Warlock pacts and other warlock questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyron

First Post
I'm sure this has been asked before, but as a non-subscriber, I can't search. I am trying to make a warlock and it's confusing the crap out of me. I'm pretty new to D&D so bear with me. I just have some questions that I haven't been able t find a straight answer for:

1. I cannot figure out pacts, what do they do other than role play value? I know they affect certain spells but I can't find any specific descriptions of what they actually do.

2. Do the pacts give me additional invocations, or just a bonus to certain invocations

3. How do at-will spells work? Do they count as invocations or are they additional?

4. Someone told me that warlocks get familiars, but I thought they didn't, can't find a definitive answer.

5. When it say's known invocations in the warlock chart in Complete Arcane, does that include the automatically learned powers like detect magic and deceive item, or do I get to pick a new invocation at 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, etc.

If I think of others I'll ask them, but if you more experienced gamers can help me out I'd appreciate it. It's just really hard to get clear info on warlocks, it seems to be spread across several books and wizards articles.

Confusedly,
Xyron

fba827

Adventurer
based on a term or two used here, I am guessing you are playing 3rd edition D&D, right?

Which is fine, I just wanted to make sure I (or someone) gave you the right answer since the answer varies depending on edition of the game.

Xyron

First Post
3.5E, but my DM is pretty chill so he'd probably let me use stuff from 4E if I wanted to. I just want some general advice because most of the stuff I've read has not been very clear.

Dandu

First Post
1. I cannot figure out pacts, what do they do other than role play value? I know they affect certain spells but I can't find any specific descriptions of what they actually do.
In 3.5, pacts are made by Binders, not Warlocks. Unless you're multiclassing with Binder, you do not need to worry about pact magic.

In 4.0, warlocks do make pacts, but you're not playing that.
3. How do at-will spells work? Do they count as invocations or are they additional?
No idea what you're talking about.

Invocations are essentially at-will spell like abilities with somatic components.
4. Someone told me that warlocks get familiars, but I thought they didn't, can't find a definitive answer.
They don't.
5. When it say's known invocations in the warlock chart in Complete Arcane, does that include the automatically learned powers like detect magic and deceive item
No
, or do I get to pick a new invocation at 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, etc.
Yes

Xyron

First Post
Ok, that's where my confusion came from, I was getting some info from 4E and other info from 3E.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Could you ask this in the 4th edition or 3rd edition rules forum as appropriate please.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads