Pathfinders of Pelligrew's Pinnace [OOC 01]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Leaf's got a backup weapon - a pretty cool one, though the damage potential isn't as good as his trident.

Wooden Fists (6x/day). He won't provoke AoOs, and he'll do 1d3+(½Lvl) Lethal damage. So 1d3+1 with the fists vs. 2d6-3 (No Minimum) with the Trident.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Yeah I took that domain so I could throw the trident and still have a weapon and also for those "You are all captured and all your weapons are takin."

LOL not all :p

HM

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
3.5 average versus 4 average. Not much difference.

Right. Assuming he hits with both, the main difference is that with the fists he's guaranteed two points of damage whereas if he rolls poorly (a 1 and a 2 on the dice or worse) he'll do none with the trident. Good thing these guys are wimps!

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Considering a House Rule

Springing from discussion in another game thread, I'm considering adding a house rule regarding Detect Magic. I wanted some feedback from my players before I jump in, as it does affect players in both of my current games.

It was suggested that unlimited Detect Magic takes something away from the game - specifically, the whole "wait until we've got a pile of loot and then cast one big detect magic on all of it to separate the wheat from the chaff" thing. Now, I've got no problem with this, actually. You're gonna find out anyway, and this particular 'flavor' aspect just seems to get cumbersome to me.

However, it started me thinking about the utility of Detect Magic for locating potential magic traps - spend a few rounds in any given area, locate all the sources of magic, any that look likely for traps you 'take measures' on, rinse and repeat.

WalkingDad suggested that Detect Magic could be house ruled into a 'sense,' requiring a Perception check to actually detect the magical emanations of items that were purposely hidden. So a magic sword in the middle of an armory wouldn't require a check - it's just sitting there and no effort was made to disguise it. But the caster who trapped that door with the fireball plainly didn't want it noticed before it went off, so that one would require a Perception check to notice.

Assuming the person detecting the magic spent the time to determine aura strength, I'd make the DC to find the magic traps easier the stronger the spell on the trap (harder to hide a Fireball spell than it is to hide a Magic Missile).

If I went this route I'd also remove the 'cone' area on the spell; anything one could perceive with one's other senses could also be perceived with the Detect Magic.

Anyone have any thoughts about this? Throwing up of arms in protest, or enthusiastic endorsement? Just don't care one way or the other?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
That is one way of going about it, I think giving an unlimited number of uses in anything potential for character abuse.

But then again after a caster casts everything they had it is nice for them to still be useful I think Detect Magic is one of those that should either go back to LVL 1 with a small increrase of spells per day. Or be allotted like with the duskblade, So many times based on high stat, then a higher caster wouild have it on hand all the time while a lower lvl one would have to watch what he spends them on.

HM

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases