Proposal: Let Players Sell Stuff to Other Players

Antithetist

First Post
There are always going to be people selling obsolete items - when you get a +2 Longsword, you no longer need your +1 Longsword, so you sell it. The game expects you to be selling at 20% in those circumstances; if you sell all your old stuff at 100%, you get more money than expected and end up more powerful than you're supposed to be.

Tenchuu

First Post
Hmm. What about a trade clause? That is, you can't sell at 100%, but you could trade for another magic item at same level and cost. It could mitigate some of the concerns raised in this post by supporters, while not messing with the money curve.

Walking Dad

First Post
Also the situation is very gamist, when one player has to sell an item for 20% to a NPC, so the other player in the same group can buy it back for 100% :confused:

D&D merchants must get really rich very quickly...

"No, Gregorius, hero of this town, I cannot give you more than 20% for this sword... the armor there? 100% price, we do no discounts!!!" ;)

Considering destroying items in front of NPC merchants and damn them for their greediness ;), not willing to pay more than 20%.

Mewness

First Post
The D&D economy may be silly, but a situation in which PCs can sell stuff to other PCs does not make things realistic. The Hanged Man is an abstraction. It's an artificial construct that causes every PC in the world to be in greater proximity than is at all believable. PCs are not professional merchants. They don't have the reputation, the stability, the capital, the contacts, and I think it is just silly to assume that someone would spend a lot of money buying something from a random heavily armed thug who is going probably to be on the opposite side of the world slaying dragons when you decide there's something wrong with what you bought and want to complain.

Velmont

First Post
PCs are not professional merchants. They don't have the reputation, the stability, the capital, the contacts, and I think it is just silly to assume that someone would spend a lot of money buying something from a random heavily armed thug who is going probably to be on the opposite side of the world slaying dragons when you decide there's something wrong with what you bought and want to complain.

I have a professional trader as a PC actually (ok, officially, he is a Bard)... he is a green adventurer who need to gather money to pay a new boat as his have been sunk by pirates. He even have the background Occupation(Merchant). He only need the Profession Skill of D&D 3.5.

But I must tell it is harder to make a merchant in 4th edition than in 3rd. My merchant in 3rd was prosperous, owning even a shop. he was the richest character in LEW, but mainly because he was the highest character in LEW. He never acheive an abusive level of wealth.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases