[FG&G] For Gold & Glory: 2nd Edition Fantasy Role-Playing Game

Aurumvorax

First Post
FG&G is an attempt to compile the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition rules into a single open game product. The idea arose after reading the Old School Reference & Index Compilation which is an open game adaption of AD&D 1E. FG&G, like OSRIC, will be free for use and reference.

The rules have been kept intact but the descriptions rewritten with clarity in mind. The casual writing style that made 2E's rules easy-to-learn but difficult from a reference perspective has been tightened in favor of the game's mechanics. All the rules from the three core books will be included in a single product and a separate appendix containing all the variant rules will be released separately. A third project in progress will include select material such as races, class kits, and options 2E fans have come to love.

This is a solo project and as such I need the support and commentary from the community to continue. I'm not a typist nor a proficient proofreader so I rely on you, the great reader, to point out my mistakes and mispellings.
Yes, that was a joke.

Thank you for your time and support.

For Gold & Glory Core
Legal
Introduction
Ability Scores
Player Character Races
Player Character Classes
Alignment
Equipment
Combat and Encounters
Adventuring and Exploration
Hirelings and Henchmen - Coming Soon!
Experience and Encounters - (experience parts finished, encounters will be merged with it)
Treasure and Research
Magic Overview
Spell Catalogue - Coming Soon!
Bestiary - Coming Soon!
Glossary
Appendix I: Tables
Appendix II: Spell Catalogue by Class and Level - Coming Soon!
Appendix III: Treasure by Type - Coming Soon!
Appendix IV: Monsters by Hit Dice - Coming Soon!
Appendix V: Core Optional Rules - Coming Soon!

Player's Choice
Class Kits - Coming Soon!
Races - Coming Soon!
Psionics - Coming Soon!

*When a section is completely finished it will be added into a zip file so you can download all of them at once.

AD&D2E to CRAIG Changes
-All halfling PCs are considered to be pure blooded stouts. This was a decision to keep halflings (as player characters) consistent with the rest of the demihumans. The percentage for stout/tallfellow will be added in with the optional rules section.

-Optional rules, including the proficiency system, have been removed. This is because FG&G serves as core rules and options would bloat the file. Optional rules will be combined and available as a single document for ease of reference.

-For (possible) legal reasons, THAC0 has been changed to "Combat Rating." It otherwise functions exactly the same as THAC0 (subtract FR from target's AC, roll 1d20 + modifiers to hit).

Work Log
20 November 2009: Project started around this time.

24 November 2009: Uploaded legal, glossary, and ability scores. Ability scores document is 100% finished. Glossary will be updated over time. Next document to finish is Races which is about 80% finished. Major work to be done on that is creating the applicable tables, cleaning up the writing, and basic formatting.

26 November 2009: Player Character Races finished and uploaded. Tonight I'll try to finish at least half the Player Character Classes section and upload alignments (although frankly I'll just copy and paste the SRD alignment descriptions as between AD&D and SRD they're the same).

I'll also start working on the appendixes beginning with all of the tables I use meaning I'll have to go back and number each individual table.

27 November 2009: A lot of minor changes (removed ascending AC, added fighting level in replace of THAC0, spell check).

29 November 2009: Uploaded Player Character Classes containing (near) complete write ups for the warrior and wizard groups.

05 December 2009: Finished Player Character Classes. Lots of things need to be done like formatting, spell check, adding weapon specialization for fighters, and rewriting the druid mythos because what I have right now is horrible and confusing.

Regardless, gotta keep trucking. I want to finish everything with the exception of spells and treasure by the end of the year. After that, it'll be a simultaneous battle between editing, proof reading, and the long and arduous task that is spells.

07 December 2009: A lot of work happened today. The beginning of appendix 1 was added, player character classes and races are pretty much finished, alignment finished and uploaded, and just tons of changes and formatting decisions made everywhere. Also, thanks to a recommendation, I changed the title to Advanced Rules and Index Guide :D.

December 15, 2009: Uploaded the files in rich text format and placed them up on my personal server so you can download the files. Alignment and Equipment are essentially finished. A few changes were made to how equipment works like the arquebus and mancatcher but they're 99% identical except in fluff.

January 1, 2010: Lots of changes. Every document's format has been updated for clarity, several dozen mistakes have been corrected (wizards no longer get d10 hit dice hehe), and the files just look and read better. Uploaded the Introduction, Combat and Encounters, and Magic Overview documents which brings the Player's Handbook to about 75% complete. After Movement and Exploration is finished, it's on to the spells which will probably take the better portion of this month.

A noticeable mistake right now is fighting rank. Some documents still refer to it as fighting level. This was a little oversight I forgot about and will fix later. (I might end up changing it to Combat Rank; a little send up to TETSNBN's convoluted challenge rating).

January 7, 2010: Adventuring and Exploration has been uploaded. Today marks the completion of the PHB material (with the exception of spells). My next major step is to scour the DMG as for whatever reason it contains information that even players would want to know hidden within it like how aerial combat works. This shouldn't take too long; perhaps 2 weeks at the most.

You'll notice several errors. For one, my "list of changes" is ever shrinking as I step back and realize few of them are necessary. Movement rate has gone back to a flat number and you'll find I haven't swapped everything back yet. I also changed Fighting Rank "FR" to Combat Rating simply to keep Fighting Rank and Fighter Level separate.

January 23, 2010: Experience and Treasure/Research have been uploaded. At the last minute I decided to combine experience with the encounters section from the DMG so that chapter is unfinished for now. The combat section and other sections have been heavily modified with additional DMG material especially combat which is 100% complete. Movement rating has been changed back to the original concept from the rules because, ironically, it ended up requiring too many fractions and math.

Working on Hirelings and Henchmen now.

Aurumvorax

First Post
Bookmarked.

Your project looks very interesting. I am curious about how you will handle kits without violating WotC IP.

RC

Like Treebore said, I completely rewrite them. 2E's supplements were a mess in terms of formatting IMO. I'll be tackling the kits in a manner that allows quick reference without mixing fluff with mechanics.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I didn't have time to leave a proper comment yesterday, but just wanted to say that I think this is a cool idea and thank you for all of your hard work. AD&D 2e is easily my second favorite edition of D&D (well, currently — tastes are subject to change).

Witty Comeback

First Post
First of all, let me preface this by saying that I think you are doing a fine job. I cut my teeth on 2nd Edition and have been wondering who would clone it.

But that leads to my real question: are you allowed to promote this as a 2nd edition AD&D clone? Isn't the whole point of OSRIC et al. that they are based on "the oldest RPG" or the "little brown books" or whatnot, but they aren't legally allowed to spell out the source material? Even to post about it on various forums, lest they get a C&D?

Correct my if I'm wrong; I know next to nothing about IP law, just passing this along so that WotC isn't the one informing you of this in the future.

Aurumvorax

First Post
First of all, let me preface this by saying that I think you are doing a fine job. I cut my teeth on 2nd Edition and have been wondering who would clone it.

But that leads to my real question: are you allowed to promote this as a 2nd edition AD&D clone? Isn't the whole point of OSRIC et al. that they are based on "the oldest RPG" or the "little brown books" or whatnot, but they aren't legally allowed to spell out the source material? Even to post about it on various forums, lest they get a C&D?

Correct my if I'm wrong; I know next to nothing about IP law, just passing this along so that WotC isn't the one informing you of this in the future.

I originally thought about this so I looked to other retro-game products to see what I could/couldn't say. Mythmere games specifically references D&D (several times) in their "About" page followed by a disclaimer saying they're not affiliated in any way.

The actual product itself, mine included, makes no reference to D&D or property owned by WotC. To my knowledge, nothing in the product goes against the OGL so I'm going to continue doing what I'm doing until someone tells me not to.

And thanks for everyone's interest. Currently I'm designing a website which will also serve as my development blog. I like collecting random roleplaying material and sometimes I draw so I'll be putting up the occasional review, homebrew rules, and art pieces for show.

To be honest, the main reason I started the project was because I wanted to create a book. Rest assured once it's finished I'll be making a handful of custom hardbacks with original art for sale. Not to say the project isn't important to me, but having a finished, tangible book that I created (even if it is based on another person's work) is my #1 goal in life right now.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Hey! Nose back to grindstone, you!

:lol:

EDIT: Edit your "legal" to include what is OGC and what is PI. I want to use "For Gold &Glory: 2nd Edition Fantasy Ruleset Copyright 2009-2010, Justen M. Brown."!

Aus_Snow

First Post
Fantastic idea. Kudos!

Some time ago (a year or two, perhaps. . .?) I was commenting on the lack of a 2e retro-clone. And so were a whole bunch of other posters, I might add. One was, I think, musing on the idea of making one.

Anyway, it's great to see it being done. And, from what I can tell, competently at that. :)

edit --- I'd also be very curious to see how kits (et al) can be - or are going to be? - integrated into the RCFG system.

Remove ads