D&D 4th Edition Adventure: Food of the Gods (DM: ryryguy, Judge: renau1g) - Page 17




+ Log in or register to post
Page 17 of 101 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 67 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 1007
  1. #161
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    ryryguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,860

    Ignore ryryguy
    "Get to the farm, take two, maybe t'ree hours. Ya, prob'ly more like two since you got me to guide you!"

    After Jynxx and Azryah say they want to leave right away, Jaronel claps his hands. "Oh-kay! Then we go now! Oh ya, first get the animals. Then we go!" He trots over towards a livery yard a few dozen yards away, motioning for you to follow. In just a minute or two he has gotten two pack mules from the yard, obviously a pre-arranged transaction.

    Jaronel takes the harnesses of the beast, seeming to handle them with some experience. "Ya, we going!" He leads mules and adventurers alike to an open gate in the palisade's northern wall. A half dozen guards in Daunton colors watch you pass through. They appear quite alert for gate guards, but do not interfere with your passage.

    A dirt road leads north from the gate across a grassy field, entering a forest about a quarter mile away. Many stumps are visible at the forest's edge and as the travelers come to the trees, the sound of unseen lumberjacks felling more can be heard a bit deeper off the road.

    Jaronel keeps up a steady stream of chatter. He wants to impress on his charges how much he loves Daunton and people from Daunton. Despite never having had the privilege of going there himself, he's learned the language and all about it at a school somewhere near Fulcrum that is run by a Dauntonian priestess. He asks many questions about Daunton's people, history, fashions, legends, gods, ships, and bars.

    When it becomes clear that none of the travelers actually are from Daunton or have spent a lot of time there, he switches to questions about any places that they do mention being from or having visited. It seems that he doesn't much distinguish among these locations. Bacarte, the Imperium, Ea... these are all just far-flung parts of Daunton in his eyes. He also seems pretty oblivious to the somewhat unusual racial mixture of the group. Perhaps he thinks it's typical.

    He does give information and opinions about other things if asked (or unprompted).

    on the Valley of Bone: "Beautiful place, I love it t'ere, but tough for me, tough for my family. Lots of peoples, cities of gold, terrible dead kings, ya, t'at stuff is all true!"

    on the Kingdom of Jade: "I don't trust t'em dragon mens. They can be so mean! But t'ey do make some beautiful t'ings. I seen some beautiful stuff from there coming t'rough Fulcrum. And t'ey do keep t'ere word, ya. But I don't trust 'em." (The obvious contradiction is lost on him.)

    on zocalti: "Eh, I like to drink it oh-kay. Not bad. But very expensive, ya? If I pay so much, I'd rat'er get wine from Daunton! Great wine from Daunton! You ever see any places t'ey make the wine t'ere? What are t'ey like?"

    on the Isle's gates: "I been t'rough the golden gate a few times. When I first came here and a few times back to visit. It's very, ah, spooky! Ya, spooky! All covered in mist, everyt'ing all stay the same around it no matter what you do. You feel it when you close. Very old, very great power, you feel it in your bones."

    on Hedra Silverships: "Oh ya, Miz Hedra, she is a great lady! I met her one time, she came to visit here. Very smart, very beautiful! She is rich, ya? Great lady!"

    on Krassus and the farm: "I running errands back and forth a lot, bringing out tools, supplies, t'ings like t'at. Sometimes I worked on the zocalti too for a little while. Seems like crop was looking good, ya! Should be good for Miz Hedra, she gonna make a lot of money and be even more rich, ya! Krassus, he's a good boss. Treats the workers fair, good pay. But real serious, he don't like to joke or talk to me much. I t'ink he from same place as you maybe?" He points at Kaeysari. "He talks like you anyway. But he doesn't got hair like you!" He bursts into laughter.

    About an hour into the journey, the temperature and humidity begin to rise noticeably. The vegetation and animal calls also start to change. More tropical plants start replacing the temperate ones. Bird calls start to increase in frequency. A pack of small monkeys flash past, swinging and jumping through the trees.

    "We still pretty far from t'at golden gate. But it's starting to get more like the Valley now, ya? See, t'at gate is very strong. A lot of power!"
    L4W characters: Ingot, Hergunna
    LEB characters: Lady Roswyn d'Sivis, Harressh

 

  • #162
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Mewness's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Alameda
    Posts
    1,898

    Ignore Mewness
    Papolstaanas is happy to talk about Daunton (although he's from somewhere else, he has recently been on a sightseeing tour, so he cheerfully chatters about all the stuff he saw, and indulges wild speculations about all of it). He is also curious about the Valley of Bone, and at this moment it occurs to him for the first time that he needs some way of referring to its people other than boners. He asks Jaronel, "What do the people of from the Valley of Bone call themselves?"
    Papolstaanas (babbling kobold); Pharodeys (living statue); Scarmiglione (singing kenku)

  • #163
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    BenBrown's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    That ol' Bay Area
    Posts
    1,395

    Ignore BenBrown
    Quote Originally Posted by ryryguy View Post
    "Eh, I like to drink it oh-kay. Not bad. But very expensive, ya? If I pay so much, I'd rat'er get wine from Daunton! Great wine from Daunton! You ever see any places t'ey make the wine t'ere? What are t'ey like?"
    "Um... I've never seen the winemaking process," says Kaeysari, "but I've passed by many vineyards. Long rows of grape vines growing up around posts and trellises. They're quite beautiful."


    Quote Originally Posted by ryryguy View Post
    "I been t'rough the golden gate a few times. When I first came here and a few times back to visit. It's very, ah, spooky! Ya, spooky! All covered in mist, everyt'ing all stay the same around it no matter what you do. You feel it when you close. Very old, very great power, you feel it in your bones."
    "I've been through gates before, but the Imperial gates are very controlled, and only slightly mystical. I think these are older."

    Quote Originally Posted by ryryguy View Post
    "Krassus, he's a good boss. Treats the workers fair, good pay. But real serious, he don't like to joke or talk to me much. I t'ink he from same place as you maybe?"
    "Krassus does sound like it could be an Imperial name. Is he human?" Kaeysari sounds a little nervous. After years of dealing with them, she's still intimidated by the Imperial nobility.
    L4E characters: Fenwick Orc Barbarian 9, Kaeysari Shifter Fighter 7, The Black Fox Bard 4

  • #164
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    ryryguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,860

    Ignore ryryguy
    // OOC: I will respond to your posts, just wanted to finish up some info about the journey.

    The road continues through increasingly dense jungle. It's not much of a road, but it is well marked with stone columns and wooden posts that are painted with glyphs of Magari origin. It would have been easy to make it without a guide, so far at least. A few travelers pass in the opposite direction, mostly small groups of a half-dozen or less, Magari from the looks of them, though one group is made up of humans and dragonborn that are obviously from the Valley of Jade, the humans wiping copious sweat from their brows.

    The road leads past a couple of smaller side roads, which Jaronel ignores. At the second crossroads, an area of jungle has been cleared away (burned, by the looks of it). In the resulting empty space a terraced pyramid has been built from rough stones. It is short, only about twelve feet high, with four steps. There are are depressions carved into the lower steps, many of which contain offerings: beads, flowers, handfuls of copper coins. Some hold woven baskets which, judging from the odor, contain gently rotting fruits and grains. These show some signs of gnawing and chewing around the edges; one has split open, and even now some tiny squirrel-like animals are chomping on plum-sized red fruits that have spilled out. Another depression contains a small number of zocalti beans, and yet another holds a cheap steel dagger clearly of Dauntonian make.

    A round symbol is carved into the faces of the lower steps, repeating all the way around.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	croc_09.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	42829

    On the face of the top step is a single, larger carved symbol, brightly painted, of a reptilian or perhaps draconic creature.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cipactli.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	42830

    Religion DC 15 (active)
    Both symbols represent Cipactonal, a Magari god also called "The First Man". In Magari myth he is a powerful sorceror and benefactor of mortals, bringing them the first corn. Allarian scholars believe he is an aspect or parallel version of Merkari.

    Religion DC 20 (active, same roll)
    He is also an important figure in the mystical Magari calendar, and both these symbols are also calendar symbols.


    Azryah
    You feel a gentle pull from the roadside pyramid. It is oddly familiar but simultaneously unfamiliar. It's definitely similar to the touch of Merkari you have often experienced at his temples or felt flowing through you when using your powers. But there is a different flavor to it, a dash of exotic spiritual spice. You conclude that the deity this temple is dedicated to is either an aspect of Merkari or else his close ally.
    L4W characters: Ingot, Hergunna
    LEB characters: Lady Roswyn d'Sivis, Harressh

  • #165
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    ryryguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,860

    Ignore ryryguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewness View Post
    Papolstaanas is happy to talk about Daunton (although he's from somewhere else, he has recently been on a sightseeing tour, so he cheerfully chatters about all the stuff he saw, and indulges wild speculations about all of it). He is also curious about the Valley of Bone, and at this moment it occurs to him for the first time that he needs some way of referring to its people other than boners. He asks Jaronel, "What do the people of from the Valley of Bone call themselves?"
    Jaronel is fascinated by Papolstaanas' account of his sightseeing tour, and asks to hear it several times. The boy seems to be trying to memorize it so he can recreate the tour if he should ever make it to Daunton.

    In response to the question, Jaronel says, "'Magari'. T'at's what we call our language and land and peoples. In Allarian people call us 'Bonites'."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBrown View Post
    "Krassus does sound like it could be an Imperial name. Is he human?"
    "Yah, he's human like me," Jaronel says. "But less hair t'an me too. He's ah, ah, chrome dome! Ya, chrome dome!" He laughs, obviously pleased to have remembered the Allarian slang term.
    L4W characters: Ingot, Hergunna
    LEB characters: Lady Roswyn d'Sivis, Harressh

  • #166
    Chaku remains quiet for most of the trip, listening to Jaronel and Papolstaanas chatter on about the wonders of Daunton. He busies himself with noting the local scenery, analyzing the lay of the land, and trying to commit their path to memory. As Jaronel comments about Krassus being bald, Chaku pipes up, Is there something wrong with having no hair?

    Chaku's mind drifts off again as he continues to be amazed at the landscape he is travelling, a far cry from the frozen tundra of his homeland.

    Religion
    1d20-1=2 Ooooooo, pretty pictures!
    L4W: Chaku- Barbarian LEB: Ryda- Ranger, Thalin- Bard

  • #167
    Azryah mostly walks in silence, trying more to take in what the guide is saying and tuck any information away for future reference. She is interested in anything he can tell her about zocalti or Krassus, and listens most intently when he answers questions about these subjects.

    "It's good to hear that the crop is doing well. Hedra will be most pleased with that, and I'm sure Castofle will as well since that means he'll have more to choose from. Are there a lot of others like you who come and go from the farm frequently, or do most of the workers live out there?"

    As they pass the pyramid thing, she stares at it in concentration. She does not ask any questions about it, but still isn't quite sure what to make of it. More that she tucks away for later investigation, since it isn't immediately relevant to their task.

    religious what?
    1d20+10=14 glad to be getting all this major fail out of my system now.


  • #168
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    ryryguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,860

    Ignore ryryguy
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLaw View Post
    "Are there a lot of others like you who come and go from the farm frequently, or do most of the workers live out there?"
    "Nah, not so many. Only a few workers stay t'ere with Krassus all the time. Others come out from Faraldrumi - t'at's the Magari village near the gate. T'ey don't come every day, just if there's more work. Like at harvest time. When t'ey come, maybe t'ey sleep t'ere, maybe walk back to Faraldrumi, I don't know. Oh ya, a few warriors stay there with Krassus too, just to keep him safe. Magari warriors from Faraldrumi."
    L4W characters: Ingot, Hergunna
    LEB characters: Lady Roswyn d'Sivis, Harressh

  • #169
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    ryryguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,860

    Ignore ryryguy
    Just over two hours since leaving Fulcrum, the road is crossed by a wide, slow-moving river. A wooden bridge suspended by ropes provides a way over. The river is brown and silty-looking. Bright insects flit and buzz floating vegetation.

    A few minutes past the bridge, the road reaches another side track. This time, Jaronel motions everyone to leave the road and take the side path. He nods towards the continuation of the road and says, "That way takes you to Faraldrumi. In Allarian you would say maybe... 'New Hill'. Magari village."

    Chaku
    When Jaronel translates "Faraldrumi", something clicks into place. In the dwarven tongue as spoken in Ea, "New Hill" would be "Varadrum". It seems that Magari and Dwarven are related languages. You think you may be able to understand Magari speech, bits and pieces of it anyway.

    ooc
    Yeah, in fact I had totally forgetten about this until rereading the wiki today... LEW:Language - ENWiki (and actually I just added that bit about the alphabets. ) Glad I happened to be reading that. Your understanding will be somewhat limited, especially if the Magari speaker isn't going slowly, trying to meet you halfway. But I'll be posting semi-mangled blocks of Dwarven representing things said in Magari.


    Down the side trail, the jungle is quite thick with undergrowth on either side, alive with cries and calls of bird and beast. The variety of plant life on display is bewildering, with small trees, ferns, mosses, lianas, mosses, shrubs and vines. It's hot and humid. Those wearing medium or heavy armor are starting to feel the heat a bit, but it's bearable so far.

    Jaronel is earning his pay now, as the poorly marked track is often totally obscured by new growth. He seems much more alert to his surroundings now. His stream of chatter slows to a trickle. He leads the group down a game trail to detour around a dark bog, and finds a shortcut down a stream avoiding the need to go up a hill.

    Some of the group are breathing a bit heavily as you reach the edge of a gentle, fern-colored downslope. "Almost t'ere!" Jaronel says proudly. "Just down here is the farm! Ohh-kayy!"

    Perception DC 15 (passive)
    There is a faint odor of smoke coming from down the slope ahead. The vegetation is still too thick to really see much.
    L4W characters: Ingot, Hergunna
    LEB characters: Lady Roswyn d'Sivis, Harressh

  • #170
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Mewness's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Alameda
    Posts
    1,898

    Ignore Mewness
    I agree that religion exists
    Religion check: 1d20=10


    Papolstaanas sniffs the air as they reach the downslope. "Anyone else smell smoke?"
    Papolstaanas (babbling kobold); Pharodeys (living statue); Scarmiglione (singing kenku)

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 17 of 101 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 67 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. [Adventure] Rhapsody Part 2 (Judge: renau1g)
      By KarinsDad in forum Living Eberron
      Replies: 616
      Last Post: Thursday, 17th January, 2013, 02:27 AM
    2. [Adventure] Kingmaker (DM:renau1g; judge: garyh)
      By renau1g in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 748
      Last Post: Thursday, 20th October, 2011, 01:23 PM
    3. [Adventure] Marna is Missing (DM: pacdidj, Judge: renau1g)
      By pacdidj in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 1082
      Last Post: Friday, 12th November, 2010, 08:58 PM
    4. [Adventure] The Paper Chase (Judge: renau1g)
      By Antithetist in forum Living Eberron
      Replies: 688
      Last Post: Sunday, 7th November, 2010, 03:35 PM
    5. [Adventure] The Second Day of Mourning (Judge: renau1g)
      By Kalidrev in forum Living Eberron
      Replies: 1003
      Last Post: Thursday, 4th March, 2010, 05:54 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •