Purple Index Cards: On-the-Fly Setting and Plot Collaboration

SabreCat

First Post
The only thing I do not find awesome about this system is the Achievement cards. I like the idea of them, but they are not very numerous and not very diverse, and sometimes very difficult to achieve in the given session.
Glad to hear you've enjoyed the purple cards! They're the defining feature of my own game, and I miss them when playing in other campaigns.

As for the Achievement cards, yeah, if you look upthread a bit you'll see I ditched them entirely after a while. I still think they're a neat idea, but they need to be drawn from a separate pool or just checked off a list (maybe with some "Secret" achievements, to carry on in the Xbox 360 vein?). Plus you'd need lots more of them.

Thanks for the reply and the new card! I'll throw this one into my own deck and see if it comes up. ^.^

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
I want to share the most epic thing that ever happened with Purple Cards in my campaign. Basically, using the card used to create an all new NPC, a player introduced a commander in the dragonborn kingdom's army (warlord). Another player, in a loose interpretation of "It was I the whole time," revealed that that the newly introduced dragonborn was actually the father of a player's deceased character (a dragonborn barbarian).

There was a lot of magic in that session, and the father actually got to speak with his deceased son. Both warriors dedicated to Bahamut and the dragonborn empire, being able to speak to each other in spirit was a VERY unique experience for everyone (both fictitious and real) involved. The whole thing was so epic, and the player of the deceased character actually took the new NPC in as his main.

-edit-
I am also gonna share the other Purple Cards me and my group made.

Suddenly, a Hoard of Tiny Little Trolls. Thousands of Them
Play this card to declare that a swarm of some sort has entered the scene (a swarm of scarabs pour out of a clay jar, a bunch of faeries jump out of a tree, etc), and to declare the swarm's first action. Afterwards, the swarm obeys its own instincts.

Gain Minion XP,
or Monster XP for an insightful explanation of the swarm's entrance into the scene, or an amusing explanation of the swarm's antics.
+ Minion XP if the if the swarm appears at an inopportune moment.
(Yeah, that one IS a spin off of "I was in the box the whole time," but we likes it, Precious.)

-edit 2-

Do It Now, Gohan!
Play this card when an ally makes an attack to declare that your character shouts encouraging words to an ally. You aid that ally’s attack (+2 to attack roll), and the attack counts as brutal 2 (any damage dice showing 1 or 2 are rerolled until they show a higher number).
Gain Minion XP,
or Monster XP for acting out a war-cry truly inspiring.
Show Me Yo Moves!
Play this card to challenge another character (enemy, PC, or NPC) a contest of skill. Narrate the challenge your character makes and the terms of the contest. The DM will determine how the contest is to be resolved and what skills are involved.
Gain Minion XP,
or Monster XP if the challenge initiates a quest.
+ Minion XP the target backs out.
+ Minion XP for showing off your badass moves
Clash of Steel
Play this card when an enemy within your melee or ranged basic attack range makes the same kind of attack (melee or ranged) against you or an adjacent ally. Make that basic attack vs. the enemy’s attack roll – If you hit, the enemy’s attack is canceled, and the enemy takes your basic attack damage. If you miss, the enemy’s attack hits you.
Gain Minion XP,
or Monster XP if you provide a stunning or suspenseful description of the duel.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] OVER NINE-THOUSAND!!
Play this card when you attack to declare that you unleash so much energy with it, the surrounding ground shatters. The squares on the ground that are in or adjacent to you and your targets’ squares become difficult terrain.
[FONT=&quot]Gain Minion XP, or Monster XP for a thrilling description of your onslaught. + Minion XP if you used an action point or daily power for the attack.[/FONT]​

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
After last nights game, a player tells me:
"Those plot cards are consistently creating some of the best moments of the game."

"I was here the whole time!" - the party was attacked by waves of barbarians. I was resolving it as a skill challenge. Planning on 4 waves of attacks, and running the climax as an actual fight.
One of the players declares that minion #14 on the left is actually an evil wizard, 2nd in command (to a dragon). I had them roll initiative, the evil wizard won but 2 PCs were close. I had him delay, until both PCs attacked him, then had him flee. If the PCs controller, or leader/controller had gone first he would have died right there.

The next scene the players were given a bunch of minions and had to hold off a small enemy force (including the evil wizard). All the PC minions had a little flavor - "Laughing Birk" was insane, one was lawful good, "Fred jr XII" was proud of his long family history, etc. Laughing Birk runs runs away from the fight, and gets around behind them.

Pointing to an enemy minion that was identical to himself, they could have easily been tribe mates.
"Dont I know you from somewhere Yes, you were the one with the squid tentacles coming out of his head"
-shocked silence
"You were there when that damn fish-flower ate my porridge!"
-he charges an hits the enemy minion. After the table finally quit laughing I declared the (2 hit) minion dead out of sheer surprise. Laughing Birk ran off again, and the two surviving PC minions bailed as well.

End of session - having finally defeated the horde,
the PCs are now looking for a lost underground civilization, but had run out of immediate clues. I was expecting them to be forced to put that quest on hold until the snow melted, and take care of some other minor quests.
"I know the perfect place"
The dwarf player says: "There is an underground dwarven city not far from here, why don't we go ask them about it? (he suggested a place about half way between his homeland, and there best guess of the others location.)
-- of course they would know about it. It might even be the same place, with the dwarves colonizing a failed human city .... at the least the dwarves will know where the cursed lands are, and have rules against using Those tunnels Suddenly the quests I had planned look less interesting than dealing with a city of reclusive dwarves, and a long underdark hike to their true destination.

PS: It took 3 sessions to wrap up the aftereffects of the Magical Event Plot card that I wrote about in an earlier post. The party now has a over 30 fanatically loyal barbarian warriors plus twice that number of grateful, dependent non-combatant women, elderly and children.

Last edited:

Xethreau

I've been watching Avatar, The Last Airbender. SUCH a D&D-type show, and obviously purple cards were in play! I got inspired, and thought up these two.

Exit, Pursued By a Bear
Play this card to declare that a fearsome and hostile creature has entered the battlefield. Describe the creature; at least some of the information you impart will be true.
[FONT=&quot]Gain Monster XP,
+ Minion XP for entertaining the table with the shocking entrance of the fearsome beast[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Black Umbrella
Play this card to reveal a hitch, complication, or revelation that would ruin a character’s plan. At least part of that hitch comes true.
Gain Minion XP,
Or Monster XP if this directly negatively affects you
+ Minion XP for entertaining the table with the unforeseen shift of circumstance

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
My players are not fond of "hurt the party for a small reward" cards,
but ill throw in Rykunangel's bear card. I have also added the following:

Pride
we need more monologs!
play before combat, or when enemy has an obvious advantage. They monolog the details of their current cunning plan.
If used in a public setting, the monolog may be delivered as an aside, or directed solely at PCs.

Wrath
Pushed to the breaking point, an ally or enemy develops a seething hatred of someone else.
If played in combat they are now marked by the object of their hatred. If they have to put themselves in danger to attack that target their first attack is at +5 damage.
a player immediately asked if enemies could hate each other.
I'm thinking they can, but probably won't waste a standard action to attack OAs, aura damage, inclusion in an area effect could all result.

A little to the left
Play on your turn. Slide a target 1 square. If played after an attack, slide a target 3 instead.

Called Shot
play before an attack, name your target. If the attack hits the target is dazed, knocked prone, immobilized or otherwise afflicted until end of next turn.

Also added Sloth, & Ulterior motive

Edit: now that I read it here, im not that fond of A little to the left any suggestions to increase its effect, or add an out of combat use? perhaps : target either allies or enemies, slide all targets up to 1.

Last edited:

Xethreau

I certainly understand not liking my "hurt the party" business; my group likes this simply because they are willing to face additional trials for more awesome storyline.

Having completed Avatar, I came up with two more cards.

Change of Heart
Reveal this card to declare that an enemy defects from his or her allies. Elaborate on the character’s motivations; at least part of the information you impart will be true.
Gain Minion XP,
+Minion XP for aweing the table with a compelling tale of treachery.
I Saw You Die!
Play this card to reveal that a character once thought dead is apparently still alive. Describe the circumstances and nature of this revelation; the information you impart may or may not be true.
Gain Minion XP,
OR Monster XP if the revelation is not to your advantage.

Now, Evilhalfling, as for your A Little To The Left's out-of-combat function, perhaps a targeted character acquiesces to a seemingly harmless request? A bluff check may be required.

SabreCat

First Post
Don’t Let It End Like This
Play this card when bloodied or unconscious. Describe how you grit yourself against the pain or claw your way back to life, and spend a healing surge as No Action.
[FONT=&quot]
Gain Minion XP,
or Monster XP for entertaining and dramatic portrayal of your will to fight on.[/FONT]​
War Kittens?
Play this card and narrate the daring intervention of someone’s familiar/animal companion/mount/etc., or if none such is at hand, a wandering small animal of your choosing. The creature might trip someone up, claw someone’s face as a distraction, or the like.

[FONT=&quot]Gain Minion XP,
or Monster XP for particularly entertaining description or for an intervention not in the party’s favor.[/FONT]​

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Don’t Let It End Like This
Play this card when bloodied or unconscious. Describe how you grit yourself against the pain or claw your way back to life, and spend a healing surge as No Action.
[FONT=&quot]
Gain Minion XP,
or Monster XP for entertaining and dramatic portrayal of your will to fight on.[/FONT]​
War Kittens?
Play this card and narrate the daring intervention of someone’s familiar/animal companion/mount/etc., or if none such is at hand, a wandering small animal of your choosing. The creature might trip someone up, claw someone’s face as a distraction, or the like.

[FONT=&quot]Gain Minion XP,
or Monster XP for particularly entertaining description or for an intervention not in the party’s favor.[/FONT]​
Hah! I like these :)

I'd have XP'd you if I could, SabreCat.

Xethreau

I vote that "Authentic Frontier Gibberish" be changed in name to "Oh Stewardess, I Speak Jive"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases