Proposal: Minotaur - MM, (Dragon,) PH3 - which one(s) allow for L4W

Walking Dad

First Post
This came up after a question in the Discussion thread:

2) the only one of those players active is mohollaran I believe

Probably a proposal would be in order. Either play as the large-weapon wielding minos without the feats from Dragon or PHB3 (and subsequent articles) or play as the one in PHB3 with full feat support?

So:

Should be allowed that one plays either as the large-weapon wielding minos without the feats from Dragon or PHB3 (and subsequent articles) or play as the one in PHB3 with full feat support?

evilbob

Explorer
This seems like a reasonable suggestion.

Another equally reasonable thing, at least as it seems to me, would be allowing the single remaining person a special permission to play a minotaur as defined by the MM and then just integrate the normal rules for everyone else. End result: fewer house rules.

This suggestion is based on the assumption that no one will want to create a new minotaur using the MM rules once the PHB3 comes out anyway.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I think we should just consider the old Minotaur grandfathered in only for those characters who still have them and for all future minotaurs use the new rules, I think it's the easiest way to do that.

renau1g

First Post
I think we should just consider the old Minotaur grandfathered in only for those characters who still have them and for all future minotaurs use the new rules, I think it's the easiest way to do that.

This. I like this. It's not the proposal, but I think I would vote yes on this.

Nebten

First Post
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the proposal but DoM is right on with his suggestion.

Its best for everybody keeping this simple and replacing old rules when new ones come in.

covaithe

Explorer

I'm on record in a couple of places as opposing this, on the grounds that we should have the same set of rules for everyone. In theory, someone who makes a character starting tomorrow should be able to make one that's mechanically identical to any of the characters built on Day 1.

If it were just minotaurs, and one character affected, I'd not worry so much. But it's going to come up for bugbears, too, and there's more of them. What we do here sets a precedent there.

renau1g

First Post
yeah who made a bugbear :blush:

I think I agree with cov on this though, we need to have it clearly defined and available to everyone, otherwise it'll seem like those that have the more 'monstrous' PC have been given special treatment.

That's why I suggested have two variants of the minotaur (and likely bugbear, whenever WOTC gets around to them) race. We can call one the longarm or something, whatever. This actually might help out our setting as well if we can say a new island appears, perhaps with an ancient Greece sorta vibe, with minotaurs, medusa, etc. Adds a new exploration site, a reason why there's now minotaurs who can't use large weapons, but they've learned other tricks (their feats, etc.)

Just a thought.

Velmont

First Post
Suggestion:

A Greek like island have decided to find back a long lost colony. To their surpirse, the colony have become barbaric, but also, they have discovered the region have a lot much more evolve an civilized. So instead to reestablish connection with their former colony (the Savage Lands) they decide to start to create contact with Daunton.

renau1g

First Post
Should be allowed that one plays either as the large-weapon wielding minos without the feats from Dragon or PHB3 (and subsequent articles) or play as the one in PHB3 with full feat support?

I vote YES to the proposal forcing a player to choose one of the two minotaur options. The MM version with oversized weapons, but without access to the minotaur feats/PP, etc, offered in Dragon, PHB3, and subsequent WoTC offerings, or the Dragon version, with full access to all racial feats, etc, but without the oversized weapons.

If this gets approved, I'll propose the fluff later.

Remove ads