Next Adventure Path?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Lama (Lvl 13)

Blog Entries

° Ignore Pour

Next Adventure Path?

Has there been any news on Dragon's next adventure path? I have to imagine they're working on another one, right? I think after all they learned in Scales of War, they'd be primed to make an even better series.

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Blog Entries
    WotBS ZEITGEIST

° Ignore RangerWickett
    What sorts of adventure paths haven't been done yet? I'd like to see something like rival adventuring parties questing after loot or something.
    Ryan "RangerWickett" Nock
    Director of the ZEITGEIST campaign saga.

The most cinematic adventure path for 4th Edition and Pathfinder.

Now available - Admiral o' the High Seas, and ZEITGEIST adventure seven, Schism! For Pathfinder and D&D 4e.

Defender (Lvl 8)

° Ignore Olaf the Stout
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerWickett View Post
    What sorts of adventure paths haven't been done yet? I'd like to see something like rival adventuring parties questing after loot or something.
    I think the Pathfinder AP that Piratecat is writing an adventure for has a bit of this in it. Obviously since the path is still 6 months from starting I don't know a lot about it but it could be what you're after.

Also there is a single Pathfinder adventure that has the PC's racing other adventuring parties to find some sort of treasure. I think it is an Egyptian style adventure.

Olaf the Stout
    Finished running my group through the SCAP, now I'm running them through the AoW AP

I would actually like for there not to be another adventure path in Dungeon for at least a year. What I would like is lots of one-shot adventures for the late heroic/early paragon tiers as well as a few epic level adventures. At most I'd like to see a 3-4 part adventure. I'm burned out on APs still.
    "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson 18th century English author.

"Everything must be at once for six month old puppies, 6 year old children and gamers of any age"

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore brainstorm
    I'd like to see a 4E reboot of the Age of Worms. For new APs, I'd like to see a Zombie Apocalypse-type campaign, a Dragon Apocalypse campaign, a Far Realm incursion campaign, or a campaign that could lead a normal fantasy world to end up like Athas (in preparation for, you know, Dark Sun).

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

° Ignore Festivus
    I like the direction they are going with Chaos Scar, and hope that sort of thing continues. I would also very much like to see a return to publishing adventures from the player base. So of my favorite adventures in the past were made by people I had never heard of before.

Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

° Ignore Riley
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Bovine View Post
    At most I'd like to see a 3-4 part adventure. I'm burned out on APs still.
    Me too.
    "This skull is wreathed in fire and holds knowledge about many thingsŚmostly flammable things."

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Bovine View Post
    At most I'd like to see a 3-4 part adventure. I'm burned out on APs still.
    Exactly. An adventure series needs to be only long enough to tell the story.

While Adventure Paths are really successful, I think the constraints of having to stretch the AP out from levels 1-30 (or 1-20 for 3.X stuff) is the reason that the H/P/E modules and the Scales of War adventures (and Age of Worms, too) are so combat heavy and turn people off.

The way XP works, those encounters have to be there to make sure the party is the right level for the next adventure. In 4e, that's what, 250+ combat encounters to go from level 1 to level 30. In nine modules for the H/P/E series.

Without the pressure to cover the entire level spread, the adventure pacing and combat heaviness can be dictated by the story and common sense.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

° Ignore Hellzon
    I have to say, I'm surprised to see other people than me argue that you level too slowly in the latest edition.
    I have a gaming blog - about D&D4, roguelikes and various gaming

"Rule 2: Give the players opportunities to use their cool abilities, because a neat class ability or spell that doesn't get used isn't fun. For this reason, I tried to cut off PC limbs for months after Velendo got access to regeneration." - Piratecat, Piratecat's Story Hour

Quote Originally Posted by shmoo2 View Post
    While Adventure Paths are really successful, I think the constraints of having to stretch the AP out from levels 1-30 (or 1-20 for 3.X stuff) is the reason that the H/P/E modules and the Scales of War adventures (and Age of Worms, too) are so combat heavy and turn people off.

The way XP works, those encounters have to be there to make sure the party is the right level for the next adventure. In 4e, that's what, 250+ combat encounters to go from level 1 to level 30. In nine modules for the H/P/E series.

Without the pressure to cover the entire level spread, the adventure pacing and combat heaviness can be dictated by the story and common sense.
    QFT.

Half the point of a unified leveling structure (and no xp to create magic items) is that you can adjust the advancement rate to whatever is appropriate for the campaign. If you must write an adventure path from 1 to 30, then set the pace of the campaign to fit whatever works for the story. If you're only playing one giant arc, then 250 encounters is too many. Pick 7 encounters per level (or 5, or whatever). If the GM wants a broader story, he or she will add in the extra encounters that matter.

But, more seriously, do we really need to go from 1 to 30? If you write an adventure arc from to the end of epic level, it really needs to finish by taking down a god or demon prince. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's hardly the only D&D campaign worth running. Revenge of the Giants also has too many combat encounters, but at least it's an appropriately scoped arc.

-KS

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast