Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne - Seven Days to the Grave

Dr Simon

Explorer
A brief stop at Citadel Volshyenek shows that Marshal Kroft is currently busy, and all you get from her is a terse message to stay low for the time being.

Later, in Vencarlo's house:

"Well, Blackjack told me you helped his rescue," says Vencarlo with a sly grin. "I wish I'd seen the Queen's face. The question now is what to do with Ms. Sabor."

"I'm sorry," says Trinia. "I've caused you all nothing but trouble. I didn't kill the King, you know. I only met him a couple of times for preliminary sketches. He was very old and very sick, I guess he just... died. I don't know why everyone thinks that there was something strange behind it." She fiddles with an amulet that she's wearing around her neck. Vencarlo claims that Blackjack left it for her to wear, to evade magical detection.

"Might I suggest that the young lady stay here for now?" says Vencarlo. "I have, well, resources to hide her and your house is always busy Edmond. Sooner or later, somebody would see her there. We wait a few weeks until things are calmer, and then smuggle her out of the city somehow. Thoughts, gentlemen?"

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"She may live in Dead Warrens for time being. Thing will keep her safe and nobody in their right mind would come searching for her there."
With his monotone voice it's hard to say whether strange warrior jokes or not.
"Of course someone might see her on the way there so she may be better off here."
finally Edmond cracks awkward smile.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"I wouldn't want anyone to stay in that awful place," Brindom says seriously. "And I don't think she should stay in any one place to long."

Standing by the window he looks out, "If the king didn't die of old age, and Ms. Sabor didn't kill him, then how did he die?" He turns to everyone looking uneasy as all eyes are on him as he speaks. "We should try and find out how the king died and then Ms. Sabor need not hide any longer. But does anyone know where to start?"

Last edited:

Ambrus

Explorer
"Well, Blackjack told me you helped his rescue," says Vencarlo with a sly grin. "I wish I'd seen the Queen's face. The question now is what to do with Ms. Sabor."
Dj'hân, sitting atop Vincario's mantlepiece, screws up his usually cherubic features into a puzzled expression.
"We wait a few weeks until things are calmer, and then smuggle her out of the city somehow. Thoughts, gentlemen?"
Dj'hân looks suddenly cheerful as he kicks his dangling feet playfully. "Smuggling her out of the city is easy peasy. I can do that right now! I would have done it earlier if I'd known where to go with her..." The urchin frowns at Vincario.

Dr Simon

Explorer
"No, not right now," says Vencarlo. "The Queen will almost certainly have posted a watch on the city limits, and the Sable Company are out. In a few days, though, she will have to loosen her grip or trade will start to suffer." He looks thoughtful for a moment. "If not... if not, then maybe we'll have to rely on your remarkable hat, little fellow. But for the moment we let things calm down. Besides, I need to sort out somewhere for her to go, beyond the reach of Korvosa's Queen."

Trinia wrinkles her nose at Edmond.

"The Dead Warrens sound icky," she says.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Manachan looks at Edmond in obviously feigned astonishment.

"Humor, my friend? Next the stars will surely reverse their course and the sun fall from the sky!"

Ambrus

Explorer
"If not... if not, then maybe we'll have to rely on your remarkable hat, little fellow. But for the moment we let things calm down. Besides, I need to sort out somewhere for her to go, beyond the reach of Korvosa's Queen."
The urchin merely shrugs. "Suit yourself. Let us know if ya need anything."

OOC: With the issue settled for the moment, Dj'hân is content to leave it at that and return to his carefree life on the streets for the time being.

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
Several weeks pass in Korvosa, and weather begins to head towards the sultry days of early summer. For about a week, the city is abuzz with news about Blackjack's appearance and Trinia's rescue. The Queen issues a 5000gp bounty for each of Trinia and Blackjack, but no-one seems too eager to take up the offer.

For a while, gossip spreads that the King may have simply died of old age, but conspiracy theories continue to do the rounds. Opinion of the Queen divides the city into two camps who (for now) politely disagree with one another. Her speech has mollified many of her critics, but the botched execution creates others. Statement: the Queen has promised to reduce trade taxes; Counter statement: anyone can promise this, but it hasn't happened yet. Statement: the Queen ordered the Order of the Nail Hellknights out of the city after their heavy-handed tactics. Counter-statement: she invited them in in the first place. Normality returns to Korvosa, mostly.

Soon, other rumours rise to greater prominence; rumours that the Shoanti are gathering to make war on Korvosan lands, and that the peace envoy led by Thousand Bones has left the city; rumours of ghost ships sailing up the Jeggare River in the dead of night; rumours of increased activity amongst the Shingles imps.

This last seems to be what finally decides Jeremiah to move into Edmond's orphanage. Building work continues on the place, and the old Mer'Cauthon house is now looking much more respectable, a shining beacon in Old Korvosa. Thing the otyugh, being deemed too large for Lynn's butcher's shop, is repatriated back into the sewers. Nothing is heard from Vencarlo Orisini in this time, although you hear that his academy is open for business. But another old acquiantance drops by.

The last time you saw the Sable Marine, Grau Kirton, he was nursing his sorrows at the bottom of a bottle, after having his hippogriff shot out from under him during the riots on the night of the king's death, what seems like so long ago when Edmond, Thorson and Dj'hân took down Gaedren Lamm.

Now, the man looks much more presentable, bright and sober, albeit creased by worry when he calls at Edmond's house.

"I wanted to thank you for your help," he says. "I got messed up when Badger died, but I'm better now. Returned to duty, got a new hippogriff. You helped me remember I had responsibilities. Which brings me to the reason I'm here. I, well, I sort of help look after my sister and her family, ever since my brother-in-law got himself killed in action a few years back. Thing is, my niece is sick. There's nothing the local healer can do, and we can't afford the fees that the Bank of Abadar are asking for magical help. I was wondering, I guess, if you could take a look at her? I know that you know priests," he turns to Edmond. "I'm not asking for money or anything but I'm running out of people to turn to."

Dr Simon

Explorer
"If the king didn't die of old age, and Ms. Sabor didn't kill him, then how did he die?" He turns to everyone looking uneasy as all eyes are on him as he speaks. "We should try and find out how the king died and then Ms. Sabor need not hide any longer. But does anyone know where to start?"

OOC: Didn't mean to ignore this in the last post, but kind of slid over it.

IC:
Although Trinia's suggestion is that the King did die of old age, Vencarlo follows a bit of theorising on Brindoms assumption that, in fact, his death was un-natural as rumours make it out to be. One possibility: break into the catacombs beneath Castle Korvosa, summon the King's spirit and ask him. Two: kidnap the Queen and find out what she knows. Three: The Seneschal, Neolandus, went missing on the same night. If he is still alive, chances are he may know more information, although he may also be the supposed murderer. Unfortunately, "went missing" means "vanished without a trace". Four: If somebody else did kill the King, then sooner or later more clues might appear to those who were keeping an eye out for them.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Manachan looks at Edmond in obviously feigned astonishment.

"Humor, my friend? Next the stars will surely reverse their course and the sun fall from the sky!"

"I'm feeling more at ease now then ever in my memory. Lamm is behind bars, kids are doing nicely. I'm just worried that my magic may weaken as my anger recedes. But there are plenty to make myself angry again.

I'd like to find, or rather be found, by Backbreaker. I need to ask Kester if he knows what became of him."

riginally Posted by HolyMan View Post
"If the king didn't die of old age, and Ms. Sabor didn't kill him, then how did he die?" He turns to everyone looking uneasy as all eyes are on him as he speaks. "We should try and find out how the king died and then Ms. Sabor need not hide any longer. But does anyone know where to start?"

Brindom, can't you make some divination, maybe aided in or by the temple? Just to get clues whether there is, in fact, foul play involved.

. I, well, I sort of help look after my sister and her family, ever since my brother-in-law got himself killed in action a few years back. Thing is, my niece is sick. There's nothing the local healer can do, and we can't afford the fees that the Bank of Abadar are asking for magical help. I was wondering, I guess, if you could take a look at her? I know that you know priests," he turns to Edmond. "I'm not asking for money or anything but I'm running out of people to turn to."
"Yes, of course, marine Kilton". Edmond salutes formally and then relaxes. "Come, I'll introduce you, one is living here."

A bit later
"Brindom, Manachan, this is sable marine Grau Kilton. We helped him with some minor disturbance in riot times. He has a request for you."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases