D&D 3E/3.5 Just finished a long-running 3.5 campaign

NewJeffCT

First Post
The campaign lasted until level 18 in 3.5. I liked the overall style of 3.5 and I'm interested in Pathfinder, but I found 3.5 to be a bear to prepare for as a DM once you got past the lower levels. Every monster or NPC had a whole slew of skills, powers, feats, spells and/or spell-like abilities, class/race abilities, etc that I found almost impossible to remember when you combined it with magic items. Not to mention calculating bonuses from various "buffing" spells and then recalculating things when de-buffing occurs.

That is what makes me hesitant about Pathfinder - even if I keep to just the core book, it seems like there is even more complexity with the base classes and new powers added to them and more things for me to forget when running monsters and NPCs.

So, I have a few questions
1) Is there something like Heroforge for Pathfinder? I would not have survived 3.5 without it. If not, is something coming soon along those lines?
2) Besides consolidating some skills and creating Combat Maneuvers, what else has been done to make a DM's life easier?
3) What are some of the bigger positives that I can promote to my group?

Thanks

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I've found Hero Lab to be fantastic! Frequent updates, top-notch support through e-mails and forums. And if I'm not mistaken they're working on a Monster pack that will include everything in the bestiary.

The user created stuff has a bit of a learning curve, but again the HL staff are excellent.

ruemere

Adventurer
PCGen is a freeware open source application driven by fan effort. At this moment, its current stable version and Pathfinder dataset work ok (though not without certain quirks).
You need to be prepared to do some home work (for example, use your own path for PcGen instead of default one), however PcGen extensive docs and friendly support at mailing lists more than make up for that.

To get you started:
PCGen :: Overview

Get and install latest Java Runtime for your system:
java.com: Java + You

To get recent build:
PCGen :: Get Pcgen
- choose "Download PCGen 5.16.2 for Other Systems" and unpack it to the directory of your choice (my preference is something like "C:\RPG\PcGen")

To get latest version of Pathfinder dataset:
(same page as above)
"Download Pathfinder RPG dataset for PCGen 5.16.1"

Once unpacked, run proper executable and follow directions to install dataset.

Regards,
Ruemere

NewJeffCT

First Post
I've found Hero Lab to be fantastic! Frequent updates, top-notch support through e-mails and forums. And if I'm not mistaken they're working on a Monster pack that will include everything in the bestiary.

The user created stuff has a bit of a learning curve, but again the HL staff are excellent.

Thanks - I will look into Hero Lab.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases