Patron Deity: Loki.

Subraces

• Goblin, Cave [RH]
  • Goblin, Forest [RH]
  • Goblin, Snow (see below)
Snow Goblin
Still to be done.

Hobgoblin [VG]
Hobgoblins should never be taken lightly, not that any sane race would ever do so. Hobgoblins are warlike and their society is highly structured. They don't like disorder, which means they try to avoid working with other types of goblins or any other race that acts disorderly. They can also be vicious when challenged, although can show restraint when it is advantageous to them. Hobgoblins try to plan for any scenario. They are as intelligent as humans and as cunning as minotaurs.

Hobgoblins despise catfolk, dwarves, elves, gnomes, halflings, and kenku, as general rule, although they do respect dwarves for being orderly opponents. The Duergar are the dwarves they respect the most. They have a great deal of respect for the society of minotaurs and have been known to work with them (but never for them). Humans are fascinating to hobgoblins. Humans can be either easy to kill or some of the toughest opponents they've faced. This contradiction makes humans an enigma to hobgoblins — a puzzle that must be solved if hobgoblins are to subjugate humans one day.

Hobgoblins hate other types of goblins because they are so disorderly. Bugbears and goblins are useful only as cannon fodder (bugbears) or as weak-willed servants (goblins). The same is true for other chaotic monstrous races such as bullywugs, gnolls, half-trolls, troglodytes, and, especially, the kuo-toa. Being near the kuo-toa makes hobgoblins tense. The kuo-toa's chaotic nature is highly disturbing to hobgoblins, which makes many of their kind strangely fearful of the lowest reaches of the underdark where the kuo-toa hold sway.

Since hobgoblins live in a highly ordered society, they are almost always Lawful. As well, their society is often cruel, which leads most hobgoblins down a dark path towards Evil. Even the most neutral of their kind have dark tendencies. Hobgoblins that don't grow up amongst their own kind are more likely to be Lawful and Neutral (with a few being Good). A saintly hobgoblin is more uncommon than rare in human cities, although most of them tend towards Neutrality. A non-Lawful hobgoblin is considered an oddity.

Patron Deity: Laran.

Hobgoblin Traits (based on race build designed by TheHobgoblin)
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Age. Hobgoblins mature at a faster rate than humans, and they are considered adults in their society by their 14th year. However, they aren't truly mature adults until 17. Life is hard for hobgoblins and they rarely live beyond their 40s. They can live longer but rarely beyond 60 years old.
Alignment. Hobgoblins are raised in a strong hierarchical society and are, thus, almost always lawful. As well, hobgoblin society tends to be cruel, which means that a typical hobgoblin leans towards evil. Lawful neutral hobgoblins are not uncommon.
Size. Hobgoblins range from over 6 feet to around 7 feet tall and have builds that are general better than humans. There is little difference between males and females. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. Raised to hunt and fight at night, you have superior vision in dark or dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Warrior's Knack. You may choose 1 Maneuver from the Battlemaster Fighter subclass. You have 1 superiority die of 1d6. This die increases to d8 at level 3, d10 at level 10 and d12 at level 18.
Weaponmonger. You may choose any two martial weapons and gain proficiency with them, regardless of class.
Mesomorphic. You have proficiency in the Athletics skill.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Goblin. While hobgoblin history and legends are traditionally oral, hobgoblins can easily read and write if taught to do so. (PC hobgoblins are considered to have been taught to read and write.)

Alternate Hobgoblin racial traits: Supreme Slayer's Racial Handbook (p. 10)

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
GIANTS
Firbolg [VG]
Description still to be written.

Giant, Wood (Voadkyn)
Still to be done.

Goliath [EEPC]

Patron Deities: Sif and Thor.

"I am NOT a half-giant!" - A goliath overreacts to a gnome's joke, trying to pick up and toss the prankster

Half-Giant

Racial Traits: Racial Handbook (p. 4)

Patron Deities: Cel, Tinia, Uni, Surtur, and/or Thrym.

Subraces

• Firbolgborn (see below)
  • Half-Giant, Cloud
  • Half-Giant, Fire
  • Half-Giant, Frost
  • Half-Giant, Hill
  • Half-Giant, Stone
Firbolgborn
Still to be done.

Half-Troll

Racial Traits: Racial Handbook (p. 10).

Patron Deity: Any, but often Surtur or Thyrm.

Last edited:

.5 Elf

First Post
Hiya,

I just came across your post and it seemed similar in some respects to my ideas on races - (link can be found below).

http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/276875-homebrew-race-class-rules.html

I think I may use a conjunction of a much more limited exp modifier but use the neg modifiers to stats in conjunction with it. I was curious however how much your racial starting stats modifier impacted the math that revloves around 4e.

Any info would be appreciated!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Hiya,

I just came across your post and it seemed similar in some respects to my ideas on races - (link can be found below).

http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/276875-homebrew-race-class-rules.html

I think I may use a conjunction of a much more limited exp modifier but use the neg modifiers to stats in conjunction with it. I was curious however how much your racial starting stats modifier impacted the math that revolves around 4e.

Any info would be appreciated!
The use of negative modifiers for ability scores is a sacred cow that I just can't let go of. I wouldn't use XP modifiers, however.

I haven't used my homebrewed system yet. At this point, I'm just tinkering. I'm not a huge 4e fan, so I'm not as devoted to the idea of playing the game as say v.3.5 or Pathfinder.

Cheers!

Knightfall

TANTUS
Tantus is the name I've given to a city that will be central to human civilization on Tarras. It will be the largest human city and will be to Tarras what Waterdeep is to the Realms or Greyhawk City is to Greyhawk.

I haven't really given much thought to what Tantus will be about, but it will be a city full of decadence and strife hidden behind a veil of civility. There will be "haves" and "have nots," and the "have nots" will out number the "haves" by a wide margin.

Tantus will be a sprawling metropolis on the coast and will likely be near the equator; however, I haven't decided 100% yet. It likely will be European in theme.

Tantus will have a king, but the King is known to be nothing but a figurehead (by everyone who cares). The real power of the city lies elsewhere. I still haven't figured out who or what will be the true power behind the city.

The King is always male and becoming the next king is a death sentence. Assassination of Royals is commonplace in Tantus, which means that the Royal Family can be considered a "have" and "have not." Tantus used to have powerful kings, in previous eras, but after "the event" happened that all changed.

What's the event? I don't know yet. War? Maybe, but that's overdone. A invasion from the Outer Planes? Hmm... that could be interesting. The death of a King-God? Could be interesting. A bloody coup. Unsure. Or perhaps the event is a mystery. A secret lost to time.

Anyway, more about Tantus, later.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
TANTUS (Cont.)
Return to Tantus
The city is awash with the smells of old money and the downtrodden who break their backs for those that control the urban sprawl's unlimited wealth. Its markets are an insanity of sound and color as the hard working hawkers ply their trade while keeping a wary eye out for thieves conducting their own craft. The docks are a hive of activity as ships come and go at all hours of the day as well as at night, clandestinely. Dockworkers unload the cargoes that the dockmasters log into their tomes and the hidden contraband that is smuggled into the city.

This is Tantus.

Its wealthy and powerful call it the Heart of Civilization and the Jewel of the Southern Seas; however, if it is a heart then it is broken and if it is a jewel then it is flawed. Crime rules the city's streets and corruption rules its highborn. Some say the city is cursed and will one day be flung into the Nine Hells by the Gods for the many crimes its citizens have commited in the name of evil forces best left unnamed.

Yet, there is hope for Tantus.

Heroes come from all over Tarras. They come for the hope of finding fame and prestige, but they also come to help try to purge Tantus of the great evil that infects the city's soul. For it is believed that the city's destiny is the world's destiny. If Tantus falls into the Hells, it will drag all of Tarras with it.

Therefore, Tantus is often the battleground between the forces of good and evil. And, sometimes, a hero's allies change from day-to-day as the city's powerful guilds and noble families twist the city's complex policies and taboos in order to advance their own corrupt agendas.

Heroes face an upward battle in the race to save Tantus, no, the whole world from damnation. They can only count on their companions and the few believers who fight to save Tarras, a world most believe is destined for destruction.

Destiny!

It is the unyielding force that drives and shapes Tantus!

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
TANTUS (Cont.)
Tantus: Sliver's Canteen
In the heart of Tantus's infamous Magick District is the prestigeous Academy of the Arcane Word, a sprawling campus of magical learning that has trained some of Tarras's most powerful wizards and warlocks. It is an arcane university renown for having almost no standards other than if you can pay the high tuitions, you can attend classes at the Academy. Exceptions have been made for the gifted (known as The Magicked) but such unique students are very rare.

While the Academy of the Arcane Word is famous in its own right, it isn't the university's magical history that sets it apart from the other magical colleges and institutes of the Magick District.

It is Sliver's Canteen.

For as long as anyone in the city can remember, Sliver's Canteen has stood on the edge of the university's Circle of Mages. The simple two-story building doesn't look like much from the outside and its interior is even less impressive. However, the watering hole is considered the first place that visitors to Tantus should investigate if they wish to find adventure opportunities in the city.

All manner of heroes and magical talents can be found at Sliver's Canteen at all hours of the day. The Canteen never closes, which suits its owner just fine. Sliver is an enigma. No one is sure if he is even a real person since his "described appearance" varies depending on who you ask each day. What is known about the mysterious owner is that he has never been seen in his canteen -- at least, no one can prove it was him.

The day-to-day operations of the infamous tavern is run by an old male catfolk named Nails (male catfolk Ftr5/Wiz6). The feline humanoid is a mainstay behind the canteen's bar, and he rarely sleeps. It is rumored that he has been cursed to live forever and that the only way he can die is if the God of Dreams kisses him on the forehead. Nails is mute on the subject; although, he takes great interest in anyone who has an affinity for dream magic.

Sliver's Canteen is infamous for one other feature -- The Door of Forever.

There is a door on the building's second floor that is rumored to be a magical gateway to other worlds (and possibly other time periods). Those that visit the canteen for the sole purpose of using this mysterious door always leave disappointed. The Door's magic is thought to be random and subject to the Will of the Gods. The truth is unknown but those that have been able to find and use the Door to travel 'elsewhere' always return changed in significant ways (if they return at all).

Some believe that the Door of Forever is the key to unlocking a person's Fate. Those that have returned through the Door have often gone on to become renown heroes, leaders of nations, or black-hearted villains. As long as the Door continues to exist, Sliver's Canteen will remain a beacon of adventure for those heroes willing to seek out their destiny in Tantus.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
PLANETOUCHED
Aasimar [VG]

Patron Deity: Balder.

Bladeling

Racial Traits: Racial Handbook (p. 7).

Patron Deity: Morrigan.

"Do you smell that? Ahhh! It is the smell of a hundred-thousand broken dreams." - A bladeling warrior returns home to Tantus

Genasi [EEPC]

Patron Deity: Melora.

Subraces

• Genasi, Air (EEPC, p. 9)
  • Genasi, Earth (EEPC, p. 9)
  • Genasi, Fire (EEPC, pp. 9-10)
  • Genasi, Water (EEPC, p. 10)

Gith [MTF]

Patron Deities: TBD.

Subraces
  • Githyanki (MTF, p. 96)
  • Githzerai (MTF, p. 96)
  • Pirate of Gith (see below)
Pirate of Gith
Still to be done.

Glimmerfolk

Racial Traits: Racial Handbook (p. 3).

Patron Deity: Pacha.

Stonechild

Racial Traits: Racial Handbook (p. 6)

Patron Deities: Oberon and Titania.

Tiefling

Patron Deity: Raven Queen or Zehir.

Subraces

• Abyssal (UATOBM, p. 1)
  • Infernal [all] (MTF, pp. 21-23)

Triton [VG]

Patron Deity: Nethuns or Thor.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
TANTUS (Cont.)
Tantus Development

I'll be detailing more about Tantus here as well as on Facebook. I'll likely take a stab at "The Event" first as well as going into details about Tantus's Royals.

Tantus Locales
Academy of the Arcane Word
Circle of Mages
Magick District

Other Details
The Event
The Highborn
The King [and Royal Family]
The Magicked

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I've decided that 4e just isn't for me (or, at least, not for this setting). Therefore, this setting is going to be systemless until I decide upon a ruleset for it.

Last edited:

Remove ads