Scry/Greater Scrying Questions

Zenon

First Post
Ok, I've looked at the PHB, SRD and the 09022002 FAQ and cannot find any clarification on the following:

Question 1: Scry/Greater Scrying senors, are they immobile or do they follow around the target of the scry? I can find nothing that indicates if the magical sensor created can move (like a speed per round, etc.).

Question 2: There is no (D) at the end of the Duration line, indicating that the spell is not dismissable at will by the caster. It is a timed duration spell. The duration is also not marked as Concentration (which would indicate that the caster could dismiss the spell by ceasing to concentrate). Is this correct? Would a 16th level cleric casting Greater Scrying have to sit through 16 hours of scrying (at 1 hr/lvl)?

Am I missing something (errata or by just plain being blind)?

F5

Explorer
Technically, I think you're right. I can't imagine any DM not allowing you to cancel the spell at will, though.
The lesser Scry has a Focus requirement...if you wanted to be strict you could say that the spell is effectively cancelled when you stop looking into the mirror or pool of water. For Greater Scry, I dunno.
As for the movement aspect of your question, I've always seen it played that the sensor moves with the subject. You're scrying on a person, not an area, so the spell effect should follow them unless they go somewhere the spell won't function.

Jay Lofstead

First Post
I'll attempt to tackle the first question (can the sensor move?):

In looking at the scrying skill (which must be used in conjunction with the spell), it references arcane eye (also a 4th level arcane spell). The arcane eye explicitly talks about the sensor moving and how to move it. Scrying does not. Given this difference, it suggests that the sensor for scrying is created near the person being scryed, but is fixed (doesn't move with the subject). I have to say I would rule that way on it unless someone has a more compelling view to the contrary.

The duration would be until dispelled (or the time elapses). You no longer have to look at the results, but you have the option. This makes it important to have that dispell magic spell available for short duration scrying (especially since it isn't really that hard to detect it is happening).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases