Pathfinders of Pelligrew's Pinnace [OOC 01]

mleibrock

First Post
Alignment

Hey guys,

So here is my question... How do you all feel about the alignment question posted? It was my feeling the good/evil - lawful/chaotic choices were on two different axis. If that is the case, then chaotic neutral is one step away from Neutral Good (one step on each axis) or do you all feel it is intended to be one step away on either axis?

Mike,

I think I could get her to true neutral but it would just barely be there, give me some time to get her there. It is my intention to make her become closer to the party and at least be there with the 3 of you, whether or not she is to the rest of the world may or may not happen.

Any other thoughts?

FYI,

This is my first time playing anything remotely not nice so give me chance to stretch my wings a bit.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Oh no propblems here with your alignment of choice I think the party may even be a way to help your character "see the light"

Step back from the DARK SIDE!! :p

The axis question I do believe it is one from either evil/good or law/chaos, and in my opinion CN isn't even near any other alignment. How do you play one step away from crazy LOL

HM

Last edited:

grufflehead

First Post
Hey guys,

So here is my question... How do you all feel about the alignment question posted? It was my feeling the good/evil - lawful/chaotic choices were on two different axis. If that is the case, then chaotic neutral is one step away from Neutral Good (one step on each axis) or do you all feel it is intended to be one step away on either axis?

From my POV, if you feel CN best fits your concept of Lerissa's outlook on life, and GM Mike has no issues, then I'd just as soon ignore the alignment rule. I can see *why* it's there as D&D and all its offspring have had alignment from the getgo, but no other game shoehorns you into something like that.

This wasn't an open game: Mike picked us all for a reason, namely that we treat the game seriously and maturely, based on what he knows about us as players and people. I'm something of the interloper here in as much as the rest of you are relying on Mike's judgement of me as a gamer because we haven't played together before. You (player Mike) are obviously an experienced enough player (and have a long term personal arc in mind for this character) that you're not playing this alignment as a way of getting any advantage in game, so the fun rule trumps game mechanics.

To digress, personally speaking, CN is the alignment that makes me want to cry almost every time I see it one someone's sheet. The commonest interpretation I come across (and someone actually said this to me IRL about a month ago) is 'I'm playing CN because that way I can do whatever I want'. Well, no, actually, that's *not* how it works in my book, but in open recruitment games, as soon as I see it, the alarms start going off big time.

What I want from the other characters in the game is to be able to close my eyes and visualise them, and then (given a bit of time in game) to be able to say 'yes, this is how PC X would react in this situation' and if they don't, to use that as a hook to explore why they take a different view and get some RP out of it. Hence why I'd rather play in a group with an evil PC who is consistent in their behaviour than this bastardised view of CN that you can do what the hell you want all the time. I mean, honestly, as a character, why would you even put your life in the hands of someone who might very well turn round and decide not to heal you, back you up in a fight, expend their resources on you because they don't feel like it?

I don't see Lerissa as CN by that standard. I (and Mustapha!) already have a picture of her (and I'm keeping that to myself ;)) so the game mechanic crutch of alignment is neither here nor there to me in this instance.

Do I win a prize for rambling and incoherent post of the day?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Wow, I like this group of players! This could turn out to be the best game ever!

Matt, you good with bending the rules a bit for a CN Lerissa as well?

mleibrock

First Post
Lerissa

From my POV, if you feel CN best fits your concept of Lerissa's outlook on life, and GM Mike has no issues, then I'd just as soon ignore the alignment rule. I can see *why* it's there as D&D and all its offspring have had alignment from the getgo, but no other game shoehorns you into something like that.

This wasn't an open game: Mike picked us all for a reason, namely that we treat the game seriously and maturely, based on what he knows about us as players and people. I'm something of the interloper here in as much as the rest of you are relying on Mike's judgement of me as a gamer because we haven't played together before. You (player Mike) are obviously an experienced enough player (and have a long term personal arc in mind for this character) that you're not playing this alignment as a way of getting any advantage in game, so the fun rule trumps game mechanics.

To digress, personally speaking, CN is the alignment that makes me want to cry almost every time I see it one someone's sheet. The commonest interpretation I come across (and someone actually said this to me IRL about a month ago) is 'I'm playing CN because that way I can do whatever I want'. Well, no, actually, that's *not* how it works in my book, but in open recruitment games, as soon as I see it, the alarms start going off big time.

What I want from the other characters in the game is to be able to close my eyes and visualise them, and then (given a bit of time in game) to be able to say 'yes, this is how PC X would react in this situation' and if they don't, to use that as a hook to explore why they take a different view and get some RP out of it. Hence why I'd rather play in a group with an evil PC who is consistent in their behaviour than this bastardised view of CN that you can do what the hell you want all the time. I mean, honestly, as a character, why would you even put your life in the hands of someone who might very well turn round and decide not to heal you, back you up in a fight, expend their resources on you because they don't feel like it?

I don't see Lerissa as CN by that standard. I (and Mustapha!) already have a picture of her (and I'm keeping that to myself ;)) so the game mechanic crutch of alignment is neither here nor there to me in this instance.

Do I win a prize for rambling and incoherent post of the day?

Yes, you win. But all kidding aside, I love your take on this and I think you'll see my character start to get past her trust issues and she may even become a bit co-dependant upon the party members as she progresses to more of a true-neutral. I view the CN in this instance as a result of her defense mechanisms. She has a brother in another game I am playing for Mike (GM) who is the kindest guy you've ever met. He wears his heart on his sleeve and is easily hurt. He uses only a sap and deals only non-fatal damage so it's going to be fun for Lerissa to eventually start seeing her brother in another light (as stronger than she, not weaker as she does now) as she begins to change her thinking to a less selfish outlook on life.

Rhun

First Post
Wow, I like this group of players! This could turn out to be the best game ever!

Matt, you good with bending the rules a bit for a CN Lerissa as well?

I have no problems with it. My only problem is that chaotic neutral and Sarenae's doctrine don't mesh very well...so Mike is going to have quite the roleplaying challenge. But I'm sure he is up for it. :D

And for anyone that needs a refresher:

SRD said:
Chaotic Neutral, "Free Spirit"
A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn’t strive to protect others’ freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. A chaotic neutral character does not intentionally disrupt organizations as part of a campaign of anarchy. To do so, he would have to be motivated either by good (and a desire to liberate others) or evil (and a desire to make those different from himself suffer). A chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behavior is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it.

Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom from both society’s restrictions and a do-gooder’s zeal.

And also:

SRD said:
People who are neutral with respect to good and evil have compunctions against killing the innocent but lack the commitment to make sacrifices to protect or help others. Neutral people are committed to others by personal relationships.

"Chaos" implies freedom, adaptability, and flexibility. On the downside, chaos can include recklessness, resentment toward legitimate authority, arbitrary actions, and irresponsibility. Those who promote chaotic behavior say that only unfettered personal freedom allows people to express themselves fully and lets society benefit from the potential that its individuals have within them.

grufflehead

First Post
Question for the GM: do Brass Men feel pain? As Mustapha has taken a bit of a beating, what sort of physical signs of it are there - can't be blood, so is it just scratches and dents?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
There'd be lubricating fluids as well - probably circulated by some sort of pump. As far as pain - cosmetically you may play that however you wish, but they're not immune in terms of game mechanics & pain effects that cause penalties (if there even are such - I'm not aware of any off the top of my head).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases