Converting to 2e?

kpmgeek

First Post
Has anyone tried running this in 2e? I'm debating between back-converting this or running The Night Below and would appreciate any tips.

Funny you'd mention Night Below. It's what got me into D&D in the first place, and the whole "telepathic monsters in the underdark" thing inspired the trillith. Sadly I haven't touched 2e in 10 years, so I couldn't tell you where to start.

kpmgeek

First Post
I should mention that this game is being run online through VTT software due to the geographical constraints of two of my players. That's the main reason I'm interested in converting WotBS, I like having the premade hi-res maps that I can just drag into ScreenMonkey.

pdiddy

Explorer
I am currently running Paizo's Rise of the Runelords with 2E. I haven't had any problem back converting it. I have also picked up the hardbound copy of WotBS with the idea to use it with 2E.

Before I back converted the adventure path I took a careful look at how I wanted to handle a couple of things such as:
a. Experience Points
b. Treasure
c. magic items

For my current campaign, I decided to focus most of the XP on story rewards and therefore be able to control what levels the characters are at at the various points throughout the adventure path. I am currently budgeting XP based on the assumption that a single classes fighter will gain 2 levels per published adventure (6 adventures = ending at about level 12). If I was doing WotBS I would likely do something similar with 1 level per adventure.

For monetary treasure, I am sticking with the amounts given in the published adventure. However, I am finding this to be a bit low and may have to up some of the treasures.

For magic items, if it is a pretty standard 3.5 magic-item I am replacing it with a 2E equivalent. So a potion of cure light wounds becomes a potion of healing. For the magic-items unique to the adventure path, I am trying to convert them to 2E while keeping the uniqueness.

I take one of two approaches when back converting encounter.
1. Just replace the 3.5 version of monsters with an appropriate number of 2E monsters keeping in mind the current level of the party. Maybe use the guidelines given in DM Options: High Level Campaigns to make some monsters tougher or weaker.

or

2. A quick and dirty conversion especially if there is no 2E version of the monsters.

At low levels I keep the hit points as given in the published adventure. At higher levels I take between 50% and 75% of the given hit points.

I determine Hit Dice by dividing the hit points by 5. I then round up or down depending on how things are going.
Thaco is calculated as 20 - Hit Dice
AC = 20 - 3.5E AC
And special abilities are approximated.

kpmgeek

First Post
Thanks, that certainly helps. Although currently I'm leaning towards The Night Below, but dreading making decent maps for it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases