Adventure: Food of the Gods (DM: ryryguy, Judge: renau1g)

BenBrown

First Post
I asked us to gather since we are currently going on our first adventure together and who knows what manner of beastie we’ll find. Yes, we all heard a little bit when we described ourselves to that snotling, I think a much better discussion should be had since our lives will depend on each other.

I can strike pretty hard with my maul, but I can also weaken the initial blow, and unleash a thunderclap that can hit a few people close the my target. I am pretty easy to strike, but being one with the mountain, I can shrug off hits that would pierce lesser men… Looking around at Azryah and Kaeysari, or women. Given the armor we wear, I would think Kaeysari and Papolstaanos would run point, with Azryah and Jynxx covering mid. I’ll take rearguard since I’m probably the least sneaky or persuasive member of the group.

His ideas done, he looks to the group for their ideas regarding his plans, or offering some of their own. It may occur to some, that outside of stories with a set path, discussing battle and tactics seems to be where Chaku is most comfortable talking.

"We're really too small a group to have a true rear guard," Kaeysari says. "If we have good information, we can expect to meet most threats from the front, most of the time. We should still be prepared for flank and rear attacks, but if everyone's close up, we should be able to shift in response pretty quickly. I'd be glad to take point, although I'm not very fast in this armor, and hardly stealthy. Papolstaanas may be better for that.

"If we do meet the enemy head-on--assuming there's an enemy to meet--we can use classic combined-arms tactics on a smaller scale. Jynxx has a bow, and if anyone else has any ranged attacks, they should be in the back as artillery. I'll be front and center, in the infantry role. I engage the enemy and hold them down. Chaku can come in from the flanks as a shock troop, sort of in a cavalry role. Hit them hard--then back off before they have a chance to hit back.

"None of us have seen the others fight, so we'll probably be a little uncoordinated at first, but as long as we get a good idea of what each other can do we'll be fine. Chaku can hit hard and affect some of the enemies other than his own target. I can hit them through their armor, and mess up enemies even if I don't draw blood. I can also sweep my weapon and catch more than one at once. Mostly I can stop them from moving. There are a few other tricks I know, but I wouldn't absolutely rely on them. I've also got good solid armor, and can last a while."

"Keep in mind that there is to be a guide of some sort with us. Presumably he would be leading in truth."

"Not necessarily. You can be an effective guide without being in the vanguard. We'll be in a fairly tight cluster anyway, not strung out over a mile like a full regiment on march."

Chaku erupts in a huge belly laugh as the chef compares the party to a pie. You are correct in a manner of speaking, myself and those with tougher armor would be the protective crust to keep the soft berries, as he glances toward Jynxx from being squished prematurely.

"Right," Kaeysari tells the chef. "You were looking at it backwards. Think of the crust as being towards the enemy." Did I just say that?

Yes, I hail from the northern area of Ea, Surtyr to be specific. It's nice to meet someone who has heard of it. Funny you mentioned the fish, my favorite dish was Blue-tailed spinefish flavored with a bit of local iceberries with a side of salted meat. The salty sweet flavor after a long day on the tundra was near paradise.

"I've been eating mostly army chow. It's nourishing, but..." Kaeysari trails off, obviously not enthused by the memory.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Jynxx yawns during the discussion of tactics. It was more of a feint though, as he was actually paying close attention to everyone's suggestions. Jynxx discovered long ago that you can tell more about a person when the speak, than in a year of observing.

Jynxx's jaw drops when he hears a familiar voice call for him. "Aw crap. I knew that freaking priest saw me." He stands, offers a slight bow and dismisses himself. "Chaku, would you do me a small favor? It should be quite funny."

[sblock=Chaku]

If you say yes...

Jynxx explains his idea to Chaku on the way topside. "Wait a minute or so after I go up, then come storming the deck. Be as hostile as possible... without smashing anyone. Demand that I go back to work below deck, mention that slaves are not to be talking with passengers of the vessel. If you do well... things should be very fun."[/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
Papolstaanas has a feeling that this is an important discussion, so he props himself up and blearily attempts to follow Kaeysari's disquisition on tactics, but he is soon blinking heavily and nodding along at what he hopes are the right places. "I... guess I should be in front," he mumbles, finding it difficult to fit the still-distant prospect of actual combat into his mind. "In the, the thing of... the thing... the thick of thinks. Of things. I'm... um... good at defense, I guess... At least, that was what my, my swordmaster always said... that I'm tougher than... than I look. Well, he didn't really say it so much. I could sort, sort of hear him mutter under his breath, though, things like 'Tough little bugger!' during the head-beating game and... Oh, I'm sorry, um, about the language," he says to Azryah.

Last edited:

Mezegis

First Post
Chaku starts to respond to Jynxx, then tilts his head to one side as if attempting to listen to something far away. Slowly a grin forms on his face. I think I can do that, he replies.

[sblock=Jynxx-telepathy]Permission to toss you around like a ragdoll without really hurting you?[/sblock]

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
[sblock=Chaku] "Ha! We will have to see if she buys it at all first. I'd rather not be scraped up if she doesn't believe you right away. She's... use to my tricks."[/sblock]

Mezegis

First Post
[sblock=Jynxx]You should probably rough yourself up a bit first, if you look all prim and proper, that will deffinatly ruin the trick.[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]This ought to be interesting! Let's wait to go to the next scene until after Jynxx's plan plays out.

Everybody seems to be having fun (I know I am!), but I also want to get to the action! I'll try to get a few posts saved and ready so that we can push along quickly as soon as we're ready.[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
Chaku erupts in a huge belly laugh as the chef compares the party to a pie. You are correct in a manner of speaking, myself and those with tougher armor would be the protective crust to keep the soft berries, as he glances toward Jynxx from being squished prematurely.

Castofle grins back at the goliath. "Yeah, it's best if the berries don't pop until they're in your mouth. Much more fun texture!"

Yes, I hail from the northern area of Ea, Surtyr to be specific. It's nice to meet someone who has heard of it. Funny you mentioned the fish, my favorite dish was Blue-tailed spinefish flavored with a bit of local iceberries with a side of salted meat. The salty sweet flavor after a long day on the tundra was near paradise.

"Ohh, fresh iceberries?" the chef says. "I'm jealous! I've only ever had dried. Never with spinefish, that's good! Fresh would be better I'm sure, but still worth a try with the dried kind, in a sauce." He reaches into the side pocket of his colorful coat and fishes out a small bound book, a quill, and an inkstone. "With some pork belly on the side, right, and garlic probably..." He scribbles notes in the book.

"Right," Kaeysari tells the chef. "You were looking at it backwards. Think of the crust as being towards the enemy." Did I just say that?

"Got it," Castofle says. "Not a tart. Top-crust. Or maybe two-crust."

"I've been eating mostly army chow. It's nourishing, but..." Kaeysari trails off, obviously not enthused by the memory.

"Huh. Imperial army, I'm guessing? Imperial cuisine goes pretty light on the spice. It's so amazingly well balanced at its best, but at its worst..." Castofle shudders. "I've never had any army food, from any army. But what about that saying, 'An army travels on its stomach'? Or is that not referring to eating? Does it refer to crawling around in the mud or something?"

BenBrown

First Post
"Huh. Imperial army, I'm guessing? Imperial cuisine goes pretty light on the spice. It's so amazingly well balanced at its best, but at its worst..." Castofle shudders. "I've never had any army food, from any army. But what about that saying, 'An army travels on its stomach'? Or is that not referring to eating? Does it refer to crawling around in the mud or something?"

Kaeysari chuckles "A bit of both, if you ask the troops. Really it means that if you're going to move an army of a hundred thousand across a country, you have to feed them somehow. You can cart it in, or forage from the locals, but you've got to feed them. The food has to be good enough to keep them healthy, but the taste only has to keep them from mutiny."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases