Interesting Extraplanar Cities?

Baron Opal

First Post
My cosmology bears a resemblance to the 4e scheme which is coincidental. It’s been kicking around in my mind for the past decade and I’m finally getting to writing stuff down. For reference, I have almost all of the Planescape materials. (Missing the Astral and Inner planes books still, darn it.)

Briefly, there are 4 planes; Astral, Telluric, Archaen and the Ylem.
The Telluric planes are the prime planes. This is where I have alternate worlds that may have slightly different physics. If I’m looking for a Stargate or The Fantastic Journey style scenario I would have the PCs here. This is the realm of the “possible”. Anything that is found here or wonders that are discovered have to be possible through the efforts of Man, be they magical or mundane.

The Archaen plane is the residue from previous realities. It’s a combination of the Outlands, Thuldanin (Acheron) and Minethys (Carceri). All things lost, broken or abandoned find their way here, be they tools, concepts or gods. Gehreleths and rakshashas prowl here covetous of their broken treasures. One of the easiest means of travel from one Telluric plane to another is to translate here. You then pick a direction and walk. When the black stars in the dull orange / brown sky* move into the constellations of the target world you are all set. Of course, easy /= safe.

Even so, eventually pieces of the Archaen fall into the Ylem. This is a vast sea of the base material of creation. Interestingly, it is the same drab colors as the skies of the Archaen. It is endless and quiet. Only a distant throbbing or rumble is ever noticed. There is, however, vast seas and vistas of differentiated matter and energy. The City of Brass is here on a delta where the river Phlegethon flows into the Sea of Fire. Eventually, a person could travel and find the edge of the world where stone and fire accrete and erode at the edge of the Ylem. This is the realm of “imagination”. If a being has the imagination and the will it can create things that could not exist in the Telluric planes.

Above it all are the Astral planes. These are the realms of the immortals; the primordial and transcendant. This is a realm of “themes”. There is little matter here. The realms are often little more than the dreams of gods and heroes made manifest. The realms of the dead are here; visions of judgement, torment and bliss abound.

It is thought that the Astral planes are closest to the three poles of Creation, but arguments can be made about whether the Ylem is truly closer of if there is a continuum through Creation. The poles radiate their principles which drive the energies of Creation. The can not be visited like any of the planes, but some planes exemplify these principles and their power can be tapped.

Obelisk – Law – Crystallization – Salt principle
Maelstrom – Chaos – Dissolution – Sulfur principle
Pattern – Neutrality - Evolution – Mercury principle

So, 5-7 cities scattered about this scheme. :)

* Which remarkably resembles Babylon 5 hyperspace.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases