Play experiences: Warden...

fba827

Adventurer
I'm currently debating between a couple PC concepts. One of which is a warden.

It would be outside my usual "comfort" zone for play style, but it's fun to try out new stuff so I'm at least considering it. However, because it is an unfamiliar playstyle, I run the risk after a couple sessions to either like it or hate it once the 'newness factor' wears off.

So I thought I'd ask here... what have been some general observations from play regarding wardens?

Do you find their marking capabilities or general ability to lock down enemies to be good?

Their damage does not seem to scale up very fast with level (which is fine with me) but just wondering if that observation is incorrect?

At first glance, it seems the best general tactic is to keep yourself surrounded by as many as possible at all times in order to mark the most (and the occasional power that seems to do secondary effects to enemies you have marked) -- or is there some other type of tactic that presents itself on a regular basis for the different warden powers?

Stuff like that -- any general observations?

(obviously, every situation is different, just trying to get a feel if my play habits will enjoy it even after a few sessions, or if i should just not do it and instead go with one of my other pc options).

I'm trying to get info from actual play experience, or from watching others play a warden in your group. something more than just the observations i can infer from reading the powers in the books.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Herschel

Adventurer
Three words sum up the warden in my experience DMing and playing beside: Hard To Kill. Buggers are mighty durable and can really take a beating, especially a Dwarf or Warforged. Their forms can be pretty nifty and they have some rather handy control powers too. They like being surrounded, and having the most HP and surges in the game serves them well.

Amaroq

Community Supporter
I'd agree with Herschel - I've been playing a fighter alongside a Dwarven Warden, and he's been very impressive.

I find the fighter is a bit better at locking down a specific chokepoint, and dealing with a dozen minions, but in all other regards the Warden kicks some serious butt.

He's a lot more battlefield-mobile than my fighter, does about equivalent damage, has worse defenses but higher HP and surge value, and most importantly, the player has had tons of fun playing him.

I think the 4e Defender mindset, in general, takes a smidge of getting used to: you really do want to put yourself in harms way, mark the baddest bad guys, and generally play as though you have a 16-year-old's belief in his own immortality.

Once you embrace that to the hilt, its a fun role to play.

Shin Okada

Explorer
One save at the beginning of one's turn is so nice, especially at Paragon+ level. It is not an automatic success. But it doesn't need an action either. That means a warden may shrug off Dazed or Stunned condition before taking his turn. IMHO AC becomes less and less important as the tier goes up, while countermeasures against conditions become more and more important.

Also, I really like Guardian Form powers. They are cool and useful at the same time.

And, after the release of Primal Power, Warden class got wide range of options. And gaind much better use of their plain "mark". Now a warden can even detonate all the marked minions at once.

Nytmare

David Jose
My only experience with Wardens is having DMed for one for like 4 or 5 sessions so far. He's incredible at shutting down the bad guys ability to make any kind of sound tactical choice beyond "well, I guess we should just all sit here and attempt to beat on this guy until he falls down."

Flipguarder

First Post
playing a warforged warden was fantastic:

With a ring of feather falling I jumped off an airship into a battle between undead, medusas and treants.
It took about 5 rounds and being surrounded (literally) by wights, zombies and medusas for me to run for my life. Single best experience ever playing D&D. DM did not expect it at all.

Wardens (I believe) are the single best class to scream "CHARGE!" and fight however many enemies you can see.

playing a warforged warden was fantastic:

With a ring of feather falling I jumped off an airship into a battle between undead, medusas and treants.
It took about 5 rounds and being surrounded (literally) by wights, zombies and medusas for me to run for my life. Single best experience ever playing D&D. DM did not expect it at all.

Wardens (I believe) are the single best class to scream "CHARGE!" and fight however many enemies you can see.
That's probably true. ;)

They are really really tough.

The mark power itself is not that impressive.
But once you add their forms, enemies really have trouble attacking someone else but the Warden. And unfortunately, just running away won't help them - it's not as if he's stationary, it's just that anyone else becomes stationary when too close to him. :)

In a way, I think the Warden probably is a little like a Barbarian - you really want to spend one daily in every combat. Of course, that is not always possible, since you don't get that many. But once you deem a fight tough enough, using a form is crucial.

Wepwawet

Explorer
I'm also playing a Warden and I'm loving it!
The damage is really low, but they have a lot of battlefield control, and they're mighty durable.
Last session we fought a dragon and I was able to lock it down (prone) for a few rounds while the strikers did their thing.

Flavorwise it's great to be playing a kind of "magical warrior".
My Warden is a Genasi multiclassed into Swordmage. Weird combination, I know, but you don't need all those feats (like Sudden Roots) to make it work perfectly.
I see him a bit like Gaara (most of my effects have sand floating around) with some arcane knowledge. And a longsword.

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
If you really want to laugh at conditions in Paragon, get a fighter multi and go for the Dreadnought PP.

This guy really does not worry about conditions.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
If you really want to laugh at conditions in Paragon, get a fighter multi and go for the Dreadnought PP.

This guy really does not worry about conditions.

Exactly what the Warden in the group I'm DMing for is doing. Not only can he shrug off effects like mad, but he also has something crazy like 125 hitpoints at level 11! Contrast to the same-level Assassin who has 62...

Remove ads