Pathfinders of Pelligrew's Pinnace [OOC 01]

renau1g

First Post
I'd also rather know up front that a PC I'm thinking of introducing would cause conflict with the others and lead to trouble either now or down the road. It was just some random musings though based on the info I was reading on that nation. Joining after chargen is done for the other four PC's I do want to make sure I take you into account. I wasn't sure if a paladin of knowledge would necessarily be against devils, hence why I posted here

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I actually LOVE Cheliax - brilliant the way they've decided that because devils in general and Asmodeus in particular are lawful, the worship of other gods (even Chaotic Good ones) is legal. Just don't be a demon worshiper there! And of course, both Sarenrae and Asmodeus were part of the group (major players in it) that banded together to imprison Rovagug . . .

The pregen characters for one of the APs (I can't remember which one right off hand) actually include a Neutral Evil rogue and a Paladin - with back stories that allow them to adventure together.

However, something a little less in direct conflict with the existing party might be better in this case.

renau1g

First Post
In a face-to-face game it might be fun, the interactions could be cool, but yeah over the interwebs here it might be better.

So, I think I'm pretty sure of Barbarian//Summoner.

mleibrock

First Post
Hey, now! I'm starting to feel a little defensive! :lol: (Sort of)

So in my defense :))):

Everyone has the class, race and alignment they wanted to play, more hit points than first level characters in about any other game, and stats at least up to 'Standard Fantasy' point buy standards (in some cases significantly better). In cases where the stats aren't at 'High Fantasy' levels, there are extra skill points and in some cases feats. And I've just finished saying that as long as the group discusses it and comes to an agreement Ryan could play a devil worshiping/summoning character in a party with a Paladin . . .

I'm really not sure how my requirements are any more stringent than in other games . . .

Maybe it's just that I spell it out in plain language from the start?

Mikey,

We didn't really get to pick ANY alignment we wanted. ALSO, you are right in that we got to pick our race and class but it was BEFORE we had stats. So in a lot of ways, it limits us tremendously. Extras like feats and skill points are nice but it doesn't help us like good stats or tailoring a character around the stats. I understand your way of thinking and what you want to do, but for me who doesn't play many games, it just feels very limiting - rather than unique. I feel very stifled. I like the idea of Lerissa and the thought of her growing to trust people through this avenue. I don't really know why this all bothers me so much, but it really does. Even more so in this game than A Merc's life - Probably because I'm playing a more congenial character there.

I think it might be a good idea for me to pull her when we find an opportune time and it will keep the party from being too powerful and it will allow me to possibly play her at another time. I also don't really have or want to devote the time to changing her with the new rules or learning more rules - I'm learning I'm not near as into it online as face to face.

I'm not upset, and hope you understand, it's just a difference in opinion in this case and it's tugging at me enough that I think I would enjoy it less and less as we progress.

Sorry, all. Hope you guys don't think I'm crappy for bailing.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Obviously I don't want you to drop the game, but I also don't want you to continue on purely out of a sense of obligation. I've sensed that this game hasn't been as much fun for you as Legacy of Fire, and we've talked about that. Bottom line is that it's supposed to be fun, and if it's not then it becomes a chore to keep it up - and I've been getting that 'chore' vibe from you for awhile now ;).

It's definitely not an 'easy come, easy go' kind of thing because you bring a lot to the game and I like having you here, but I won't have any hard feelings if you drop. I've still got Tsadok in Legacy of Fire, and Radoon in Scotley's Island Empire game. And I'm thinking that sharing out two or three Society Scenarios between the two of us at LakeCon will be awesome!

So if you need to exit I totally understand. Probably the best time will be after this adventure and before we start the Serpent's Skull AP proper.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Whew that was a lot to read at 2:30 in the morning. I vote we have less posting time on days I'm at work. LOL :p

Sorry to see you go Mike, :( Lerrisa's character development was one of the things I hoped to watch as the game carried on. I hope we get a chance to game agian after we finish this little side trek.

Jake

grufflehead

First Post
Well, that's a bit of a bummer to put it mildly. Didn't realise you felt like that Mike; hope me being a pain in the butt early on didn't contribute to your feeling of being stifled. I'd also be sorry to see you go - I can get a game with most of the these reprobates ;) elsewhere, but as you're on here less, then it might be a while til our paths cross again.

I've dropped out of games I just didn't feel comfortable with so I can relate to your POV - sounds like you've made your decision, but I hope you wake up today and have a change of heart.

Thanks for being part of the best pbp game I've played in so far.

renau1g

First Post
So I'll keep this post as my rough draft of the PC for now

Background of Auron:

I was born as middle child to Chief Baram of Shiikirri-Quah (The Hawk Clan) of the Shoanti of Varisia. I have an older brother, Col, and a younger sister, Leah, whom I love dearly, my mother die giving birth to her, a dangerous omen amongst my people and so I have taken it upon myself to protect here. Like many of my brethren, I displayed a talent for tapping into the spirits of the tribe's totemic spirit, the Hawk, although mine developed at the age of thirteen. In my case the beast manifested itself in a more humanoid form, quite a rarity I was told for the tribe. This brought much attention to me from the elders. Unfortunately for Col, he never developed the "gift", as we call it, and this seemed to drive a wedge between us. He was strong and athletic, a seeming perfect leader for our people, next in line to take over when father passed, but there was whispers amongst the people that the spirits seemed to favor me, so perhaps the tradition of firstborn taking over the title of chief should be ignored. I never really considered this as Col, four years older, always seemed so strong and wise, far more suited to the task than me, but these rumors did nothing to improve our relationship, it seemed to drive him further away. He spent more and more time with the hunters and the time that we did spend together was strained. I noticed that Leah was the most affected by this split, she was always so quiet, she spoke little, just stared with those eyes, those beautiful, large eyes. She turned even more into herself. Our father was mostly silent on the issue, having many things to deal with, foremost being the dealings with the Chelaxians to the south. Our tribe was tasked with any diplomacy with those others.

As the years wore on, I continued to develop my talents for the calling of aid from the spirit world, now I had developed some minor abilities to call upon aid from the slithering snake, the noble eagle, and the loyal dog. My strongest connection was still to our totem spirit though. I was also trained in combat, both with the spear, the hammer, and the bow. I always excelled with the bow, my movements were always more coordinated than others of the tribe. It was around my 23rd birthday that my father took ill, no calls for aide from the spirits were answered as our bone shaman, Chupon, tried to cure whatever affliction it was that ran through his veins. As my father lay ill in his tent, Chupon began calling out Leah, saying that this new disease must have been brought about by her, she was the one born under the bad sign and this disease fought all efforts to cure it. Naturally, Leah was silent, her large eyes filled with tears. With Col away on a hunt, I stepped in and calmed the old man down, he likely meant no harm, but there was no point in letting that kind of talk spread through the tribe. Chupon stared daggers at me as I told him any threats against Leah were also against me and we could let the spirits judge. The soothsayer left, knowing that there was no way to win this argument and I assured Leah that I would not allow the bone shaman near her. A tearful nod was all I received in response as I hugged her close.

As my father's condition failed to improve, the whispers started again about the next clan leader, coinciding with Col's return. Anger burned on his face as he demanded to know why I didn't rush out to find him when the illness took hold. I told him know wasn't the time for blame, we had to attend to the Chief. He moved past me and entered the tent, speaking in low voices with our father and as he exited the tent he stormed past me and went to the bone shaman's refuge without saying a word. The Chief beckoned me inside and I sat next to him. He told me that Col would not be chief when he passed, that he wanted me to take over and that Col had went to pass on the proclamation to the shaman to announce after he died. His father, the chief, didn't last the night.

The next day, the body was buried in a cairn according to our customs and that evening a feast was held in Baram's honor, culminating in the announcement of the next leader. This occasion was quite the celebration as the excitement had built a fever pitch, with the relatively unknown decision at hand, all clansmen were eager to hear the news. As the meal progressed, Col avoided my eye contact and when I spoke to him, he pretended the din of the hastily constructed hall was too much too hear me. After Chupon read the list of our father's deeds, to the delight of our tribe as he had been a great leader, the hour was at hand to call out the new leader. I was surprised to feel butterflies in my stomach as I proudly stood, ready to receive the symbol of leadership, the silver hawk medallion passed down through generations. Chupon's announcement nearly sent me to the floor as he announced Col as the new Chief, proclaimed by Baram last night on his death bed. I looked to my brother who had a smile on his face, and stood amongst the cheering clansmen as he looked over at me and winked. I spoke up and announced that our former chief had named me as his successor last night, not Col, as he determined it was the spirit's choice. This silenced the room, but Col's face was of fury. The bone shaman held up his hands to prevent the now polarized men from making any rash decisions, especially as much mead had been drank that night. Chupon announced he'd consult the spirits and determine the truth of the situation.

The next morning, the soothsayer came out and proclaimed that I was to be made chief if, and only if, I could complete a task to prove my worth to the tribe. Our first tribal leader, Shea, who had wielded an enchanted spear, known as Obelisk, one that was effective even against the evils that walked the earth during the Age of Darkness, it was rumored to have been given to Shea by the spirits. The head of which was a rather large piece of obsidian, a piece of the heavens that fell to earth. It was lost after that time and many a young members of the clans had looked for it and not one had even come upon a trace of it. My face dropped as I knew it was a fool's errand, but I was also honor-bound to undertake the task, as if the spirits had truly willed it, I could not turn them down as the punishment was death. My brother gave me another wink as I traveled to my tent to gather my gear and prepare to leave, when Leah came in, her eyes again tear-stained and red-rimmed. I tried to explain that I had no other choice, but as she stared at me I knew that I was leaving her alone with Chupon and she was terrified. Before I left, I managed to contact a member of Shundar-Quah and they agreed to take Leah with them as part of their goal to unite the clans under the excuse that she would be able to help represent our clan there. Col didn't object, seeming more interested in celebrating his new position and didn't say and goodbyes as I left the village for the last time. I had little to go on, but I knew that the answers didn't lie with my own people else someone would have acquired it by now.

I traveled to the nearest Varisian settlement and there began my search for the information. After months and months of nothing but dead-ends, I came upon the first potentially helpful piece of information. I found out that there is a group of explorers that are known as Pathfinders. They publish a record of their explorations in something called the Chronicles. I found my way to Magnimar, and put myself forward to join this group, hoping they may have the information I need to complete my quest. I completed the initial test and became an Initiate, but was crushed to learn that I could not become a full member for three years. Luckily, I was able to convince the deans (of Magic, Swords, and Lore) to take the Confirmation after only eighteen months. I succeeded on this final test and was named a full Pathfinder. I was informed that a ship was leaving shortly out of the port here and heading to the Mwangi Expanse, a land that may hold secrets that may lead me to the Obelisk. I have taken to writing this journal with the help of a gnome, Gelik Aberwhinge, who got on board with me in Magnimar and we have had quite some time together on this months long journey. I currently stare out of the sea and wait for what is next...

[sblock=Stats]
STR 14, DEX 18, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 14 [/sblock]

[sblock=Traits]
General - Armor Expert - Auron spent much of his life wearing the traditional hide armor of his people.
Campaign - Boarded in Varisia - seems pretty self-explanatory.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Potential Image of PC]
Barbarian.jpg

or

ANorthman.jpg
[/sblock]

[sblock=Potential Eidolon]
Owlbear72.jpg

MM.owlbear.jpg

Nature_Warrior_by_paulobarrios.jpg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

mleibrock

First Post
Lerissa

Well, that's a bit of a bummer to put it mildly. Didn't realise you felt like that Mike; hope me being a pain in the butt early on didn't contribute to your feeling of being stifled. I'd also be sorry to see you go - I can get a game with most of the these reprobates ;) elsewhere, but as you're on here less, then it might be a while til our paths cross again.

I've dropped out of games I just didn't feel comfortable with so I can relate to your POV - sounds like you've made your decision, but I hope you wake up today and have a change of heart.

Thanks for being part of the best pbp game I've played in so far.

Nothing to do with any of you. Thanks for the kind words and we'll see how it goes, maybe as things pick up a bit I'll get more attached and not want to pull out , we'll have to see. FOr now, I'll just keep playing until we come to a good decision point.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Hey Mike I like the whole Rogue's Guild has a bunch of chest they can't open because their standard skill set wouldn't work on them. Nice little puzzle/RP encounter as we all discuss a course of action.

HM

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases