No more WotC Star Wars - announcement

pukunui

Legend
Hi all, I don't know if any of you have seen this already or not but WotC's Greg Yahn has made an official announcement that WotC has chosen not to renew the Star Wars license. Their current license ends in May, so The Unknown Regions will be the final RPG book and Masters of the Force will be the final minis booster set.

You can read all about it here: Wizards of the Coast Announcement.

Last edited:

jeffh

Adventurer
For some reason, when I click on the link nothing happens. I have to actually paste it into my browser.

EDIT: Never mind, problem was fixed while I was typing this.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
<DarthVader>

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
</DarthVader>

PREDICTION: Like Alternity 4e will become 4e's space fantasy setting..... ALTERNITY 4E will be the 2011 or 2012 setting.

PREDICTION 2: I will no longer buy any WoTC products UNLESS Modern 4e (Gamma World) and Sci Fi 4e (Alternity) are actually better then SWSaga.

Too bad SW Saga's rules aren't ogl.. that's system deserves a future iteration that doesn't include hundreds of powers per class..

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
For some reason, when I click on the link nothing happens. I have to actually paste it into my browser.

EDIT: Never mind, problem was fixed while I was typing this.
Yeah sorry. I had the coding the wrong way round. Should work fine now.

pawsplay

Hero
I'm not surprised. While Saga had its nice points, I think the development just never hit the right notes. As for the minis, there are really only so many stormtroopers you can sell.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I'm not surprised. While Saga had its nice points, I think the development just never hit the right notes. As for the minis, there are really only so many stormtroopers you can sell.

I agree about that considering that their were a lot of holes within the rules that should have been plugged but never were without homebrewing. That and the where's waldo-esque nature of some of the rules, feats, equipment which really made things difficult since several key books went out of print.

Last edited:

ggroy

First Post
PREDICTION: Like Alternity 4e will become 4e's space fantasy setting..... ALTERNITY 4E will be the 2011 or 2012 setting.

Now this I can buy into, for a 2011 setting! :)

Though one can wonder whether they will salvage some of the Star War SAGA ruleset (ie. talent trees, etc ...) for it, or will they just use the straight 4E ruleset with the at-will/encounter/daily structure of powers.

Obryn

Hero
Too bad SW Saga's rules aren't ogl.. that's system deserves a future iteration that doesn't include hundreds of powers per class..
oof. I actually gave up on SWSE after there were hundreds of talents per class. (And they're not even as organized as 4e, where at least powers are stratified into levels, reducing the sea of options into a small pond.) IMO, it badly needs something like DDI for organization.

-O

Remove ads