Proposal: Let Players Sell Stuff to Other Players

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Ugh. I make two post, and the one that is an aside derails the thread.

I'd just point out that 4e magic items essential function is to improve attack, defense and damage. I also didn't say I did 100% random magic items. The gentle guiding hand of the DM is there to make sure everyone get the essentials. (So no, no wizard has ever get stuck with a club +1 in my campaigns!)

Just don't let your PC go without level appropriate torso/neck/weapon items. After that, everything goes. Wheeee, wheel of fortune! Best magic items are the one you didn't expect but that still turn out to be useful. They are the ones you remember.

---

None of that answer the concerns I expressed in my first post; the one that was directly relevant to the thread.

KenHood

First Post
Ken are you saying they should be able to sell for PHB values, 20% of PHB values, or something in between? I'd like to have more details, right now this proposal actually doesn't say much.
Uhm...

No.

No specifics from me.

Covaithe wrote that y'all had discussed selling items, but nobody made a proposal, so I figured I'd make the proposal and see what decision gets hashed out in the process.

elecgraystone

First Post
Ugh. I make two post, and the one that is an aside derails the thread.
it's not derailing it in the least. I think people trying to offload items they didn't want is one of the reason people are asking for a way to sell items off. Addressing how items are given out might just solve the issue better by cutting down on the number of items sold.

I'd have lobbyed for the mandatory use of a random magic item generator for at least 25% of any given treasure!
LOL well you did say this Mal. So a totally random roll for a wizard could be a +1 club. ;)

Just don't let your PC go without level appropriate torso/neck/weapon items. After that, everything goes. Wheeee, wheel of fortune! Best magic items are the one you didn't expect but that still turn out to be useful. They are the ones you remember.
Well there is an issue with that. What you think is useful and that the player think is useful are two different things. I agree with making sure people have the three slots filled, but giving out one of those slots that the player isn't thrilled with and the player might sell it off and start saving up for the item they really want. It makes smart sense since the next Gm might give them the item they really wanted. However they start the next adventure behind in items. Some people take a dim view of making them wait for the item they want when the next guy gets his.

Looking at your first post, I'll address them.
#1 magic items are not going OUT of the system: Don't see this as an issue. When characters get to a certain level their items start moving up to +2, limiting the pool of items by plus. Second, players aren't guaranteed a buyer. If you are looking for an item NOW, your only option is generic buyer for 1/5. Quite honestly, the only items sold will be items outgrown or 'random' items.

As far as the buyer getting a more powerful item, I say so? If Joe the 3rd level buys a +2 sword, it'll be a LONG time before he can expect another item drop. he better be REAL sure he like it because he's going to be looking at it for a long time. he'd better be sure he likes not having magic armor or neck items...

#2 Long time players have more 'contacts': How does this even matter? As I understand it, the OP was looking for a kind of auction house (like WOW if you play). More or less you put an item in the auction house thread and people bid. The highest bidder gets it. How does knowing people alter that?

The other option talked about was allowing item trades with retraining. This too wouldn't be affected by contacts.

#3 Even if DMs endeavours to balance things out, we are talking several months per adventure: The reverse is just as true. A player with an item they don't want has the same waiting period. A player that has a fire sale to dump the items he doesn't like has to endure those months of being behind the others in the group. If he keeps the item, then he's forced to use an item he doesn't want for several months.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
LOL well you did say this Mal. So a totally random roll for a wizard could be a +1 club. ;)

That's absurd. Why would the wizard gets the +1 club, just because we rolled a +1 club? That's an extra random item, remember? Everyone already has the basics so the random items are up for grabs.

Odds are some melee guy will claim the club as his backup weapon and get a laugh out of it. 'Look, I'm a real thug, now!' Seeing that he likes the image, the DM will surely arrange for a few situations where he can use it (a bar brawl, an infiltration mission where you are disguised as, you guessed it, thugs, etc.)

Then, beside its use as a backup weapon, the player starts finding any excuse he can to use his club. Scaring off tax collectors. Hammering his tents pegs into the ground. Tenderizing meat.

Before long, the player can't picture his PC without his trusty club +1 and he specifies that when he sleeps, he has his club with him in his sleeping bag.

That's what happens when I play, anyway.

Well there is an issue with that. What you think is useful and that the player think is useful are two different things.

Yep. He might be wrong and I might be right. We'll never know until we actually try the item, will we?

Being surprised is part of the fun. If I knew exactly what next adventure would bring me, I'd stop playing.

Looking at your first post, I'll address them.
#1 magic items are not going OUT of the system: Don't see this as an issue. When characters get to a certain level their items start moving up to +2, limiting the pool of items by plus. Second, players aren't guaranteed a buyer. If you are looking for an item NOW, your only option is generic buyer for 1/5. Quite honestly, the only items sold will be items outgrown or 'random' items.

Items outgrown are precisely the problem. The leftovers of a high level PC are very valuable to a lower level PC.

As far as the buyer getting a more powerful item, I say so? If Joe the 3rd level buys a +2 sword, it'll be a LONG time before he can expect another item drop. he better be REAL sure he like it because he's going to be looking at it for a long time. he'd better be sure he likes not having magic armor or neck items...

I am as harsh as any DM, but I won't let a PC get butchered for lack of appropriate defenses because he got a lucky deal on his sword. That's way too metagamey for me. He may not be my first choice for level +4 items, but he's gonna get his level appropriate armor. Not doing so would 'punish' the player for a flaw of the system. It's not his fault if a sword +2 became available at 25% value. Incidently, if the guy is a defender, I would also be 'punishing' the people he is defending. That'd be silly.

The only fair way to resorb the problem would be to quickly provide better equipment for the other PCs. Of course, that leads to a monty haul.

#2 Long time players have more 'contacts': How does this even matter? As I understand it, the OP was looking for a kind of auction house (like WOW if you play). More or less you put an item in the auction house thread and people bid. The highest bidder gets it. How does knowing people alter that?

In a perfect world. But a direct deal between two players who know each other well and promise to reciprocate is much more worthwhile. (I sell you my sword at 30% for your new PC but when your 6th level bard gets a new neck slot item, you sell me the old one at 30%). People will inevitably push for that. It does have the advantage of being the easiest way to manage the sales.

But if we go with strict rules preventing collusions, we need to enforce them! That means we'll need someone to police the auction system like they are the damned WTO. Judge and reviewer will need to check every new items on a character sheet to make sure if it has been handled properly by the auction house.

Kinda silly, really. I just want to play D&D.

#3 Even if DMs endeavours to balance things out, we are talking several months per adventure: The reverse is just as true. A player with an item they don't want has the same waiting period. A player that has a fire sale to dump the items he doesn't like has to endure those months of being behind the others in the group. If he keeps the item, then he's forced to use an item he doesn't want for several months.

The proposal won't change this. Whether a PC sells at a fraction of the value to a PC or a NPC, he still has only a fraction of the value. If he has to wait to buy what he wants, I'd rather he didn't create twice the unbalance!

A word of advice to players in this situation; keep the item! Sell it only when you can immediately replace it with what you want. Meanwhile, odds are you may learn to appreciate the item. With a little imagination, just about everything can be made to be cool, even a frigging club +1.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
But if we go with strict rules preventing collusions, we need to enforce them! That means we'll need someone to police the auction system like they are the damned WTO. Judge and reviewer will need to check every new items on a character sheet to make sure if it has been handled properly by the auction house.

Me too, we have enough to do without adding more steps to our review process ;)

elecgraystone

First Post
To reviewers: I understand not wanting more work. that's why i didn't expect this to pass. However I think the item swap at retrain could work. it wouldn't really be more work that checking normal retraining.

That's absurd. Why would the wizard gets the +1 club, just because we rolled a +1 club? That's an extra random item, remember?
If the wizard is one item behind after having the basics, why wouldn't he get it? I'd expect anyone that got it to go sell it.

Odds are some melee guy will claim the club as his backup weapon and get a laugh out of it. 'Look, I'm a real thug, now!' Seeing that he likes the image, the DM will surely arrange for a few situations where he can use it (a bar brawl, an infiltration mission where you are disguised as, you guessed it, thugs, etc.)?
Really? In my experience whoever was down in item count would take it for the 1/5th cash value. I can't see keeping a item 'for a hoot' that's worth 100's of gp.

Then, beside its use as a backup weapon, the player starts finding any excuse he can to use his club. Scaring off tax collectors. Hammering his tents pegs into the ground. Tenderizing meat.
Instead, take a normal club and to those things. Spend the money you got from the magic club towards an item you'd need.

Yep. He might be wrong and I might be right. We'll never know until we actually try the item, will we?.
Not really. A character with no clubs on his wish list most likely doesn't want or need a club. Let me put it this way, the fighter could have a normal longsword as a backup instead. Same hit and more damage. Why would he even think about the club?

Being surprised is part of the fun. If I knew exactly what next adventure would bring me, I'd stop playing.
Correction;being surprised by items is fun for YOU. I'm perfectly happy to be surprised by the adventure and perfectly happy to get items from my list.

Items outgrown are precisely the problem. The leftovers of a high level PC are very valuable to a lower level PC.
I don't see how there would ever be a large pile of leftovers. Once characters get their items where they want to, I'd think they'd just upgrade them (+1 to +2). The only leftovers I can see would be from items that don't exists in +1 form.

I am as harsh as any DM, but I won't let a PC get butchered for lack of appropriate defenses because he got a lucky deal on his sword.
luck? No the player put themselves knowingly into that situation. I see it the same as a player putting high stats in scores not their prime stats. They too may have a 'lack of appropriate defenses' and We'd allow it because they knowingly did it. It's the same as if we gave a pool of money and you bought your equipment. If someone used it all for one item, they know they are leaving other things underdeveloped.

The only fair way to resorb the problem would be to quickly provide better equipment for the other PCs.
No, the only fair thing would be to allow the character to reap the consequences of their actions. If I was the GM if a situation like that I'd point to the sword then the auction house and say 'if you want items any time soon, you're going to have to use your wealth for it. You are already over what you should have.' I guess I'm just 'meta-gamey'.

But a direct deal between two players who know each other well and promise to reciprocate is much more worthwhile.
That'd take a lot of time and patience. You be better off farming a character and killing then off using this retirement option. You'd get exp too. Since it doesn't seem that collusion's would be worth it, based on time vs return, I wouldn't think it'd be much of an issue.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/living-4th-edition/272613-proposal-new-option-character-retirement.html

A word of advice to players in this situation; keep the item! Sell it only when you can immediately replace it with what you want.
My advise is the exact opposite. Treat it like a band aid and take it off quick. If you sell it off you wait less time to get the item you want. You might even be 'fast tracked' for it. Otherwise you can end up with that item for many levels, This is especially true with one of the three main items. If you wait until a replacement comes around, you could end up waiting till a +2 drops...

I'd rather have a more difficult time for one adventure if all the rest of them will go smoother by having the item I want. This becomes even more important when you look at item sets. No matter how interesting or fun you think a +1 club might be, if it isn't in the set it isn't going to be used.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
In many of your points, you are amalgating the purely random items I like to use in my tabletop campaign for a certain % of treasures with the items that I purposefully chose (but do not cherry pick from a wish list). The latter are 50 to 75% of my items in tabletop (depending on how lucky the random rolls are) while they are 100% in L4W (So sadly, no club +1 in L4W).

If the wizard is one item behind after having the basics, why wouldn't he get it?

The +1 club is only an issue in a party with all the basics. I wouldn't want to adventure with the well equipped wizard player clamoring for the +1 club just because he feels it's his turn to get an item and he wants to sell it for 72gp!

He wouldn't get it because he got no use for it and already has the basic items required to be effective. Being a mature person, he knows that whoever gets the club will not tip the balance of power in his favor so he's not getting screwed. He knows that the DM, not being a complete moron, will not be thinking that the party is up to snuff thanks to a backup weapon and therefore bigger items are forthcoming which the club +1 won't affect. He knows something else is around the corner and he's eager to find out what.

My tabletop party know that while you can sell the items at 20%, the party remains more powerful if they keep them and find a use for all of them. And, you know, it's fun to figure out a use for all your loot. I had a player who collected all the weird potions nobody else wanted, no matter how apparently inane (That'd be Velmont, btw). Then in one memorable encounter he managed to use about five of thems. That included one silly potion that just changed your color! It's probably in his top 5 favorite gaming moments in well over 10 years. If he'd sold them, he could barley have gotten a healing potion for them. What's the point?

What good is the 72gp you'll get for the club +1 when what you really need to improve your PC is 2600gp for that Staggering axe +2 you are eyeing?

Let the martial character Keep it as a backup weapon. It's worth a helluva more than 72gp to the whole party if he gets disarmed.

renau1g

First Post
In tabletop I'm with you Mal. In my 2e group we had a decanter of endless water, a seemingly useless item at least as far as combat/skill type challenges went, but man we always came up with uses for it, from "Geyser"ing a goblin off a ledge, to the steam to create some concealment, it was the most interesting item I've come across. That game was about 10-12 years ago now and I remember it still. Once we got that Instant Fortress also we used it as an offensive weapon, throw it at an enemy hoard and order it to open up... ahh good times.

Part of my problem with random items in 4e is that so many of the items are so bland...I remember being so excited when the devs talked about getting rid of the Christmas Tree effect of magic items in 4e, but then they built monster defenses with the assumption that PC's would have a +1 weapon/implement by level x, then trade it in by Y etc etc....so sure there's no +2 Str gauntlets but what we're left with is a bunch of really bland, flavourless items.

elecgraystone

First Post
LOL Decanter of endless water... I've had good times with that too. And the Instant Fortress? You don't know how many things I squished with that. memories. :)

To reply to bland, flavourless items that's all in how you look at them. The formula for 4E is A(power) + B(item) + F(feat) = C(effect). I don't care how white bread A and B are as long as C is cool. The issue with random B is it makes getting a cool C harder. It's an unexpected monkey wrench when you've planned thing out the fluff to make C as cool as possible. That even assumes you can still get the same C with a different B.

Let the martial character Keep it as a backup weapon. It's worth a helluva more than 72gp to the whole party if he gets disarmed.
Actually no, it's worth more as 72gp. A +1 club has the same hit and worse damage than a longsword. I'd hand the defender that and keep the club for money. I'd rather have the martial character have a good backup weapon, even if that means a non-magic one.

He wouldn't get it because he got no use for it and already has the basic items required to be effective. Being a mature person, he knows that whoever gets the club will not tip the balance of power in his favor so he's not getting screwed.
See, when I look at this situation, I'd expect the fighter to be the mature one and not insist on an inferior weapon on the off chance he got disarmed a few times and he's run out of mundane items that work better.

He knows that the DM, not being a complete moron, will not be thinking that the party is up to snuff thanks to a backup weapon and therefore bigger items are forthcoming which the club +1 won't affect. He knows something else is around the corner and he's eager to find out what.
Ah... You are doing a LOT of assuming. I'd never assume an item is there as a 'back up'. Never. I assume it's there for someone to actually use. When the mature fighter passes on an item that's not going to be in his daily use, I'd assume it goes to the gp of the person with the lower wealth. If not it hurts both his wealth and the wizards. It hurts his since another Gm is going to look at it's full value when giving out future items and the wizard could be 72gp closer to the item he wants.

Case in point: If I'm a wizard and I get a second wand I look around and see if anyone else needs a wand. If no one does, I pick the better wand and the other can be sold either by me (if the GM says he put it in for me) or someone else (if the Gm says nothing and they have less wealth). Unless I can use two implements at the same time, why do I need a backup?

And, you know, it's fun to figure out a use for all your loot.
Not in a living world it isn't. At least not for everyone. Even in the good old D&D days, if an item wasn't going to be used, we sold it off.

What good is the 72gp you'll get for the club +1 when what you really need to improve your PC is 2600gp for that Staggering axe +2 you are eyeing?
Let me turn that around a bit. What good is a +1 club in a group where someone needs a Staggering axe +2 to improve? IMO less good than 72gp. At least they got 1/36th closer to there goal and they are more likely to get better/more items from their next GM since they have less items and wealth since that +1 club makes them look like they have 360 gp more wealth but adds nothing to their effectiveness.

Remove ads