Adventure: Long Arm Of Lauto, Obolus. (DM: CaBaNa, Judge: by covaithe - Page 14




What's on your mind?

  1. #131
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    covaithe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,971

    Ignore covaithe
    My communities:

    On how I plan to run combat
    You're all grouped together in initiative order, so you can act freely in whatever order you want within that block. I will usually resolve actions in the order they're posted, so if Rocco's attack is posted before Ibram's, I'll resolve Rocco's first, even if Ibram comes first in the initiative list. You can of course still explicitly delay or ready actions if you need to carefully coordinate the order of events. "I wait until Cyr has acted, then move to M12 and ready an attack for when Rocco moves into flanking position" is perfectly valid.

    I'm not going to go full-on Malenkirk style for this fight (where I tell you the monsters' defenses and HP and basic melee attacks, and have you resolve your hits and any OAs you provoke yourselves), at least not yet. I'm going to try doing what renau1g has been doing recently, and letting you "unlock" information about defenses and HP by figuring things out as the fight progresses. Might work, might not; we'll see.

    What else... Of course, please link your rolls in IC; I see you're already doing that. If you can use the notes field to explain any bonuses or penalties that you've included, that would be good. Likewise, if you attack multiple enemies in a single batch of rolls, please use the notes field to specify which roll is for which target.

    I'm not a particularly adversarial DM; if there's ambiguity in your stated actions, or if there's something obviously beneficial for your character that you forget to mention, I'll try to interpret your actions favorably for you. For example, if Rocco attacks an unmarked target, I'll assume he's marking them, even if he forgets to mention it. (But of course not if he specifically says he's not marking them.) If you move in such a way as to provoke an OA, then use Second Wind with your standard, I'll assume you meant to use Second Wind before moving, so that the +2 to defenses applies against the OA. You get the idea. If you're not sure how to describe the mechanics of what you want to do, feel free to explain it in plain english, and I'll do my best to interpret what you meant in game mechanics.

    On the other hand, I play the monsters smart and mean, with the best tactics I can come up with. Well, the intelligent monsters, at least. Dumb monsters are dumber... but you're not facing any of those right now.

    My games

    Check out Living 4th Edition, a community-run 4e D&D living world open to all. Now open for character and adventure submissions!

 

  • #132
    Kryath, the mighty dragonborn steps forward and points an outstretched fist towards the female in the bushes closest to him, trying to knock her out, but his ice ball instead strikes the ground well short.

    "Sssorry guyssss, sssometimesss I need a minute to...warm up" Kryath jokes, chuckling despite the situation

    ooc
    Move to S3
    Attack Myri with my Dragonfrost - 1d20+4=8, 1d8+8=9 but I miss


    stat block
    Kryath- Male Dragonborn Sorcerer 1
    Passive Perception: 9, Passive Insight: 9
    AC:16, Fort:14, Reflex:11, Will:16 -- Speed:6
    HP:26/26, Bloodied:13, Surge Value:8, Surges left:8/8
    Initiative +1
    Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used

    Powers: Dragonfrost, Burning Spray, Dragon's Breath, Ray of the Moon, Ice Javelins

  • #133
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)



    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Saint Martin
    Posts
    2,043

    Ignore MetaVoid
    Kryath, Silphyus, Aurak! There is someone in the trees near you. Be carefull!"

    Cyr quickly looks over the battlefield and decides he's definitely too far. Counting on more martial characters to catch up and come forward he dashes in front and from his hand three beams of bright light strike at closest opponents.

    He then looks over the battle again, using his new position to try and find hidden bandit.

    Actions

    Move: T6
    Standard: Hand of Radiance - Bandit 1(1d20+5=22); Myri(1d20+5=15); Issa (1d20+5=18)

    Memory of thousand lifetimes(1d6=5); Damage (1d4+5=9) - radiant

    Assuming 15 misses Myri, use memory of thousand lifetimes...otherwise use for Issa or not at all if all hit.


    Minor: Perception (1d20+10=18)


    Cyr Stats

    STATUS: none

    Initiative +7; Senses Passive Insight 20, Passive Perception 20
    HP 22/22, Bloodied 11, Surge Value 5, Surges 7/7
    AC 16; Fortitude 12, Reflex 14, Will 16
    (+1 TO ALL DEFENSES vs. BLOODIED ENEMIES)
    1 AP
    Saving Throws:
    Resist 5 radiant; Resist 5 necrotic
    Speed 5

    Vanguard's Lightning
    Hand of Radiance
    Rebuke Undead
    Preserver's Rebuke


    Blades of Astral Fires
    Second Wind
    Memory of Thousand Lifetimes


    Silent Malediction

    Last edited by MetaVoid; Tuesday, 2nd March, 2010 at 07:15 AM.

  • #134
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    modest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indiana, US
    Posts
    126

    Ignore modest
    Ibram howls in pain as he recovers from the mental onslaught of Myri. Ibram pulls the two crossbow bolts stuck in his chainmail and flings them to the ground. He grunts and begins to pant heavily. His face turns into a grimace of total concentration. He un-hooks the beaten, brown harp from his hip and plucks a series of beautiful, melodic notes. He sings loud and clear a rhyme he knows all too well.

    "Of golden tones so crisp and fair,
    to those who listen none despair,
    of life and wood,
    of steel and stone,
    I sing this song,
    To heal my bone.
    "


    Clearly, Ibram's thoughts of handling this peacefully have gone away as soon as they came. Not sure of where the next attack will come from, he holds his fullblade low and to the left, in a defensive position.






    Actions
    Ibram is going to use Majestic Word (minor) to heal 12HP (7 surge value + 5) and then take total defense. Power lets me slide one square so he'll move to U7.







    OOC
    I think I'm ok to do all this but if there's any discrepancy, I'm sure you'll let me know..

  • #135
    the peaceful
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    Neurotic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    5,061

    Ignore Neurotic
    Gaunt
    Rocco could use another majestic word (or even one you just did)...

    For Covaithe
    Unless explicitly stated, ANY attack marks the target


    Rocco moves forward, head clearing thanks to his inborn dwarven stubborness. It seems terrible pain was only in his mind and his body still functions perfectly. Coming close enough to Myri, he charges, swinging his axe high to avoid snagging the branches on the way. Unfortunately, it also means he didn't look low enough and his arm got pulled back just before landing a hit.

    Actions

    Minor: Second Wind healing 7hp and +2 to defenses TENT
    Move: to T8
    Standard: Charge Myri (1d20+7=9, 1d6+7=10) BAH!
    MARK MYRI

    Last edited by Neurotic; Tuesday, 2nd March, 2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Marking

  • #136
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    modest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indiana, US
    Posts
    126

    Ignore modest
    OOC
    Bah, I wasn't thinking clearly on that one Rocco, I should have healed ya..Aurak is still up though, and he can heal as well. Sorry, I was up kind of late when I posted but I will look more closely the next round.

  • #137
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaVoid View Post
    Kryath, Silphyus, Aurak! There is someone in the trees near you. Be carefull!"
    "Where? I don't see anyone?" the dragonborn calls out as he drops his longsword and pulls out one of his handful of javelins. With a mighty heave, the paladin throws the weapon at Myri, and despite the distance the throw is very accurate, although not very strong.

    Picking up his normal weapon, Aurak looks around, waiting for an enemy.

    Heal & move

    Unfortunately, I need to touch you to heal you and you're gone away
    Free: drop longsword
    Minor: draw javelin
    Standard: Ranged attack on Myri (long distance) 1d20 4=22, 1d6 4=5 so hits AC 22 for 5
    Move: Pick up longsword

  • #138
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    covaithe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,971

    Ignore covaithe
    My communities:

    ooc: Need an action for Silphyus.
    My games

    Check out Living 4th Edition, a community-run 4e D&D living world open to all. Now open for character and adventure submissions!

  • #139
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    covaithe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,971

    Ignore covaithe
    My communities:

    Round 2

    Kryath, Cyr, and Silphyus move forward out of the trees, calling down their various magics on their foes, with mixed results. Cyr manages to strike all of his targets, and one of the crossbow-wielding bandits falls with a cry, and lays still. The two shrouded females are made of sterner stuff, and withstand the pain.

    Ibram chants a healing tune, closing his wounds and carrying himself toward the foe. He holds his sword low, defensively, as he waits for the next onslaught.

    Rocco shrugs aside most of his pain, and lumbers forward into a charge. A tree branch fouls his blade at the last minute, but the nearer of the cloaked foes flinches away from his attack.

    Aurak gets into the act with a hurled javelin. The mighty throw somehow finds its target despite extreme range, punching its way through half a dozen trees en route. But the wound it deals is slight.

    The two shrouded females take the offensive now. The nearer pronounces a vile curse on Rocco, making his skin crawl in anticipation of pain to come. She twists, and disappears, fading back into view a few paces away, out of Rocco's reach. She points a crooked finger at the dwarf, and once again Rocco feels terrible torment wrack his mind. Blood courses freely from his nose and ears now.

    The other hooded figure moves forward out of the trees, cursing Ibram and leveling her finger, but the bard's focused mind resists the effect.

    The two remaining archers fire at Rocco. One of their bolts finds its target, but the dwarf is heavily armored against this kind of attack, and the pain is minor.

    The trees to the north rustle again, and this time everyone turns to look, just in time to see a hurled dagger winging its way toward Ibram. Caught off guard, the bard takes a heavy wound. The source of the dagger is a wiry humanoid figure, face cowled with close-wrapped dark cloth and armored in worn dark leathers. Several more daggers are strapped about his person, and he draws another of them out even as he darts forward into another clump of foliage. This patch is too sparse to hide him completely, though.

    ooc
    Kryath misses.

    Cyr moves forward. Hand of Radiance hits bandit 1 and drops him (minion). It hits Issa, and with Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes, hits Myri as well. 9 damage to those two. Perception check nets no new information.

    Ibram uses majestic word to heal himself 12, slides east, and takes total defense.

    Rocco uses second wind, then charges Myri, missing but marking her.

    Aurak drops his sword, draws and throws a javelin, hitting Myri for 5 depite both distance and concealment, and picks his sword up. I counted 4 squares of undergrowth between Aurak and Myri, which means only normal concealment. One more square would have been total concealment. Just something to keep in mind...

    Silphyus (NPCd) moves forward, curses Myri, and attacks with eldritch blast: 12 vs. Reflex misses.

    Myri curses Rocco, teleports to R16 using shadow jaunt, becoming insubstantial, and attacks again with spiteful glamor: 21 vs. Will hits for 9 damage. Rocco is bloodied.

    Issa moves forward out of the trees, curses Ibram, and attacks with spiteful glamor: 9 vs. Will misses.

    Both remaining bandits shoot at Rocco: one hit for 3 damage.

    Elalaran moves to K6 and throws a dagger at Ibram with Deft Strike: 21 vs. AC hits for 14 damage. Ibram is bloodied. He moves into a cluster of trees, gaining concealment, but is still visible to everyone.



    status and initiative


    • Myri 14 damage, marked by Rocco, cursed by Silphyus, insubstantial (tsnt)
    • Issa 9 damage
    • Elalaran unharmed
    • Bandit 1 dead
    • Bandit 2 unharmed
    • Bandit 3 unharmed
    • Ibram 15/30 HP, 10/11 surges, total defense, cursed by Issa
    • Rocco 11/31 HP, 11/12 surges, +2 def tsnt, bloodied, cursed by Myri
    • Silphyus 28/28 HP, 9/9 surges
    • Cyr 22/22 HP, 7/7 surges
    • Kryath 26/26 HP, 8/8 surges
    • Aurak 27/27 HP, 11/11 surges


    Resources Used:
    • Cyr: Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes
    • Ibram: Majestic Word x1
    • Myri: shadow jaunt



    map and terrain notes


    Squares that are more than half covered in vegetation are difficult and lightly obscured terrain. Entering such a square costs 2 squares of movement. Creatures in obscured terrain have concealment, and if there are five or more squares of obscured terrain between you and a target, that target has total concealment from you.
    My games

    Check out Living 4th Edition, a community-run 4e D&D living world open to all. Now open for character and adventure submissions!

  • #140
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)



    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Saint Martin
    Posts
    2,043

    Ignore MetaVoid
    "Rockslide, get adjacent to one of the witches! Everyone, group two of them together if you can! Aurak, get over here, leave that javelins, Rockslide needs help!"

    OOC: delay until after Rocco moves for encounter burst giving him +5 AC? seems fairly useless against warlocks, but won't be hit by archers...

    Everyone, should I move and target those archers?

    Neurotic, maybe to move toward Issa and behind so you get cover from the cabin?

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. [Adventure] A Chef's Request (DM:renau1g; judge: covaithe)
      By renau1g in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 1130
      Last Post: Wednesday, 30th November, 2011, 05:50 PM
    2. [Adventure] The Sibylline Idol (Judge covaithe)
      By Erekose13 in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 711
      Last Post: Saturday, 24th October, 2009, 04:54 PM
    3. The Long Arm of Lauto:Broken Wards (DM:Ukingsken)
      By ukingsken in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 281
      Last Post: Thursday, 17th September, 2009, 06:38 AM
    4. The Long Arm of Lauto 1: Algarezh Hoofchew
      By covaithe in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 440
      Last Post: Saturday, 18th April, 2009, 07:44 AM
    5. The Necromancer's Skull (Judge - covaithe)
      By garyh in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 446
      Last Post: Sunday, 1st February, 2009, 03:39 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •