From Citadel to Bastion: The Sunless Citadel

GruTheWanderer

First Post
OOC Thread: http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26451
Characters: http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26666

On a sweltering summer day, six companions have gathered near the town of Oakhurst in the country of Yeomanry. It has been several years since the great wars, but there are still dark creatures afoot and opportunities for the adventuresome.

Farah, Lamont, and Quendros have been chasing an interesting mystery. The goblin tribe infesting the nearby ruins (called the Sunless Citadel, though no one knows why) ransoms a single piece of magical fruit to the highest bidder in Oakhurst once every midsummer. They've been doing this for the last twelve years. Usually, the fruit sells for around 50gp, which is all the townspeople can bring themselves to pay a goblin. The fruit, apparently an apple of perfect hue, heals those who suffer from any disease or ailment. They sometimes plant the seeds at the center of each fruit, hoping to engender an enchanted apple tree. When the seeds germinate in their proper season, they produce a twiggy mass of twisted sapling stems. Not long after the saplings reach 2 feet in height, they are stolen - every time. The townsfolk assume that the jealous goblins send out thieves to ensure their monopoly of the enchanted fruit. The three friends are interested in how the goblins came to possess such a wonder and how they steal every sapling grown from the fruit's seed.

Ashrem, Khaira, and Moon have also heard about the Sunless Citadel. Another party of adventurers, locally based, delved into the Sunless Citadel a month past. They were never seen again. Two human members of that ill-fated adventuring party were brother and sister, Talgen Hucrele (a fighter) and Sharwyn Hucrele (a wizard). They were part of an important merchant family based in the town of Oakhurst. Kerowyn Hucrele, the matriach of the family, offered Kaira (who she occasionally hires for parties and festivals) salvage rights if she and her friends find and return with the two lost members of her family - or at least return the gold signet rings worn by the missing brother and sister. She offered them a reward of 125gp per signet ring per member of their company. If they bring back the Hucreles in good shape (of good mind and body), she will double the reward.

Learning of their mutual interest, the six sometimes companions have come together in Oakhurst to learn more of the Sunless Citadel and its secrets.

Many of the names and much of the flavor text in the following story is taken from The Sunless Citadel by Bruce Cordell, Wizards of the Coast, 2000.

Last edited:

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
In the endless plane of the mindscape, Ashrem Bayle floated silent and unmoving. Before him stretched a barren wasteland of broken rock and grey earth. Here and there a blackened, twisted tree struggled to break the earth. He retreated here sometimes, to be alone in self-reflection. The world inside his mind was not a pretty place, but it was his and it was peaceful. Master Sorren had told him that the mindscape was a reflection of the subconscious.

"No wonder it is so barren," Ashrem thought solemnly.

Still, it was better than it was. He had met a small group of people whom he now called his friends. Only after he had been around them for a time did he notice the first of the twisted little trees. It was a start. Their companionship was welcome.

His body sat crosslegged on a bed back at the Ol' Boar inn. There his friends prepared to embark on a small quest under the employment of a local merchant. It was a noble enough cause, and it would pay for further travels.

"It is time", his thoughts echoed across the plane. He reached out to his physical body.

Ashrem's eyes opened slowly and he looked at his friends.

"I am ready", he said quietly.

Last edited:

StalkingBlue

First Post
Moon is sitting on his haunches on the seat of his chair, hands clamped into his armpits as if to keep them from running away. He is sitting very still, his eyes on the tankard in front of him. The right, unmasked half of his face looks as blank as the leather mask on the left.

At Ashrem's words, he nods slightly.
You'd have to look again to detect the tiny smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.

Last edited:

Vargo

First Post
"Well, I don't know about everybody else, but I'm excited," Khaira emotes. "I've sung so many songs about the heroes of legend, and here we finally have a chance to make those legends ourselves!"

"Speaking of legends... Let me see if I can remember any regarding the Sunless Citadel."

[OOC: Bardic knowledge check v.s. any legends surrounding the Sunless Citadel or the fruit produced within.]

Last edited:

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Lamont sits at the table with his companions, sipping a glass of wine. Only half-paying attention to the conversation, he has his nose buried in a book, slowly reading a story through the spectacles which continue to slip down his nose. Upon hearing Khaira speak, he closes the book and sets it on his knee.

"Oui, my friend, many a tale has been told of this place. Hopefully we can make some tales of our own, and chronicle them for all to see."

garyh

First Post
"Aye, there's plenty of glory to be won here," Quendros commented. "I'm eager to take my share."

OOC: Only sig I'm leaving on the thread, since it has a link to Quendros' character sheet. I've deleted the rest.

Last edited:

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Khaira searches her memory for vague rumors and lost stories, and comes up with several possibilities.

The traffic through Oakhurst now travels along the New Road between Hardwick in the west and Coldfair Green in the east, but there used to be another road from Oakhurst to Fort Baxter in the north. The Old Road ran right past the Sunless Citadel ruins, but fell into disuse because of goblin banditry.

The Old Road also skirts the Ashen Plain, a lifeless land. The desolation is attributed to the ancient rampage of a dragon named Ashardalon. In a similar vein, legends suggest the Sunless Citadel was the retreat of an ancient dragon cult.

novyet

First Post
"Goblins?" Farah's hand trembles slightly on her wineglass, barely controlled anger visible. Just as quickly it is gone. "Goblins that terrorized the roads, are now farmers? Something doesn't add up. And this dragon cult...very strange." Farah goes back to drinking her glass of wine. "I'm ready when all of you are."

Last edited:

StalkingBlue

First Post
At Farah's words Moon straightens, drains his tankard, and looks around at his friends expectantly.
"Tales," he whispers. "Let's go make them."

Last edited:

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
OOC: I'm going to assume we are in a private dinning room.

Ashrem spared a grin for his diminutive friend. "Yes. If indeed Hucrele's familiy still lives, which I doubt, they will not appreciate our delay."

With that, he stood and let out a long sigh. "Has everyone gotten their equipment. I must retreive some things from my room and I will meet you all outside."

-Moments later-

Ashrem emerged from the inn wearing his armor and holding his dark cloak open to allow in what little breeze their was. He held his spear in his crossed arms. He walked over and leaned on one of the inn's porch supports.

Casually he wiped the sweat from his brow and then closed his eyes. He had learned many things from Master Sorren, among them, the ability to control what you feel. In a moment, he began to feel much cooler and comfortable. While in reality he was still pouring sweat under the broiling heat, he felt it as a cool fall day.

OOC: Autohypnosis, got to love it :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases