Star Wars Saga: The Dawn of Defiance [OOC Thread]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I took a look, possum.

I tried to add a picture, but it would not let me. I did join the campaign though. Maybe you can set permissions for members?

We are also missing the OOC thread and the RG thread in the links.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Welcome back, mate.

Possum, I see you added the other links to the Campaign Manager. Also I saw that New Thread discussions can be started now.

Can you start an Album called Dramatis Personae and see if we can drop out character pictures in it ourselves?

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Can we done with split scenes with different timelines from now on? I don't want to do any more simultaneous scenes at two different times. Once we move along, that should be it. We moved on. Please save the conversation idea for a later when you have a new opportunity like any other normal game.
No offense, Perrin, but Mack is the one that split the scene here. You can hardly ask the other PCs to change rooms when there's an ongoing conversation, especially after they specifically tell your PC to "go ahead, I've still got things to do here" (after your last OOC request).

I respect your desire to keep IC and OOC knowledge separate (not reading posts when your PC is not present), but on the other hand I also strongly believe we should not let the limitations of the medium we're using dictate how and when our characters react to thing they would normally (and quite organically) react to... I can keep a little "summary" block going if that would help (ongoing scenes in chronological order)?

[sblock=ONGOING THREADS]Darius conversation (Cockpit; Sloor and Okeefe present, Darius just left for mess hall; Nearly concluded(?))
Report to oversight conversation (Cockpit; Sloor and Okeefe present; Ongoing)
- Mess Hall conversation (Mess hall, simultaneous with following; Mir and Sloor present; Ongoing)
- Cargo hold conversation (Cargo Hold, simultaneous with preceding; Mack and Darius present; Ongoing)[/sblock]

Songdragon

Explorer
One thing in most of my posts I considered that the entire group was together. There would not be such an important conversation without everyone... especially when I say Mir looks at Mack and Darius and then it somehow said that they are not all together.

Is it really necessary to go back and finish each and every little conversation or small action? Maybe an important event, that may warrant such, but not each thing we seem to do. If Sloor wanted to see the message he did not have to leave the entire group to do so and then have some conversation and then come back. I can be written that he saw it and then came back and still with the group. PM is not the only one having issues with always going back and splitting the timeline up.

Binder Fred

I guess he could have come back to the mess hall just after... But why would he when the persons he wanted to talk to where already there in the cockpit? And what stopped/is stopping Mir from coming forward if she wants to be in on that part of thing (I'm assuming we're talking about the present Sloor-Okeefe discussion, right?)? To Sloor's mind he's just gathering info on what *can* be done, and the thought that Mir needs to be there for some reason has not occured to him -- nor is likely to, honnestly. If Mir is wondering what they're discussing up front, she has plenty of tools at her disposal though: ask Darius when he comes back to the mess hall, lean into the central corridor and listen (they're not exactly being super discrete) or just wander up and ask.

We're drifting away from "different time-lines" and going into "never physically split up the group" territory here though. Both might be issues that need discussing, but we shouldn't confuse the two I think.

Especially when I say Mir looks at Mack and Darius and then it somehow said that they are not all together.
When did this occur? Recently? (I must admit that I missed it :(). Mack and Darius did describe their respective scene exits pretty explicitly, I thought...

In any event, wouldn't the proposed "Ongoing thread" informational sblock take care of this kind of confusion?

Last edited:

possum

First Post
The thing is about the "separate subthreads" part is that there have been complaints about it from the others, and even I am beginning to get a little burnt out over the slower pace that they seem to begin. I know that it has the possibility to be helpful, but there have still been complaints about quoting IC posts in the IC thread. I've done it myself, but it does clutter up the thread. So, can we keep that to a minimum, say "Hey, GM, I think you missed this part."

Any questions? Comments?

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Actually this was the only game out of my 30+ where quoting posts was even tolerated. The crew here is experienced and good enough to role play without them. :)

I would say get rid of all the extra OOC cues as well. A good writer doesn't need them either. Just address the character being spoken to by name in the character's speech. ;)

I think if those are removed, things will be easier to read and force things to be uncomplicated if the writer wants to have their post understood.

I don't think anyone objects to splitting party to do two things at once. The driving two different speeders, for example.

If we have a split party, then both groups should be active and we are accomplishing two things at once. This would speed the game up, not slow it down.

Any situation where we have characters sitting on the sidelines waiting, should be avoided. If it happens, the scene needs to be resolved in a few days RL so everyone is back playing again. It discourteous to exclude someone from play without their permission.

Binder Fred

And... I'm back home from the holiday visits.

Frankly, what you guys are saying makes no sense to me. 1. The split time-line system is specifically geared to save time and avoid players doing nothing. By it's very definition it allows people to advance all threads simultaneously without holding up 'later' threads (finishing up the Sloor-Okeefe threads while later Mess Hall and Cargo Hold threads continue, for example). If we were roleplaying threads sequentially, we would technically still be at the end of the Sloor-OKeefe discussion! 2. The only time I can recall players being idle when they had opportunity to post is when Perrin specifically requested that the system not be used just now. 3. Granted that the same scenes are roleplayed, the proposed 'new' system has no mechanism to speed things up in any way, shape or form. Quite the reverse, as perticular conversations stall out waiting for input from this or that player, 'trapping' a character that would otherwise be able to advance the plot elsewhere.

What I'm hearing, therefore, is that the proposition's goal is actually to cut out 'extra' scenes (very much in quotation marks) and limit roleplaying to things that are directly related to advancing the main plot. That would be such a loss, IMHO, but is this correct?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases