Random questions about random abilities and rulings

kyonu

First Post
Okay, as the name states. I'll get right down to it. This is about a couple character or weapon ideas I have, and I need to know if it can be done, or if I did it wrong. It may also pertain to random questions, so feel free to help if you'd like!

1) Imbuing weapons with permanent spells. In either Pathfinder or base 3.5, there are spells such as "Bestow Curse" that have a permanent affect until healed. Their range is touch, so I'd have to cast it in melee (or any other modified way to deliver touch affects.)

So by this, if I empowered my weapon with the ability of "Bestow Curse", and my weapon hits the foe (Assuming Wraithstrike, ignoring armor), the weapon would have "touched" the enemy; would this cast the Bestow Curse upon him? (Assuming I empower the weapon with the Continuous/Use-activated charge.)

2) If I can, could I do this with multiple touch affects via rules for adding new spells? (Such as Contagion.)

3) Can you freeze an enemy covered in water?

4) Can you cast Hold Person on an enemy, then drown them with various under-water affects?

5) Can you imbue multiple Armor Spikes with different enchantments? (ex., Have one with +2 fire damage, have a second one with +2 cold damage)

6) Are there different types of non-inflamed oils you can create that burn hotter than generic flask oil?

7) Can you change the AOE of a spell? (ex. Grease has a 10ft square; can it be changed to a 20ft line, or a 5x5 cube?)

EDIT: 8 ) To a certain point, ability damage stacks, and gets low. Many effects only bring it down to 1 point, but which abilities will put the effect down to a 0? (ex. Feeblement brings Wis and Cha down to 1, but not 0.)

So far that's all I got.. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
1) You don't have to use wraithstrike, just hitting the enemy would count. Once you bypass their AC, you've hit them, unless some houserule is in effect.

2) Not sure what you're asking.

3) No more so than normal.

4) You can try.

5) Strictly speaking probably not, but but I'd let you.

6) Not officially as far as I know, but it's not unreasonable.

7) If you have the proper class feature or metamagic feat, then yes.

8) Penalties can't go below 1. Damage and drain can.

kyonu

First Post
Well, thanks for the answers! Gives me more ideas, but takes some away, that's what I like to hear.

As for 1, it was a confusing question, sorry. But that means it WILL work? (Touch attack via weapon)

2) Sorry for not being more clear; I meant can you have "Bestow Curse" and "Contagion" on the same weapon, taking affect at the same time?

Thanks for your time :)

Dandu

First Post
1) Yes. Just hit them and it will take effect.

2) Yes you can.

I feel obligated to warn you that your envisioned weapon will be expensive and ineffectual for the cost unless you use the Spell Storing enchantment. However, that will require you find some means of refilling the weapon with the spell.

Dandu

First Post
If you permanently enchant your weapon to cast Bestow Curse every time it hits someone, it will discharge every time and also be very, very expensive.

kyonu

First Post
Well if I used the pathfinder magic item creation, for just Bestow Curse it'll be 32,000 gold, and for the two 64,000. At least high-level characters could use it... But those were awesome examples, but I should still probably get some nice ability damaging affects through this method. Thanks for your help!

Dandu

First Post
Note that save DC and caster level for Bestow Curse will be the minimum needed to cast the spell by default... ie, a will save DC of 16 and a caster level of 7.

At the level you can buy it, the thing won't reliably affect the enemy or penetrate SR.

kyonu

First Post
I have this nasty habit of making very melee-based casters, and with a sorc I generally have a very high charisma. If it uses my character's DC, then that'll be better--if it used the set, built-in DC, then boy oh boy I better pick correctly. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases