Star Wars Saga: The Dawn of Defiance [OOC Thread]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I was actually hoping for more of an opinion here. ;)

1. Quoting other characters in the IC thread
2. Binder's "<Response Mack>" cues
3. Mack's picture on every IC post
1. I understand why people do it. In my own games, I ask people not to do it in an IC thread. Generally is it easy to refer to who the character is talking to without it. And, with our smaller group, I don't think it is necessary myself. My question is: Is the need for it outweighing the clutter it causes? Specifically for our group of players, different games it is necessary.

2. The <Response> cues. Personally, they are very helpful for speed reading and review. With the gray letters on black background, the clutter is not an issue. Less the the OOC blocks the site has.
However, I tried it once in another game because people were ignoring my conversation hooks and I got "wtf is that!?" and I never tried it again.

3. The Avatar picture is standard for me now in every game at EnW and other sites where you only have a single account. I like them, helps me remember what characters look like. I do it for as much as the readers. Also it tends to be more important in the beginning of game.

But, as related to this game, I will be honest. Even after all these years of familiarity of the characters, I can only remember that Sloor is greenish with four arms, Darius is male and Mir is female. I could not tell you their hair color or anything, but I do recognize them on a tactical grid. :p

Again, I am not asking people change nor criticizing, definitely not my intent. I am looking for opinions here, cuz I think we can discuss it honestly. If anything, it might impact some decisions I make in other games.

Songdragon

Explorer
All the points you have mentioned, are fine by me. I have had no problem with any of it. It is sometimes helpful and other times not. Even I seem to manage to miss a prompt or two.

I wish EN had some more options like forums for our Everflame game.

[sblock=Picture of Mir for ya PM]
Here's a pictiure. I guess since I look up things on my character sheet often enough I see the pciture all the time. It helps to have my own webpage for the character on my computer too.

http://www.songdragon.net/pics/mir_malone.jpg

http://www.songdragon.net/mir_malone.htm
[/sblock]

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
1. I understand why people do it. In my own games, I ask people not to do it in an IC thread. Generally is it easy to refer to who the character is talking to without it. And, with our smaller group, I don't think it is necessary myself. My question is: Is the need for it outweighing the clutter it causes? Specifically for our group of players, different games it is necessary.
I think they're pretty essential myself (obviously ;)), to know not only whom you're addressing, but what you're specifically replying to (almost a requirement when you're doing multiple scenes at once). I personnaly dislike long paragraphs responding to multiple interventions by other other characters. Quoted text are more dynamic, encouraging short, or at least specific, responses that simulate real time conversations better, I think -- though YMMMV, of course.

2. The <Response> cues. Personally, they are very helpful for speed reading and review. With the gray letters on black background, the clutter is not an issue. Less the the OOC blocks the site has.
However, I tried it once in another game because people were ignoring my conversation hooks and I got "wtf is that!?" and I never tried it again.
Developped these things way back early in my PBEM carreer in a game where we posted the entire ongoing conversation each time we posted, replacing the tags with our name on them with our replies and adding our own where we wanted answers. When all the Response tags were gone, the conversation was done. :)

I do have to explain it every time though (and remind of their non-exclusiveness a couple of times too (it's not because Sloor is expecting a response from Mir that Darius can't speak up, etc)), but I think it works, both as an OOC reminder and as an expression of non-verval IC reality: you can usually tell (from where his attention is, looks, pauses, facial expression, small prompts) when someone is expecting an answer. You call also usually tell if it's expected from anyone present, or mostly from a specific someone. Feel free to start using them here if you guys feel like it.

Re pictures, Sloor and TB have one in the RG, as does everyone else, I think (EN World galleries are down since the reboot, so they're not there *right now*, granted). I go take a look whenever I need a refresher. :) And you forgot "muscular". Green, four-armed and *muscular* - Oh, and usually grinning. Green, four-armed, muscular and *grinning*!

Dr Simon

Explorer
Well...

1. Doesn't bother me. It's certainly useful when replying to more than one statement, less so if not but I don't think they clutter the thread too much. We're all pretty controlled about quoting only what's necessary.

2. It's the only time I've seen it used, but it's quite an interesting way of, as BF says, indicating non-verbal cues etc.

3. To be honest, I'm not sure what Darius looks like myself! I think TF left a vague description that he's got red hair and blue eyes; my intent has been to portray him as something of a cypher anyway, keeping all his feelings locked away under a placid exterior and very little change to his facial expressions. I'll see if I can find a suitable picture.

Edit: Here's what I inherited: "Darius is tall and lean, with short cropped brown hair. He dresses like you expect a mercenary might." Although he's only 5'10", not what I'd call tall and lean. Since his appearance hasn't featured much, I may change some of it, although I like the idea of looking "ordinary".

Edit 2: This seems like a reasonable version.

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
[MENTION=17674]possum[/MENTION]; Would like your opinions too, please. This is as much a GM discussion (which is half of my perspective) as a player one.

Well, I know one reason the IC thread is not too cluttered with quotes is that don't do it. ;)

I also tend to be very liberal with the enter key to have short paragraphs. I picked up that habit early on, since I have trouble reading paragraphs on the computer that are longer than 3-4 lines. I start skipping things and not reading carefully. :/

Heh, on the pictures for descriptions, I know where to find Sloor and Mir, that is not the problem. I am just not interested in going to find the RG thread to look unless I absolutely have to. Honestly, I don't have time to go back and review that stuff very often, because I am playing/GMing way too many games. :p

I am an organized person and like efficiency. I typically already have about 16-20 browser windows open and having to keep switching to find information slows me down and causes mistakes. So things that make it easier for me as a player and the GM, are good. :) That's my point of view at least.

I am sure some people think saving a minute here or there is not significant, but I have a queue of notifications in my inbox for game threads (IC & OOC) needing attention that hits over 30+ on a daily basis and I try to get it all done before midnight. Lost time usually means delayed updates for some game until the next night. Any mistake that needs clarification can potentially stall the game for a day waiting on an answer as well.

I agree, SD, you do highlight a part of EnW that is below standard to me compared to other sites:
1. You cannot easily organize games into sub-forums to quickly find things.
2. You cannot create multiple accounts with avatars to match your character.
3. You cannot link character sheets into your signature without paying extra (I think)

On that note, I wonder if we should not consider moving the game to use the Campaign Manager function. Hmmm.

possum

First Post
I'm fine with everything how it is currently personally. I don't find the quotes or character portraits to be much of a problem, if I ever do at all.

As for Campaign Manager, I have no idea how to even start utilizing it, so I'm going to have to say "no" on that for now.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
In the field for a three day run. Swamped by a mini-super-rush. Should have something for you guys tomorrow night, I hope.

Sorry about that.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I'm fine with everything how it is currently personally. I don't find the quotes or character portraits to be much of a problem, if I ever do at all.

As for Campaign Manager, I have no idea how to even start utilizing it, so I'm going to have to say "no" on that for now.
Here's the example they show: http://www.enworld.org/forum/group.php?groupid=220
It doesn't look that hard.

You link the existing threads and then you can add things in various sections.

Take care BF.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases