Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne - Seven Days to the Grave

Dr Simon

Explorer
Brindom works methodically to try to ease Brienna's symptoms. He isn't sure, exactly, what the disease is but he applies a range of remedies that should at least make her comfortable, and hopefully help her improve. She rests more easily when he is done, but only tomorrow will tell if he has been successful or not.

Brienna is in no fit state to answer questions so her mother, Tayce, answers as best she can. The rash came first, along with a headache and fatigue. Then the coughing, which got worse, and the swellings under the arms. Tayce doesn't know what Brienna was doing to contract the disease - she works as a maid across the river but it was one of her days off before she showed signs of becoming ill.

The old Varisian woman enters, bearing a bowl of something foul-smelling. She looks over at Brindom and the girl.

"Ah, she's resting, good." she says. "May I speak with you, young gentleman? I know you may think of me as just a moth witch-woman peddling fakery to the stupid gadje, yes? I know the young gentleman downstairs thinks that. But," she points at the girl, "I was midwife when this one came into the world, and the boys, yes, and even the young lady here," she indicates Tayce. "Anybody in Trail's End who was ever sick and got better will tell you that they have Mamusia Lela to thank for being alive. So while I may not have any fancy gadje learning degrees, I know about making people well." She leans in closer to Brindom. "May we talk, healer to healer? Do you recognise this sickness? I've been healer for fifty years, and learned what I know from my mamusia and hers before her, and this is not a sickness I have ever seen before."

[sblock=OOC]
I don't think you can Take20 on treating disease, as it takes time to determine success or failure. You can Take10 for a result of 18, which is enough. However, this will add +4 to Brienna's next saving throw, so still may not work outright, depending on the result.

Neither Brindom nor Manachan can see anything in the house that seems suspicious or likely to be responsible for causing or prolonging the disease.
[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Mamusia Lela," Brindom says with respect standing near the edge of the bed. "When it comes to helping those in need I am not above asking anyone for help. Please let us talk."

Brindom let's Brienna's mother take over watching her daughter, and the young cleric walks with the old mamusia out into the hall. "You say you have never seen the like of this before? And I have not either it's symptoms and progression are baffling."

Brindom starts a little pacing back and forth in the hall as Mamsuia Lela looks on. "You said you have been healing the sick fifty years," Brindom says stopping. "And this is the first yoou have seen this? What about symptoms like it but without the others, the rash and no cough or the cough and no rash?" he asks.

[sblock=OOC] Not taking 20 is alright, just glad taking 10 is enough LOL. This mamusia has like 45+ years more experience than Brindom wonder what her Heal check is? LOL [/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
Mamusia Lela hefts her bony shoulders in a shrug.

"I've seen these symptoms before, together and apart, yes. I thought perhaps it was the Red Wasting, or the Ague, or perhaps Stranger's Fever or the Morphew, but I've tried all my remedies for those and nothing works like it should." She shakes her head and sucks at her few remaining teeth. "Not good, I think. Not good at all."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Brindom starts to worry a little, if a wise and learned healer has no ideal what was he to do. His training, while good was not all inclusive you had to make time for the magical as well as the mundane.

"That might be it," Brindom suddenly says outloud. "Mamusia Lela, have you tried treating her for magical umm... infection. A curse or something.. well something from a magical source?" he asks thinking he sounds a fool.

[sblock=OOC] would a curse person radiant magic ?? Brindom didn't take detect magic would he know to ask Edmond to cast the spell?? [/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Alas, young sir, I don't have the skill to divine the presence of magic. Perhaps the Harrow would tell me, but...," Mamusia Lela shrugs again and wanders over to the window. "It shames an old Varisian that she should never be much good with the cards. There was one, Zellara, who was best of all of us, but she went to live in the big city across the river and was lost in gadje wickedness."

[sblock=OOC]
If you mean would Brindom know if Edmond was able to detect magic, I'd say that he would by now - or you could try asking Neurotic IC ;)

As for detecting curses, Brindom thinks this would work....
[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Please wait here Mamusia Lela," Brindom says heading to the steps. "I will see if we can get a little extra help."

Brindom calmly walks down the stares (though he wishes to run), and approaches Edmond as he speaks to the Sable Marine. Taking Edmond off to the side and away from the others he asks quietly, "I could use a little magical help Edmond. Specifically I want to know if Brienna is under some type of spell or something."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Sure. Lead the way."

OOC: and here I thought I'll be just dead weight here. And Dj'ahn could use the cards (from Zellara no less)

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Brindom excuses himself and Edmond an then leads the warrior-wizard up stairs. "I believe Edmond can see if we are dealing with something supernatural, but I don't know anyone able to use cards to heal the sick."

[sblock=OOC] Geez that was fast didn't even know you were on need to send you a friend request. I hope we can be friends :p [/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: As you can see, it was pure coincidence. I wasn't at work so I connected from home after my girls fell asleep. I wasn't online for more then about 15 minutes :)

Edmond concentrates and sweeps the room turning slowly and noting any aura's present, excluding Brindom and himself. He ends up focusing on the girl, removing the sheets and
moving the bed (or looking under if it's fixed)

OOC: using two of his detect magic attunements to sweep whole room (6 rounds) and ficusing fully on the girl and the bed (additional 2 rounds)

"I'm seeing...nothing. There is no magic at work. Maybe poison or some new disease? Back to your expertize, healers."

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
Edmond can see no evidence of magical auras in the room (except any that you carry). Mamusia Lela is quite mundane as well. Whatever is afflicting the young girl is apparently natural, just new and quite virulent.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases