Prisoner not allowed to play D&D

It's an elaborate dice game. (Yes, even Castle Falkenstein or Amber, for the purposes of a reporter outside the roleplaying milieu.) ;)

BTW:

The appeals court said the prison's policy was reasonable and did not violate Singer's rights.
"After all, punishment is a fundamental aspect of imprisonment, and prisons may choose to punish inmates by preventing them from participating in some of their favorite recreations," the court said.
So it appears the court did not evalualate the idea that it might lead to "gang"-like behavior. They just based their decision on the fact that disallowing him to play a game for recreation is just an acceptable part of his punishment.

Maybe his lawyer should have argued that playing RPG might be a way of resocialization for him.

On the plus side - rulings like these makes committing crimes (and getting caught) less desirable for roleplayers.

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
While it's clear from this - "promotes fantasy role playing, competitive hostility, violence, addictive escape behaviors, and possible gambling," - that the prison officials don't have a clue what D&D is really about, as a taxpayer I understand the concerns of having to pay to house a convicted first degree murderer to sit around all day playing D&D (or cards, board games, or video games, or a myriad of other similar activities) - "After all, punishment is a fundamental aspect of imprisonment, and prisons may choose to punish inmates by preventing them from participating in some of their favorite recreations."

Then again, participating in roleplaying games can work wonders for incarcerated youth in developing the skills to open up, express themselves and develop some valuable social tools for when they have get their second chance.

It's a tough call.

Riley

Legend
Hrmph. D&D also promotes cooperation, following the rules, and working together to accomplish a common goal.

Wouldn't want prisoners learning those things. Better to leave them bored and stewing in their own juices alone, huh?

Most depressing coming from the home state of D&D. And myself.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
It's not about D&D, it's about punishment.

That said, I reckon a D&D programme would make a worthwhile rehabilitation exercise in prisons. Edit: Although the next two posts just reminded me of how dumb that idea could be!

(snip) One thing I notice in many media reports about D&D and RPGs is that reporters don't really know how to describe D&D (in just a few words) to the general public. (snip)

Now why would they want to do that?

The job of most journalists is to confect outrage and produce an emotional response that disengages your ability to reason so you're dumb enough to accept advertising messages.

So, ergo, a journalist would want to use the most inflammatory phrasing possible so as to stir up trouble.

Last edited:

Runestar

First Post
And in the latest news, an argument over how the grapple rules in 3e are supposed to work has boiled over into a full out riot...

Sadly, when copies of "Rules of the game" were produced, that seemed to exacerbate the situation. :uhoh:

More later on the news at 10.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
LOL! B-)

I know if I were a lawyer for the prison, I would just point to some edition war threads (especially ones with bannings) to make my point!

:lol:

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Now why would they want to do that?

The job of most journalists is to confect outrage and produce an emotional response that disengages your ability to reason so you're dumb enough to accept advertising messages.

So, ergo, a journalist would want to use the most inflammatory phrasing possible so as to stir up trouble.

It shouldn't be that way. That's certainly not the way I was taught when I got my broadcasting degree. Yet practice and reality are oftentimes different than what is taught in school. *shrugs*

I can see both sides to this one. On the one hand, D&D might be good for the man. On the other, he is there to serve punishment and it is possible that social groups of any kind in a prison might lead to gang activity. All I can figure is that the local prison officials and justice system know the situation a lot better than we do, and only they can make the decisions.

What concerns me, more than this, is that D&D seems to be painted in a negative light in the news. Maybe we gamers need to start making some positive news. *shrugs*

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
It's hard to make the news without going on a crime spree.

One of my huge criticisms of news reporting these days.

They say that if you want to live a happier life, turn off the news. I did, and I'm happier. I just pay attention to gaming news these days, which is another ball of wax. Thanks, EN World!

Remove ads