D&D 4th Edition Adventure: Food of the Gods (DM: ryryguy, Judge: renau1g) - Page 13




+ Log in or register to post
Page 13 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 63 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 1007
  1. #121
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    ryryguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,860

    Ignore ryryguy

    Approaching the Isle

    ooc
    Ok, I have a long descriptive bit that I'm going to break up into several posts, so you aren't confronted with a massive wall of text.

    I'm trying to moving things forward a bit here, but you can post reactions, questions to NPCs, any skill checks you want to make along the way.

    My narrative assumes that the party is sort of passive through this section, and I don't think it's too likely that there's a lot you'd want to do. But if there is something, you can definitely do it. I.e. if you want to jump in the water and swim rather than waiting for the ship to dock, that's fine. I will retcon these posts in that case.


    The voyage to the Isle takes just over two hours, most of that time spent sailing north up the length of Daunton. Crossing the channel from Daunton to the Isle takes only about a half hour.

    The Bluebell Lady passes several other ships en route. One, encountered just miles away from the shore of the Isle, is an impressive Imperial galleon bound away from Daunton, probably for Nova Imperium on the island of Mykonos. Sunlight gleams off bright brass shields hung on the railings all the way around the huge ship. Soon after, the Bluebell Lady turns east to skirt the southern edge of the Isle. The Captain sends a sailor down to fetch anyone below decks who wants to watch as the ship comes in.

    The coast is still fairly far away, but the keen-eyed can make out what looks like a scrub forest covered with a light dusting of snow. The elevation of the shoreline rises quickly until the surface is out of view and all that can be seen are steep cliffs. As the ship swings around to follow the curving coastline around to the north, the cliffs tower ever higher.

    Then, the cliffs suddenly give way to open water - a quarter-mile-wide inlet, faced by cliffs of similar height on the opposite side. What appears to be a low-lying cloud covering the summit of each cliff. Above the southern one, the cloud has a faint but distinct grayish hue. The more distant northern cloud has a golden tinge.

    Nature DC 15 (passive)
    Based on the local conditions - wind, temperature, and geography - you think the the clouds are not a natural weather phenomenon.

    Perception DC 25 (active)
    Looking up, you think you see a streak of light pass between the clouds. As you continue to watch, you see a few more. They are very thin and come and go quickly, like shooting stars. They are grey or gold and pass back and forth in both directions.


    A toothless old sailor chuckles. "Them's th' henges up there. Th' gates. I seen the gold one once, not long after it first opened up to th' Valley o' Bone..." He points towards the northern cloud.
    L4W characters: Ingot, Hergunna
    LEB characters: Lady Roswyn d'Sivis, Harressh

 

  • #122
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    ryryguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,860

    Ignore ryryguy

    Port of Call: Fulcrum

    The Bluebell Lady clears the tip of the headland, revealing a wide, round bay dotted with distant ships sails. Two ships are quite close - galleys, small but fast warships, flying the flag of Daunton. They are a few hundred yards off the inner cliff of the southern "horn".

    Captain Jardin shouts a few orders and the sailors strike two of the sails, leaving only one flying. The caravel coasts towards a round islet located in almost the exact center of the bay. About a dozen ships are docked there on a ring of wharves that encircles the islet. A small stone fort, also flying Daunton colors, stands on the islet's highest point. There are about a half dozen other buildings of wood and stone.

    Castofle bounds out on the deck, his duffle once again jangling on his back, and looks out from a rail. "I always like visiting here," he says. "Because of the food and spice markets, yes, but also, it's just..." He makes a circular gesture, indicating the whole of the bay, the islet the cliffs. "It's sort of breathtaking."

    The Bluebell Lady sails about a third of the way around the islet, pulling up at a wharf next to another Silverships Transit vessel. Captain Jardin addresses you. "Well, here we are. Welcome to Fulcrum."

    The ship's berth presents a good view of the interior side of the bay and shore of the Isle maybe a mile and a half away. A cluster of buildings is visible on or just back from the coastline; though it's too far to make out details, there are definitely more structures there than on Fulcrum proper. Between the ship and the shore, the water is a light blue color, with streaks of white and grey visible below the surface. Scattered across the water's surface are exposed tips of partially submerged rocks. A few of them might be large enough to be considered tiny islets themselves, though they are all barren. There are also a handful of small boats, skiffs and barges and canoes, bobbing around the area.

    Nature DC 12 (passive)
    Judging from the visible rocks and the color of the water, the bay on this side of Fulcrum is quite shallow and clearly impossible for larger vessels to navigate. The tide is in now (although going out); when it's low, even small craft may not have an easy time of things.
    Nature DC 17 (active)
    You suspect that Fulcrum may be a tidal island, with a natural causeway that connects it to the mainland at low tide, but covered now at high tide.


    The captain notices a few of the adventurers scanning the scene. "They call that 'Fulcrum-shore'," he says, indicating the buildings on the main Isle. "And this is 'Fulcrum-sea'. Or they're just both 'Fulcrum'."
    L4W characters: Ingot, Hergunna
    LEB characters: Lady Roswyn d'Sivis, Harressh

  • #123
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    ryryguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,860

    Ignore ryryguy

    The Factor

    Captain Jardin turns to the chef. "Castofle, you're goin' to see Hedra's factor, right? Why don't you take this crew over there with ya, they need to talk to him too."

    Castofle nods. "Okay! Follow me!" He bounds down the gangplank onto the wharf and heads towards one of the stone buildings nearby.

    // Assuming at least a couple PC's go with Castofle.

    Next to the front door is another "Silverships Transit" sign, just like the one at Hedra's office in Daunton, plus a couple of other signs with the names of other businesses. Castofle pushes open the door and walks in. The interior is divided into a few private offices, all connected by a cross-shaped hallway.

    Inside one of the private offices, the chef greets a dour-looking gnome whom he calls "Yammy."

    "You lot must be the ones Hedra hired to go out to the plantation," he says. "Got a guide waiting for you at Fulcrum-shore. Low tide's in a few hours, if you don't want to wait we've got a bargeman under contract that can take you now. Either way, when you get to Fulcrum-shore just ask for a kid named Jaronel. He should be at the Two Clouds Trading Post, or someplace nearby."

    // OOC: Time now is about eleven o'clock.

    Party Decision
    Here's a party decision point. In a situation like this, once a majority of the PCs have agreed on a preferred course of action, I will move things along based on that choice. If waiting on people to post, I may go with the majority of those who have posted.

    Note, you can indicate your choice with in-character dialog, which is probably the best way. It's not a formal poll.
    L4W characters: Ingot, Hergunna
    LEB characters: Lady Roswyn d'Sivis, Harressh

  • #124
    perception check
    1d20+9=10 - apparently not feeling perceptive today.


    Nature check from Fulcrum post
    1d20+4=24 - Nature, on the other hand, is doing great. Must be having some sort of memory after all Castofle's food talk. :P


    When the captain calls people up on deck, Azryah assembles herself. She puts her cloak back on, careful not to hit anyone with it, hitches her backpack up onto her shoulders, and adjusts her greatsword so that it is both comfortable and accessible. Then she puts up her hood and proceeds up on deck.

    She watches the water, mostly, as the ship docks. Taking interest in the waves and wake as they pull in. She doesn't look up until they've stopped.


    "Thank you for your assistance, Captain," she says when he finishes talking to Castofle.

    After which, she follows Castofle off the ship and into the other Silverships Transit building. After the gnome speaks, she addresses the party.

    "I think it's probably best to take the barge if it's faster, don't you? We are on a deadline, afterall; and although we have some time, best not to waste any in case we do run into any trouble because if trouble comes there's no telling what, or how long, it will take to deal with it."


  • #125
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Mewness's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Alameda
    Posts
    1,898

    Ignore Mewness
    Papolstaanas falls asleep as the discussion continues, but after a couple of hours, he is up again, much refreshed.

    Back on the deck, he becomes transfixed by the landscape, admiring it in silence as the Bluebell Lady approaches its destination.

    Quote Originally Posted by ryryguy View Post
    Captain Jardin turns to the chef. "Castofle, you're goin' to see Hedra's factor, right? Why don't you take this crew over there with ya, they need to talk to him too."

    Castofle nods. "Okay! Follow me!" He bounds down the gangplank onto the wharf and heads towards one of the stone buildings nearby.
    Papolstaanas nods at this, and after scrambling back down to get his gear, he follows Castofle.

    failed rolls
    Perception then Nature: 1d20+6=19 1d20+6=8
    Last edited by Mewness; Thursday, 28th January, 2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: forgot my failed rolls
    Papolstaanas (babbling kobold); Pharodeys (living statue); Scarmiglione (singing kenku)

  • #126
    Registered User
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

    OnlytheStrong's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma... land of wheat fields
    Posts
    2,787

    Ignore OnlytheStrong
    Jynxx stares up at the sky... somewhat confused by what he sees. Letting it pass by without a word, he moves with the group. Aryzah's vote to use the barge is met by a nod of the head, "Excuse me... Yammy was it? I was wondering if you know what the lights are in your sky. Grey or gold I believe... passing in different directions. Can you enlighten me as to what these are?"

    Perception Check


    1d20+10=27

    So.... Charm is stuck in a different town. Which is why she can't post. She did tell me to tell you all that she is sorry. Believe me when I tell ya... she's upset about it lol. I'm tired of telling her each post Goober.

  • #127
    As the captain calls the party to the deck, Chaku slides to the back, knowing he can see over everyone. He listens quietly to the conversation, and his eyes flicker over everything, though in some cases, not really seeing all there is to be seen. He notes the tidal patterns, intrigued about how the city has adapted to the rise and fall.

    He follows Castofle to the transit office, and nods in response to the gnomes statement. I agree with Azryah, we only have a few days to retrieve the goods and return to Hedra, I see no reason to waste a few hours of time while the tides change.

    Nature check
    I didn't even bother with the perception since I can't make it on a 20. Nature one is 1d20+10=13 sigh, I like waves!
    L4W: Chaku- Barbarian LEB: Ryda- Ranger, Thalin- Bard

  • #128
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    BenBrown's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    That ol' Bay Area
    Posts
    1,395

    Ignore BenBrown
    skill rolls
    Nature: 1d20+3=13, Perception: 1d20+8=16 Nothing unusual to see here.


    Kaeysari turns to the gnome and asks "What would be the reason for waiting? Is it so we can walk? We've been on a ship for half the day now. Another half hour afloat shouldn't hurt us."
    L4E characters: Fenwick Orc Barbarian 9, Kaeysari Shifter Fighter 7, The Black Fox Bard 4

  • #129
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    ryryguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,860

    Ignore ryryguy
    ooc
    A number of grenades are about to explode today at work. I am super busy throwing myself on top of them.

    I will try to get an update in later this evening.
    L4W characters: Ingot, Hergunna
    LEB characters: Lady Roswyn d'Sivis, Harressh

  • #130
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    ryryguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,860

    Ignore ryryguy
    // Grenades mostly smothered.

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlytheStrong View Post
    "Excuse me... Yammy was it? I was wondering if you know what the lights are in your sky. Grey or gold I believe... passing in different directions. Can you enlighten me as to what these are?"
    The gnome gives Jynxx a blank look. "Lights?" he says. "You been drinking Jardin's special rum?"

    Jynxx
    If it wasn't clear... you only saw the lights between the clouds at the inlet. There aren't any in the sky over Fulcrum. But even if you mention where you saw them, the gnome still doesn't know about them.


    Quote Originally Posted by BenBrown View Post
    Kaeysari turns to the gnome and asks "What would be the reason for waiting? Is it so we can walk? We've been on a ship for half the day now. Another half hour afloat shouldn't hurt us."
    "Well, walking's free, and the barge costs money," the gnome answers. "Though it won't be coming out of your pocket, so I suppose you won't care," he adds with a slight frown.

    Castofle pipes up, "If you wait, you could see the sights here on the island! Um, not that there's much to see... a tavern, a couple of temples, lots of docks. Hmm, yeah, probably not worth it. As for me, I have to talk to Yammy here about some stuff, so I won't be heading over right away."
    L4W characters: Ingot, Hergunna
    LEB characters: Lady Roswyn d'Sivis, Harressh

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 13 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 63 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. [Adventure] Rhapsody Part 2 (Judge: renau1g)
      By KarinsDad in forum Living Eberron
      Replies: 616
      Last Post: Thursday, 17th January, 2013, 02:27 AM
    2. [Adventure] Kingmaker (DM:renau1g; judge: garyh)
      By renau1g in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 748
      Last Post: Thursday, 20th October, 2011, 01:23 PM
    3. [Adventure] Marna is Missing (DM: pacdidj, Judge: renau1g)
      By pacdidj in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 1082
      Last Post: Friday, 12th November, 2010, 08:58 PM
    4. [Adventure] The Paper Chase (Judge: renau1g)
      By Antithetist in forum Living Eberron
      Replies: 688
      Last Post: Sunday, 7th November, 2010, 03:35 PM
    5. [Adventure] The Second Day of Mourning (Judge: renau1g)
      By Kalidrev in forum Living Eberron
      Replies: 1003
      Last Post: Thursday, 4th March, 2010, 05:54 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •