Codex Martialis- Your Opinions

shadow

First Post
I recently ran across a review for Codex Martialis on this site. Given my penchant for tinkering with the rules, I was intrigued. It seems that most reviews have been very positive. I'm wondering how it would work with the game that I'm trying to run.

I'm going for a high fantasy, larger-than-life (though not super hero/anime) style of game play. I don't really get into the grim-and-gritty games. However, I am wondering if the pdf would provide more in the way of weapon skills so that characters who master different weapons can use different fighting styles. As it stands now, the only difference between different weapons is the amount of damage they inflict and the critical multiplier.

Also, how modular is the system? How well does it mesh with the rest of the game? Do I have to completely rework the classes to fit with the system? Do I have to throw out all the combat related feats because they no longer apply under the Codex Martialis rules?

I would like the opinions of anyone who has played with the system. Thanks.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I love the idea. And the implementation, in terms of spirit, diligence, care, and such. There is a lot to like there.

However, as is often the case with such extensive labours of love, I feel that the execution leaves something to be desired, in the way that it meshes with the ruleset it's meant for.

I would have to go back and note down each thing, to be any more clear about that point. But it is the impression I came away with, right or wrong. So, sadly, I've not used very much from it at any stage.

But, all said and dome, it could be merely a matter of taste. In fact, given the nature of some of the reviews, it seems, that *must* be so, to some extent at least. :)

edit --- Hm. What sort of rules adjustements were you looking for, anyway? Maybe I or someone else could suggest a few alternatives, house rules, or both. . .?

Last edited:

Galloglaich

First Post
Hi,

I'm the designer of the Codex. I think El Madhi gave me a nice plug here, he seems to really "get it". El Madhi is right this system was designed for low - fantasy, games but is modular can be adapted to higher level play. I'd say it's ideal for something like E6. But I've found from feedback I've gotten on the forums that people have successfully adapted it to high level 3E games and to other systems including Pathfinder, Game of Thrones, True20, Ars Magica, Green Ronins "True Sorcery" system and others.

When the original rulebook first came out, it was deisgned for tinkerers who wanted to adapt new ideas into their own house rules. The new (2.3) version includes specific guidelines for adapting the existing 'standard' OGL feats, conversions of monsters to Codex stats, several sample characters and etc. I think it's easier to integrate with a standard OGL game.

Anyway, I'll be glad to answer any questions anyone has about the system here.

Shadow if you'd like a look at it I'll also be glad to send you a comp copy of the new version I made of the rulebook. Just send me a PM. I can't guarantee it will fit with your game or with High level play, but you are welcome to try it out and see how it fits.

G.

Last edited:

shadow

First Post
I finally got around to finishing reading the rules that Galloglaich was nice enough to send. I must say that I am impressed with the rules, although I will not be using them for the current campaign that I am planning.

The overall usefulness of the Codex depends largely on your play style. I found they work very well with "low-fantasy" and swashbuckling type games, but not so well with epic and cinematic games. If you want a ruleset that differentiates weapons and emphasizes tactics, this is the system for you. If you are looking for fast paced cinematic rules, look elsewhere.

I like how weapons incorporate more than just damage values. Now there are actual advantages and disadvantages to different fighting styles. However, this also means that players have to pay attention to their tactics in combat. (No more simply saying, "I swing my sword at the orc".)

One disadvantage to the system is that it requires slightly more complicated rules. Although, not unwieldy or impractical, it does require players to keep track of the opponents they are currently engaged in (as weapons bonuses differ depending on whether you are in onset range or grapple range). This makes it hard to use the system in fast paced, cinematic combat.

Also, combat tends to be more deadly using the Codex Martialis rules. The rules are fairly modular, so the level of lethality depends largely on the DM. However, if you are wanting to play a fighter who can take on large numbers of minions at once, you should look elsewhere.

All in all, though the rules don't fit my current play style I really like them. I'm considering combining them with Green Ronin's True Sorcery to create a Mythic Earth setting (ala - Ars Magic).

Galloglaich

First Post
Thanks for the great review Shadow.

Please let me know (and update this thread) when you do get a chance to playtest the system.

I think you will find that it is much faster than you think. Anyway I'll be interested to learn what your impressions are at that point.

You are correct though about it being grim and gritty.

G.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases