adventurers to carry enough special-effect stuff to cover all eventualities. We have three spontaneous-casters and five different weapons between us. That should be enough... I do seem to remember we *ahem* acquired a magical rapier (bane vs humans?) from our "good" Doctor friend. Can't remember the intent for it. He and his crew had quite a pile of loot...including magical weapons.

Neurotic

OOC: I'm not saying we need "special effects", but some monsters need some magical prodding and we could use extra +n to hit. My next feat is probably weapon focus, just for that one purpose...if I miss, I waste a spell.

Dr Simon

Explorer
[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION], I don't know of an equivalent feat, but I'm not familiar with the full array of PF feats; nearest I can think of is the half-orc barbarian's friend, Intimidating Prowess, but that only affects intimidation. Edmond's only got a -1 Cha penalty as I recall, that's not too bad when you factor in character level as well.

Axel

First Post
Mhairi

As the nurse realises the enormity of the situation, Mhairi holds her tightly across the shoulder. Don't make her feel like she's being frogmarched into the dungeon - make her feel like she's got just one friend left in the world.

"Look, lady. We still don't know your name. You treat us like you would a cow pat on the bottom of your shoe. Even so, if we weren't genuine wouldn't we have left you to be eaten by that...horsey thing. I mean, it nearly did for me and this... Well. This isn't exactly my first rodeo. Not that I can compare my experiences to the other three. That's like a bucket compared to the sea. So, if you don't believe us now then I don't think you actually can."

Mhairi paused for a moment. She's already out of her depth. No need to preach like a priest... She pulled the nurse in to a tight hug, trying her genuine best to comfort her.

[sblock=ooc]
OOC: I'm not saying we need "special effects", but some monsters need some magical prodding and we could use extra +n to hit. My next feat is probably weapon focus, just for that one purpose...if I miss, I waste a spell.

Magical prodding is something that comes along about now. Sucks - its kinda like a "hardness plateau" in the game rules.

Weapon Focus is a good feat. Utterly under-rated by teh internetz I haven't the faintest idea what to take for Mhairi at level 7... On crunchies alone, Leadership is good. Completely out of character though...need to do some research.
[/sblock]

Neurotic

[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION], I don't know of an equivalent feat, but I'm not familiar with the full array of PF feats; nearest I can think of is the half-orc barbarian's friend, Intimidating Prowess, but that only affects intimidation. Edmond's only got a -1 Cha penalty as I recall, that's not too bad when you factor in character level as well.

No, but compared to say paladin or sorceror, the difference is at around our level :)

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Brunlida," says the nurse. "My name is Brunlida Torthus." Her expression hardens. "No," she says flatly. "I believe you. Davaulus lied to me, to all of us. I'll help you finish this."

[sblock=OOC]
Neurotic, I suppose the other option would be to take one of those "+2 to two skills" feats that applies to Cha-based skills (off the top of my head, Negotiator or Persuasive); at least with PF they scale so that you get +4 if you have 10 or more ranks in the skill. Doesn't feel quite right, though.

Axel, there are various feats for adding special effects to sneak attacks that are good fodder for rogues.
[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Not wanting Manachan to feel left out Mhairi offered him a hug too, and a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you, then, Manachan, you gorgeous blonde thing you" she said with a smile.

Plainly startled at first, Manachan stiffens briefly as the flirty woman hugs him but then relaxes and returns the hug with a somewhat awkward pat on the shoulder. "It was nothing, really. I'm certain you'd have done the same were our positions reversed." He holds up a hand as she offers to return his dagger. "No, you keep it. You're far more effective with it than I, and this way we won't have to waste time and endanger ourselves passing it off again."

He watches carefully as the others bring the nurse around to a more . . . realistic . . . view of events but doesn't offer words of his own.

[sblock=OOC]Would've Aided Another as well if I'd gotten to update before it was all said and done, but it wasn't needed anyway :D.[/sblock]

[sblock=Catching Up!]
I do think we need to work on our "resistance" side of things though. Improve saves, DR and AC. Or use terrain better, though that's challenging in a 'dungeon'. If I remember rightly, Mhairi's AC (at 18) is as good as, or better, than the rest of the party. Having played many rogues through 3.5, I can tell you that it is quite a unique situation...

Yeah, it seems as though the character who's most likely to be staying at a distance is the one with the best defenses - Manachan's got good saves, resistances against four kinds of energy damage and a 21 AC (17 Touch, 18 FF). His melee damage output is terrible, though, so unless we're fighting foes subject to his Stunning Blow he's best off staying on the fringes of the fights where he can.

I haven't the faintest idea what to take for Mhairi at level 7... On crunchies alone, Leadership is good. Completely out of character though...need to do some research.

Are we close to Level 7? Or there, and I missed the announcement? :D

[MENTION=21938]Dr Simon[/MENTION], the Advanced Race Guide came out well after I conceptualized Manachan. When we do get to level 7, would you be opposed to my checking out some of the alternatives there for Manachan? If I do it at the level break I could RP/justify it as a 'natural' strengthening of his Heavenly blood.[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat Block]Manachan Aingeali
Male Aasimar (MCP) Monk 2 Sorcerer 4
LG Medium Outsider (native)
Init +6; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +13
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 21, touch 17, flat-footed 18 (+4 armor, +2 Dex, +1 deflection, +1 dodge)
hp 47 (2d8+4d6+6)
Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +10
Defensive Abilities evasion; Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Masterwork Silver Dagger +6 (1d4/19-20/x2) and
. . Nunchaku +5 (1d6+1/x2) and
. . Silver Dagger +5 (1d4/19-20/x2) and
. . Unarmed strike +5 (1d6+1/x2)
Ranged Heavy crossbow +5 (1d10+1/19-20/x2)
Special Attacks flurry of blows +0/+0, heavenly fire (7/day)
Spell-Like Abilities Daylight (1/day)
Sorcerer Spells Known (CL 6):
2 (4/day) Glitterdust
1 (8/day) Bless, Chill Touch (DC 16), Mage Armor, Magic Missile
0 (at will) Resistance, Touch of Fatigue (DC 15), Daze (DC 15), Read Magic, Prestidigitation (DC 15), Jolt
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 11, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 18
Base Atk +3; CMB +3 (+5 Grappling); CMD 20 (22 vs. Grapple)
Feats Arcane Strike, Dodge, Eschew Materials, Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist (3/day) (DC 16), Weapon Finesse
Traits Magical Knack (Sorcerer)
Skills Acrobatics +6 (+11 to make high or long jumps), Bluff +8, Diplomacy +6, Escape Artist +6, Heal +7, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Knowledge (history) +4, Knowledge (religion) +4, Perception +13, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +4, Stealth +6, Use Magic Device +8
Languages Celestial, Common
SQ ac bonus +3, bloodlines (celestial), celestial sorcery, stunning fist (stun), unarmed strike (1d6)
Combat Gear Potion of cure serious wounds, Smokestick (4), Thunderstone (4); Other Gear Crossbow bolts (20), Heavy crossbow, Masterwork Silver Dagger, Nunchaku (2), Silver Crossbow bolts (5), Silver Dagger, Ring of jumping, Ring of protection +1, Grappling hook, Sack (10 @ 15 lbs), Silk rope, Trail rations (8), 2669 GP, 9 SP, 12 CP
--------------------
TRACKED RESOURCES
--------------------
Crossbow bolts - 0/20
Daylight (1/day) (Sp) - 0/1
Heavenly Fire (7/day) (Sp) - 0/7
Masterwork Silver Dagger - 0/1
Potion of cure serious wounds - 0/1
Silver Crossbow bolts - 0/5
Silver Dagger - 0/1
Smokestick - 0/4
Stunning Fist (3/day) (DC 16) - 0/3
Thunderstone - 0/4
Trail rations - 0/8
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
AC Bonus +3 The Monk adds his Wisdom bonus to AC and CMD, more at higher levels.
Arcane Strike As a swift action, add +1 damage, +1 per 5 caster levels and your weapons are treated as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Celestial Summoned creatures gain DR 2/evil.
Celestial Sorcery Aasimar sorcerers with the Celestial bloodline treat their Charisma score as 2 points higher for all Sorcerer class abilities.
Damage Resistance, Acid (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Acid attacks.
Damage Resistance, Cold (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Cold attacks.
Damage Resistance, Electricity (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Electricity attacks.
Damage Resistance, Fire (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Fire attacks.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Daylight (1/day) (Sp) Daylight once per day.
Eschew Materials Cast spells without materials, if component cost is 1 gp or less.
Evasion (Ex) If you succeed at a Reflex save for half damage, you take none instead.
Flurry of Blows +0/+0 (Ex) Make Flurry of Blows attack as a full rd action.
Heavenly Fire (7/day) (Sp) Ranged touch attack deals 1d4 divine damage/healing
Improved Grapple You don't provoke attacks of opportunity when grappling a foe.
Improved Unarmed Strike Unarmed strikes don't cause attacks of opportunity, and can be lethal.
Magical Knack (Sorcerer) +2 CL for a specific class, to a max of your HD.
Ring of jumping This ring continually allows the wearer to leap about, providing a +5 competence bonus on all his Acrobatics checks made to make high or long jumps.

Construction
Requirements: Forge Ring, creator must have 5 ranks in the Acrobatics skill; Cost 1,250 gp
Stunning Fist (3/day) (DC 16) You can stun an opponent with an unarmed attack.
Stunning Fist (Stun) (Ex) At 1st level, the monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. At 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the monk gains the ability to apply a new condition to the target of his Stunning Fist. This conditio
Unarmed Strike (1d6) The Monk does lethal damage with his unarmed strikes.
--------------------
Silken hair the color of spun gold; eyes the dark blue of deep ocean but shot through with silver; skin the hue of milk with just a hint of chocolate. Manachan was a sensation among his much darker Varisian clan – plainly proof that their kapenia showed true and that their line was descended from divinity.

The Aingeali clan claims descent in direct line from Irori himself, though the claim has been disputed by many. The birth of Manachan, with his very unusual coloring, has been taken as proof by his parents and others of the clan. In many ways, the young man had a charmed childhood.

However, the pressure on him to live up to his ancestor’s divine example has been tremendous, and has led to great internal conflict between the wild ways of his nationality and the discipline espoused by his perfect ancestry. In an effort to resolve this conflict, Manachan left his clan at the age of 13 to enter a small monastery devoted to Irori. He has spent the last four years there, training relentlessly and learning that the path to perfection requires, for him at least, a balance between freedom and discipline, and carefully maintained contradiction between his clan’s nature and his ancestor’s teachings. Adding to his difficulties, about a year after entering the monastery his sorcerous abilities manifested. The instinctual nature of his magic disrupted even further the strict discipline required by the teachings of the monks.

Now 17 and finished with his studies at the monastery, Manachan has found that balance and been released into the world to continue his struggles toward perfection. A confident, outgoing young man with an easy humor and tremendous ability, he has found it fairly easy thus far to make his way.

Now at loose ends and with no instruction other than to find his own way to pursue his perfection, Manachan resolved to return to Korvosa – he had met a young scholar (Edmond) there on one of his errands for the monastery and they had struck a fast friendship. He was fascinated with the life of the sprawling city and decided that learning more of it would provide him some valuable lessons for his path.

Manachan dresses in dark, smoky oranges and forest greens, typically wearing a narrow kilt like wrap from the waist down and either going bare chested or donning a simple tunic – depending on weather and social requirements of his current location. He keeps his hair tied in a ponytail. Other than eyebrows his body is completely lacking secondary hair. He wears his bata strapped to his back, along with his crossbow. All of his other belongings he carries in a sack – to be dropped at a moment’s notice in case of a need to defend himself.[/sblock]

Neurotic

the character who's most likely to be staying at a distance is the one with the best defenses - Manachan's got good saves, resistances against four kinds of energy damage and a 21 AC (17 Touch, 18 FF). His melee damage output is terrible, though, so unless we're fighting foes subject to his Stunning Blow he's best off staying on the fringes of the fights where he can.

I disagree. Damage output is not the only thing that character bring into a fight. In 4e I play a warden (defender role) who's terrible at damage dealing, but anything marked by him isn't going anywhere. In couple more levels he will be a nightmare to be around (if you're an enemy) with (low) punishment, but slowing, proning and dazing all around. But most important thing he brings to the table is high(ish) defenses and high durability - he's nearly impossible to bring down (as an example he survived 8 charges of similar level enemies with three crits and took enough damage to kill any other character in the party. He ended standing in low double-digits hp.

And I've seen monks played in similar role, attacking in melee for low damage, but drawing off few attacks of others and providing flanking bonuses for rogues. For situations similar to this, Manachan in front of Edmond until such time he is bloodied and then exchanging places would be tactics to consider (Edmond has reach) - getting your damage up of course is something to consider - brute gauntlets cost only 500gp if Dr Simon allows them still - it's three charges per day, but still, damage is damage.

Axel

First Post
Mhairi

Mhairi drew the nurse into a tighter embrace as she came round to their side. "Thanks for believing in us Brunilda. That's probably the most help anyone's been all day. It makes us feel less bat-outta-hell crazy. She grinned and added "Well, me at least."

"Is there anything we really need to know about this place? Another way in or out? Or this priest lady? What's her name.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases